Rare Revealed: Dream

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Rasmusic

Rare Revealed: Dream

Postby Rasmusic » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Rare just posted this on their youtube channel :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72kj20YNA0

They both show SNES & N64 Dream gameplay and Beta Banjo-Kazooie gameplay!
That real whale Clanker looks cool ;)

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Rasmusic on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

John Enigma

Re: Reare Revealed: Dream

Postby John Enigma » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:26 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Well I gotta say DREAM on snes looked pretty amazing. Minus the small viewing area, seems a bit too small to me. Unfortunately now I want even more of it shown off. I definitely prefer it over its n64 evolution.

Zita

Postby Zita » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:41 pm

What I found interesting to see was that the test level for Banjo was some kind of temple-level. I remember we saw some video footage of some of the playtonic members working on a level that had a temple-like building. :D Coincidence?

But yeah, I believe the SNES version of Dream looks absolutely stunning. I would have loved to play it tbh. (Although it didn't transfer well to the N64)

| | |

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Awesome. Lots of cool little things to spot in that video.

I am so glad that dream never worked out and that Banjo-Kazooie was born. Can't imagine how different my life in gaming would be without Banjo-Kazooie

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:16 am

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:08 am

The super nintendo version of Dream is definitely the superior version for me. That game looked absolutely amazing! It was fun seeing it's evolution into Banjo-Kazooie, had that concept not been scrapped we would never have know what is arguably Rare's greatest IP. I gotta say I had always viewed Sea of Thieves as a reimagining of "Project Dream". After seeing that video I have to say, that is DEFINITELY not the case.

Honestly I would love for Rare to actually recreate this game (preferably the SNES build)

Maybe one day they'll consider Dream: Land of Giants for xbox one at some point, or you know whatever console comes after it. :lol:

honestly I think if they dont do another B-K after Sea of thieves fans will riot! :P

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:29 pm

I don't think i can put into words how happy i am to see this stuff.

I'm really interested in beta content of games to see what could've been and find out why they decided against some things.

And since B-K is for me pretty much the definition of a jump 'n' run game this video is pure gold for my eyes.
I love seing video snippets of places i've only seen bad quality screenshots of before.
It almost blows my mind to see banjo in the first game style they had.

And the original Dream project on SNES looks amazing, and it really gives me a strong DKC3-ish environment vibe.
Also love how they put little things here and there like for example the little white spots flying around in the trees at the swamp area (video: 1:33).
I don't think many developers do this much to make their game environments feel this alive.

A wonderful early christmas present! :D

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Always cool to see things like this.

NPChilla

Re: Rare Revealed: Dream

Postby NPChilla » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Surprised they never tweaked it and released it for Xbox Arcade, considering how it was pretty much complete.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:01 am

Why have I only just seen this?!

I have literally waited half my life to see this beta footage. I'm in awe.

Can't believe we've got a better look at the 'giant's lair' (test level), early Clanker's Cavern (rumoured 'Fungus Forest') and the forest portrait in Banjo's house (also rumoured as FF). So many mysteries have been clarified through that single video.

Mind-blown right now.
Taylonic Ltd.

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:35 pm

This is so nice to finally see. My whole childhood I wondered about this mystery game, only ever seeing glimpses of blurry concept sketches and hearing rumors. Now we've basically seen every stage of its development! It feels great to be in the know after so long, and there were so many things from the very start that looked familiar.

Stomponadon's origins in the SNES version of Dream,
Conga's oranges were collectibles,
Captain Blackeye, obviously.

And as someone who's terrified of sharks, I'm glad Clanker got a redesign. Good gosh.

Return to “Past Glories”