Buy BK back with Kickstarter money

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
demalmar

Buy BK back with Kickstarter money

Postby demalmar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm

In my opinion, you have got a lot of money more than you were asking at the beginning of the project. Why not using it to buy back the Banjo Kazooie IP? That would allow you to create new Banjo Kazooie games, that you know they sell well. Also, having the IP is also a small step to create your own "Nintendo" or "Disney" in the future, all the characters under a same universe.

Taylor

Re: Buy BK back with Kickstarter money

Postby Taylor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:04 pm

The Banjo IP is worth much more than £2,000,000 -- it's one of Rare's most valuable assets.

People backed the Kickstarter for the Yooka-Laylee campaign; spending it on something else, like the rights to use an IP, would be immoral and possibly illegal. Having an IP without the funds to actually make a game would be useless.
Taylonic Ltd.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Yeah that's not a property that would be cheap, and probably isn't one Microsoft is willing to sell.

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Even if that were feasible (it's not), they'd have no additional funds left over for the game, and would thus either have to run ANOTHER Kickstarter campaign or make a game that lacks a lot of the content Yooka-Laylee is ending up with.

As much as I love the Banjo characters and universe, I'd take a better game with the new cast than a worse game with the old one.

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:44 am

It would be plausible to buy rights to make a BK game, but not plausible to buy the property outright.

MS I'm sure would love how marketable a playtonic made B&K game would be if Yooka Laylee turns out.
But they'd still want it to be a MS exclusive, and would probably exert other controls over the game.

It could quickly become a project Playtonic wouldn't want to be a part of.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Somebody posted on team 17s twitter t'other day "team 17 should buy rare off microsoft"

I laughed.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:12 am

There's something to be said about bringing back a classic series.
With DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze a team of devs from Texas-area, and Japan created a reboot of a beloved Brit-born series ... many fans would say the were successful.

Still -- it's not all about IP. Many here love very similar things about the DKC and Banjo games, but they are entirely different worlds/characters, and are now owned by different companies. What connects them is a common developer.
(Yeah, yeah: DKC and Banjo do intersect in Diddy Kong Racing)

We all have IPs and franchises we love, but we also have also authors, directors, and game devs who create works we love for sharing a similar 'soul' or 'spirit.'
Yooka-Laylee is not the third Banjo. However, Playtonic's new platformer *is* the next in a lineage that began with DKC and Banjo.

For me that's more than enough ... and it will have to be because Microsoft would not part with Banjo for a hefty price.
And Rare certainly wouldn't. It's their baby.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 pm

That would be a terrible misuse of the funds they gathered to make the game.

Plus Microsoft would never sell it.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Am I the only one here who feels an original IP is a better idea than a sequel to Banjo? We're attached to the Banjo characters, but new IPs mean new ideas, new possabilities, new stories and worlds.
I'd rather Yooka Laylee than Banjo-Threeie to be honest, as big of a Banjo fan I am.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:57 pm

Stop picking your nose

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Return to “Past Glories”