A new Grabbed by the Ghoulies?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
GameFreak

A new Grabbed by the Ghoulies?

Postby GameFreak » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:32 am

Grabbed by the Ghoulies is defiantly a Rare Rareware game that not many people know too much about. Mainly though to crappy sales. Makes me sad too because I love that game! I mean ok, its a very simple beat em up but it had the same sense of satisfaction when beating up foes like in Battletoads. Every punch and kick felt really satisfying even though it really didn't take too much effort to execute the move. Anyways, where I'm going with this is, in the future of course, If possibly Playtonic Games can develop a spiritual successor to said game, with obviously, the improvements the game needed. I would love that! Would you agree?

Chrysalis_Blossom

Re: A new Grabbed by the Ghoulies?

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am

In my opinion, GbtG was a really fun game. If I could have ONE Rare IP at E3 this year, it wouldn't be this one, but if a sequel came out I would surely buy it.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm less keen on the idea, I must admit - there's something about the game that I found annoying.
In terms of the look and feel of the game, I mean - in fairness, I wasn't on the gameplay either (the controls did my head in).

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:36 pm

ely

Postby ely » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:44 pm

oh no dont make a sequel to your first mistake

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:53 pm

I've never played it and it doesn't appeal to me. From this years E3 there is only ONE IP I want to be announced and that's Banjo. Its now or never and with all the hype I feel that if RARE doesn't announce it this year then they never will.

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:05 pm

If there is ever some sort of Rare crossover kart racer/fighter/cooking simulator/free-to-play iPhone game/etc, than I think the game deserve representation. Though the only other way I could imagine the series being revived, is if there is a successful series of Rare revival successes.

I for one adore Grabbed by the Ghoulies for what it, though this is probably mainly bias from growing up with it. I can recognize it's flaws, but still quite enjoy replaying it every so often. In my opinion, what it lacks in complex controls, it makes up in all of the weapons and soup cans lying across the environment. You are playing the game wrong if you are only fighting with your fists. Half the challenge is exploring the environment while in combat to find what weapons and soup cans you can use to your advantage mid battle. The other half of the challenge is adjusting the Rules that change from room to room, and dealing with, and possibly taking advantage of, the Grim Reaper if you fail.

The game was actually originally meant to be open world, but was changed due to time constraints. It seems like the sequel hook at the end was setting up a game with this idea in mind. A town would be much easier to make non-linear than an interconnected mansion. Even if it's not a Ghoulies game, I wouldn't mind seeing this idea come to fruition somehow one day.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:14 pm

I'd be interested to find out what the beta of GBTG was like - pre-Microsoft if possible.

Whatever people's opinions on it are and regardless of its woeful sales, it is a quirky idea which could have worked better.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I had my first experience with the game by trying it on Rare Replay earlier today. I like the graphics, music and general aesthetic of the game, but the gameplay itself get repetitive and dull. I'll probably finish it eventually, but in small pieces at a time.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:55 am

Had another blast on it this weekend; much as I desperately tried to get into it, I just couldn't.

The controls are really confusing, the presentation is greatly lacking in charm, the lead character has the personality of a dishrag and the combat is extremely boring.

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:56 pm

That game was awful.

Although it did have my favorite Rare villain in it. :roll:

I mean, he's wearing Banjo-Kazooie pajamas! How awesome is that? :roll:

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:51 pm

I've been playing this on rare replay and I'm actually enjoying it. The gameplay IS simple and repetitive but it's still fun. The game would have benefited from some voice acting rather than text and mumbles. My favorite part is the mass amount of rare cameos and easter eggs. Each room is filled with them i love it. Last night spotted Mrs Bottles Tea Bags and a mumbo head in a trophy case.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Just wondering - up until about 2008, this was Rare's biggest flop (to the extent that they joke about it in the intro to Nuts & Bolts).

Is it still Rare's greatest commerical failure to this day, does anyone know?

Because the only other game which springs to mind as a potentially bigger flop is Kinect Sports Rivals (we all know how that led to a lot of firings as Microsoft downsized Rare afterwards).

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 am

Looks like Rare is finally talking about the game again. It took what, 12 years for the scars to heal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfsjR8CRYM

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm playing it right now.

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:39 pm

I still don't get why so many people antagonize Microsoft so much.
I'll never own a Microsoft console as long as Nintendo keeps making their own, but I always wish Rare games the best over there.
If you look at all the old interviews and reports, Nintendo and Rare weren't getting along, mostly the GoldenEye/Perfect Dark teams, but the relationship itself wasn't doing so well.
Activision would have bought Rare, and apparently offered more than Microsoft, and Rare liked them better, but they backed out.
Had Acitivision bought them, everyone would be happy theoretically, but there'd still be those who'd decide Activision is like terrible because they wouldn't put a certain game on a Nintendo console.
So there was really no way that everyone would be happy.
Last edited by Luma Party on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:27 pm

Regarding the above post, Rare are in the best place right now.

They would be no good at nintendo as their console isn't selling so rare games would get no sales. I would not want them under activision or any similar company they WOULD fu** Rare up and their IPs. The best place for rare would be fully owned by Microsoft or Playstation and be in full control and that's exactly where they are.

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:09 am

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Last edited by NPChilla on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Past Glories”