Not quite Playtonic, but Banjo N&B anyone?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
AccelDSX

Re: Not quite Playtonic, but Banjo N&B anyone?

Postby AccelDSX » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 am

Whopper744

Postby Whopper744 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:16 pm

I've beat Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Grunty's Revenge, and even Banjo Pilot (all a few times), but have yet to beat this one. Being a big Nintendo guy, I got this one late when I got my 360 in 2012, but always end up losing interest or going onto something else paet way through. Beem conaidering picking up where I lwft off soon (colosium or something) but I just never felt like I was getting the most out of the vehicles. I end up using the original car with small mods over and over again.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri May 13, 2016 5:22 am

I like Nuts and Bolts, but I hate the vehicles. Thanks to its loose physics engine, I struggle to navigate vehicles efficiently and they usually end up bumping into things and falling onto their side thanks to how high the default wheels are. Very frustrating. :x

To compensate, I play Nuts and Bolts in my own special way, following my own rules on how to play it, which makes it more fun for me. I've got pictures too!
I ignore the vehicles almost entirely while exploring. Running around and jumping as Banjo is satisfying, and finding notes, challenges or Jinjos in each of these huge worlds feels very rewarding, and I can exploit old platforming tricks, like attacking off an edge, then jumping and attacking again to get more air time.

If I need to reach a place that 'requires' a vehicle, I quickly build/summon one that has no engines, but only gadgets, like the spring or an egg cannon. Think of it like being able to use Banjo's old special moves from the previous games (like the Shock Spring Pad) anywhere you want. If I don't have the right vehicle parts to get to a particular place, I need to win/find some so I can. This encourages exploration in Showdown Town. The more parts you find, the better.

I only use vehicles for challenges, and they are best for races, which is fine by me, really. They feel like minigames during the exploration part. On my last couple of playthroughs of Nuts and Bolts, I've built a unique vehicle using the most basic and easy-to-get parts (until later stages) for each specific challenge in the game so that whenever I play the game again, I don't have to spend 2 hours designing a new one every time. If these unique vehicles are missing more parts than I own, I will need to beat Grunty or explore more of Showdown Town to acquire them. Again, this encourages me to explore.

However, there are some challenges in Nuts and Bolts where you don't even need vehicles.

For the challenge where you protect Mr. Fit from the Gruntbots, I've constructed a sort-of turtle shell structure to place over Mr. Fit as he does his jog. It's light enough for him to move it by himself. It's equipped with that electric shield thing and an egg turret on the top to kill off the Gruntbots (especially the exploding ones). If Mr. Fit is struggling to move within the shell, especially up hills, I will give the shell a push or lift it up a little bit. He will eventually warp out of it if you take too long though, exposing himself to attacks, so help him whenever you can. That's the rules!

There's another challenge in Logbox 720 where you're supposed to carry that pill though the glubber underwater. Rather than using a Sub-vehicle to deliver it, I carried the pill using a flying machine to the top where the big pool of glubber is, removed the pill, abandoned the vehicle and carried it with Kazooie's wrench and swam through the glubber with it to its destination. You gotta swim fast and not take a wrong turn! There's a lot of tension this way, because of the risk of drowning and getting that trophy in time.

There is one more challenge in the Terrarium of Terror where you need to use a sail-powered car to drive up a spiral to the destination up high, but I hated driving that thing so much, with how slow it is and how hard it is to steer that I just jumped out and platformed my way to the goal, which ended up being faster anyway. You don't even need the stupid vehicle "required" to beat the challenge!

Also, there was one time during a Grunty challenge where I jumped onto Gruntilda's vehicle and forced her out of her seat by attacking her while she was driving. Epic!! (Pretty hard to do though)
It's possible to score Trophies playing certain challenges like this.

I admit, it's kind of sad, pretending that Nuts and Bolts is a Platformer, and it's still not as fun as Kazooie or Tooie (might even be boring for some this way. Additionally, there's no consequence for dying outside a challenge either) but for me, Nuts and Bolts is far more fun playing it like a 'Platformer' than playing it like how the developers intended, because exploring by using vehicles feels like a cop-out and they are a pain to drive anyway, no thanks to the absurd number of props littered all over each level. It's an ironic waste, how Banjo on-foot is actually executed better than main focus of the game (though the Jiggoseum is a terribly boring place to explore on foot. Use vehicles for that level instead).
Next time you guys play Nuts and Bolts, try it my way, maybe! ;)

son-mann

Postby son-mann » Thu May 19, 2016 12:38 am

I personally enjoyed N&B. Not because it was a Banjo game, because it barely was. I just enjoyed the ability to make pretty much whatever you wanted. Oft times I'd be falling asleep when I come up with an idea to get that T.T. Trophy. It was a good game in terms of creativity for the player.

My favorite part was honestly finding all the really weird glitches that make no sense. There were a LOT of glitches. My personal favorite was making a fairly specific vehicle that, when flying the right way, it maxes out your speed, you stop moving, and slowly rotate. Anything that comes into contact is instantly thrown at top speed, as well as yourself. It stops the glitch and you go flying. It's WEIRD.
side view:

..........[seat]
.........[detacher]
.........[super fuel]
[folding...[small....[folding
...wing ]....jet].......wing]

top view:

.............[/\folding wing]
[folding wing<]....[seat].....[folding wing >]
.............[\/ folding wing]

So, essentially you have four folding wings rotated sideways attached along the jet. The only open space adjacent to the jet should be at the bottom. The normal forward direction of the wing is facing up in this configuration. If you hover for awhile, pushing the control stick fully in one direction [doesn't matter where], you'll do the glitch. I always do it at Nutty Acres, but it should work anywhere I think.

Banjo0

Postby Banjo0 » Fri May 20, 2016 6:24 pm

The campaign was bleh, but if you played multiplayer with a friend and didn't take it too seriously its a blast

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun May 22, 2016 5:20 am

WyvernWings, holy crap, that method of yours is awesome. I've admittedly played through a lot of Nuts & Bolts on foot, but you've taken it to a whole new level. I need to try it your way some time!

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Mon May 23, 2016 3:33 am

From what I recall, the spacious worlds would be much too empty to maintain the illusion for me, but I can't deny I'm impressed by his tenacity. If I ever feel like booting that game up again, I'll definitely have to put that method to the test, just to verify.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Mon May 23, 2016 6:00 am

Ha ha, yes, the worlds are huge and wide open (save for the annoying number of props), so exploring worlds can take a while, but it feels very rewarding to find notes or a new challenge after a power run! like I said, this method may not be for everyone, but it's worth a try.
That said, I absolutely love the art and visuals in Nuts and Bolts, and running just lets me admire the scenery, whereas I can't do that with the vehicles.
Play it like a Banjo game and see what it does for you. ^^

Return to “Past Glories”