Hardest Level/Task of platformers you've played?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
John

Hardest Level/Task of platformers you've played?

Postby John » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:58 am

Here's my list of the hardest thing I've had to do in all the games I've played 100%. I know some people may feel like they've had more trouble with other objectives, but these were the most frustrating parts of the games for me.

Banjo-Kazooie - Engine Room Jiggy
Banjo-Tooie - Cheato Page from Cloud Cuckoo Canary Mary
Conker's Bad Fur Day - Countdown
Donkey Kong 64 - Beetle Race in Angry Aztec
Super Mario Galaxy - Luigi's Purple Coins
Super Mario Galaxy - Grandmaster Galaxy The Perfect Run

Bonus: I know Diddy Kong Racing wasn't a platformer, but Greenwood Village Coin Challenge on Adventure 2 was probably one of the most frustrating and rewarding experiences I've ever had in gaming.

What's your list like?
Rarewareusedtobegood

SM64Guy

Re: Hardest Level/Task of platformers you've played?

Postby SM64Guy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:05 am

That lava race in Conker, and parts of the War chapter as well. But especially the lava race.

Blue

Postby Blue » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:09 am

Just recently, I was having trouble with world 2-K in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Pretty sure I lost over 50 lives to that one level. At least the music was nice..
"Hands off my bread."

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:35 am

I like to complete my games, so I often do the hardest parts of them anyway. A few come to mind:
Getting all the trinkets in VVVVVV. Remember that section where you have to fall through several rooms at once to get the trinket? I probably spent an hour on this alone. Maybe even more, I don't remember, it was quite a long time ago.
Reaching and beating Yama in Spelunky. I guess it must have taken about 1000 tries and some 50 hours of playtime. Since I use no guide, I had to find how to reach Yama first, that was hard! The only hardest thing I didn't do in Spelunky is to finish it with 0 gold.
In La-Mulana I think I defeated 4 bosses before giving up. That's a game I won't complete, nothing will make me complete it. It's a level of hardness too high for me.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 am

The hardest boss in a game I've fought was Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat 9 the final boss. That was absolutely insanely hard.

I do however like Rusty Bucket Bay's platforming as it gives me quite a nice challenge.

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 am

I would kill for something like retro-levels from Super Mario Sunshine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t54THYFxEM

Man, that music was awesome...

Chruxl

Postby Chruxl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:54 pm

I like to think I've gotten better over the years, but back in the day, freeing Clanker was a royal pain. And I totally agree with you on the Canary Mary Cheato page. Also, Rainbow Ride in general was tough on Super Mario 64. Let's see... Spelunky murders me too much to pick anything specific from it...
Last edited by Chruxl on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iggy

Postby iggy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Billusio

Postby Billusio » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:58 pm

GREAT question!

Hardest level is (I say "is" as I still haven't completed it) DEFINITELY "Champion's Road", the very last course in Super Mario 3D Land on Wii U.

Hardest task was "Beaver Bother" from Donkey Kong 64. Never come so close to putting a controller through a screen!

Looking back, I'm pretty sure there would have been some raised eyebrows from my parents as they heard me scream "JUST GET IN THE HOLE!!!"...to which they enquire "What's the matter?"...to which I reply "Beaver Bother!".

:shock: :o

Ha ha ha

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:00 pm

My hardest level? Sry Don't have a Level.
Hardest game is Wings ov Vi. It is as brutal as I wanna be the Guy.
Funny at Wings of Vi is, even on easy it is pretty damn hard.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:25 pm

banjo-kazooie-Engine Room Jiggy
banjo-tooie-Cheato Page from Cloud Cuckoo Canary Mary/replay final boss (had less health)
Conker's Bad Fur Day-lava race comes to mind
Donkey Kong 64 - Beetle Race in Angry Aztec
Super Mario Galaxy - nothing beat this game 100% mario & luigi THE DAY IT CAMEOUT! :o
Super Mario Galaxy 2-the very last level & a green star on a rainbow road like level heck i don't even remember if i got that star?! i might have been my girlfriend at the time who did it for me?
diddy kong racing-1st wizpig race! took me years to finally beat it! oh & unlocking T.T. but unlocking him was the best most run ever rush in a video game EVER!
mario 64-that walk kick jump star in the snow level! it was the last star i got
mario sunshine-SAND BIRD!
mario 3D land-100% to easy
mario 3D world-that last world! & with all 5 characters! (not done with this yet)
banjo kazooie nuts & bolts-trying to keep & maintain my world records on the leaderboards! i keeped 1 for about a year but some guy 1-uped me with a cool dragon! (mine was ugly!) i beat his record multipull times! BUT MY XBOX KEEPED FREEZING! & I COULDN'T SAVE MY RECORDS!!! T.T heart broken i gave up but in the end it was fun & i always kno in my heart i won & was just to awesome for my xbox to handle :lol:

Return to “Community Discussion”