Diddy Kong Racing Esque game in the future?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Scrubber

Re: Diddy Kong Racing Esque game in the future?

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 03, 2015 11:14 pm

I'd rather they make something like the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing.

But before they make a racer they need to get their characters known so it can't be for years yet.

Captain_Glen

Postby Captain_Glen » Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 am

I would love to see something similar to Diddy Kong Racing. With the story in the adventure mode, I thought it was way better than Mario Kart 64.

I don't think they need to establish their characters first before putting them all in a cart racer. They can just brainstorm some characters and debut them in a new cart racing game. That's what they did with Diddy Kong Racing. Banjo and Conker didn't have games before Diddy Kong Racing. This would allow Playtronics to gauge the popularity of their characters and select which ones should get their own game first.

At the time I actually thought that Rare were going to give each of the DKR characters their own game. Alas Microsoft killed that dream with Kinnect Sports.

I'd also like to see all the Playtronics characters duke it out in a fighting game. Similar to Super Smash Brothers. However I'd like to see a proper combo system. My favorite fighting game is Dead or Alive. If they could have the deep rock, paper, scissors counter system of DOA with Playtronics characters it would be awesome!

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:16 pm

As much as I hate to say, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed pretty much took on Diddy Kong Racing's style with more speed and aggression. I think a kart racer would be nothing but moot at this point, unless they did something REALLY new with it, or made it more or less an exact clone of DKR--- both of which would sort of betray the staple of interest Playtonic is building here. Go too different, lose the nostalgia fans. Go too old school, lose the new ones. They should just focus on what they've got going on and such.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 pm

I'd love for a DKR revision. I enjoyed DKR DS very much - and will enjoy it if Playtonic builds on the custom race editor. That was fun. Would especially be a success with crossplatform play.

I wouldn't expect the game until about 2020 as Playtonic's fourth or fifth game. There was an interview where I believe it was Gavin saying he'd like to get a second team working on another project and they can give each title about two-years' development and lead to annual releases.

But as for making a DKR type of game, I want karts. Mario Kart alone just doesn't cut it for me.

How do you recreate a kart game though? Make it like smash bros. Characters have different moves to aid them in the race. Yooka can use his tongue to grapple onto an object and make a sharp turn at high speed. Laylee can cause a nearby enemy racer to lose control for just a second (can't turn the vehicle, can't accelerate or brake) using an ear-bleeding scream.

Of course it's hard to speculate on other powers without knowing any other potential racers. But if there ever were an ice-based character who like Elsa can freeze stuff or craft ice, that could be interesting to make a slippery strip of road where you have no traction and can't turn, but you can accelerate. That iced part of the road would be usable by your opponents as well, so you can lead up to some creative moments by throwing ice down on a narrow bridge to require players to be perfectly aligned with the bridge or else they risk falling off.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 7:02 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 04, 2015 7:32 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Return to “Past Glories”