Rare Baddies & Bosses

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Rambunctious

Rare Baddies & Bosses

Postby Rambunctious » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Rare has created some interesting and unique enemies through the years. What are some of your favorite or not so favorite bosses and baddies from past Rare titles?

I've always enjoyed the Kremlings, myself. Also, despite the fact that they scared the living daylights out of me as a child, the Grimlets from Rusty Bucket Bay are actually among my favorite mini baddies as well.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Re: Rare Baddies & Bosses

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:36 pm

The Skedar Leader, Thorn and HAG1 are my favourite Rare final bosses. Kameo had some really cool bosses (except for the Ice Queen, whatever it was called).

Jaresk

Postby Jaresk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:39 pm

It's weird, I was actually thinking about that the other week for Banjo-Kazooie cause I wanted to think of things to maybe draw in case I wanted to draw something that wasn't just Banjo and Kazooie, and I couldn't come up with anything. Which might be part of the reason why I decided to actually replay Tooie. A lot of enemies, I just kinda think of them in a gameplay context. For example, I can remember nostalgically the wall snake eel whatchamacallit from Clanker's Cavern, but I don't really think of them when I think of enemies from the games that I like. I dunno, I think I have a too purist mentality when it comes to those games or something like that.

...Buuut having said that, every time I replay DK64, I stop after Mad Jack, so I guess I like that one enough, lol.
- -

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Mad Jack from Donkey Kong 64 is my favorite boss in all of the classic Rareware games. Mostly because of his creepy looking appearance, is actually somewhat a challenge to beat (though still very easy for me), and of course his demented laugh. I hope that Project Ukulele will also have a monstrous looking boss, that will scare the crap out of children just like Mad Jack did in the good old days. As for my favorite baddie, the viking Kremling named Kosha easily.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:43 pm

I rather liked the bosses in Star Fox Adventures - they were creative and required lateral thinking.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:32 pm

I liked towards the end of the N64 era when stuff started getting really imaginative.

Two examples...
Hag1: having to use a clockwork kazooie to enter the exaust and blow the batteries.
King K.Rool: having to shrink to enter K.Rools shoe to hurt his toes.

Impressed the hell outta me back at the time and it still looks good to this day.

rocho

Postby rocho » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:31 am

Marius

Postby Marius » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Mad Jack was actually one of the bosses that didn't creep me out from DK64 as a child, does now tho..
I thought nearly every boss was creepy, paper k. rool.. even tho it was the ghosts and puffy fishes that scared me.. The giant puff-Fish... The dragon <-- Long time since I played now due to my new tv not being able to play old consoles :( And Army-Dillo second-time...
I'm sure we'll get some recognicable bosses that will be funny, hard or even scary as cupcake... And let's hope it has a boss every Level, makes it more fun and rewarding.. Like u can get into the Levels With pagies, but to unlock the final boss you have to defeat all the bosses (Being equally hard, but the first one to introduce) This thread made me wanna plug in my n64 on my parents tv to play some..
"Just you wait until Bongo-kulele!" ~Grunty

Return to “Past Glories”