The 'What Do You Do' Thread!

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Lupo

The 'What Do You Do' Thread!

Postby Lupo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 am

G'day,

It's yet another community building thread, YAY! The main point of this thread is to find out what everyone does professionaly (or unprofessionally) when they aren't saving your sister, or avenging the death of a googly eyed friend. If you aren't in employment but in education, then tell us what you are studying or have studied (you lucky people with an income can also say what you have studied too). Finally, why don't you share something you recently learnt from work or education.

I myself am currently studying an Access to HE Diploma in Science and hoping to take a BSc in Ecology and Wildlife Conservation at Uni soon. Previously I have studied A Levels for Graphic Design, Media Studies, Film Studies and English Language.

Recently, I learnt that we are currently witnessing a Mass Species extinction. The rate of species going extinct has risen by a lot over the past hundred years. The last mass extinction erased approximately 75% of all species on earth... Scary...

What about you guys?
Leon

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

polomi

Re: The 'What Do You Do' Thread!

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:19 am

I'm doing a PhD. My research topic is quantum plasmonics. In very simple terms, it's about how light interacts with metals at very small scales.
Last edited by polomi on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:20 am

I do nothing. Literally. Looking for a job at the moment. Though I'm going to university in September to study Japanese and Music.
Taylonic Ltd.

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:00 am

I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:07 am

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:20 am

I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 am

Some very interesting things so far, I'm not a big fan of Physics so I was so happy when I found out my course does t include it haha

I'm in the same boat as you Taylor, I am desperate for a job. I must have applied for about fifty over the past few months and am getting rejected constantly... I think my CV is pretty impressive if I am honest but oh well, I should hopefully find one eventually :D

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

diskhat

Postby diskhat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:48 am

Is being a lazy bum a profession? Because if so I'm at the top of my field at the moment.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 pm

I went to a trade school to be a computer technician, which I'm certified in! Yay! But jobs are scarce in my field right now so... whatever.

For money, I work two jobs. Doing what is a mystery.

I'm intending to go back to school for Business and Graphic Design once I earn some financial stability. I have a lot of pretty solid business ideas (shh) that I want to learn how to utilize properly. Then I'm also an artist, who attempted school once before for it. Lame.

But jeeze. Nice degrees, guys.
And I'm sure you guys will find jobs soon! Just keep rolling through 'em.

clanker

Postby clanker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Graphic designer by day, freelance illustrator by night!

Honestly, the old Rare games formed/influenced my visual tastes so much.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm animating a sci-fi feature film and a web series! Not...at the same time - I switch between them.

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:17 pm

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:25 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 pm

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm going to school for medicine! Right now I'm pre-med and it's really fun learning about things and getting to help people. I'm actually going to be starting up the Radiology program this May and it's kind of a scary thought. I just hope I don't suck at it! >.< Otherwise I have an associates in general studies with a science focus.

Unprofessionally! I do let's plays https://www.youtube.com/user/ZainSAful and then I write in hopes to one day be published and a famous writer. Oh! I also help my friend test his games. Have you ever heard of Breakfast at Cemetery or Illuminascii? http://dddwares.itch.io/breakfast-at-cemetery and http://www.illuminascii.com/ I've been pretty much go to tester for these games. Not sole tester but when they were in alpha I was helping as much as I could.

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Rarewareusedtobegood

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm

i also forgot to add this, but if anyone has any questions about programming or the gaming industry or anything related to those, feel free to shoot me a message

Cammiluna

Postby Cammiluna » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:42 pm

I do Graphic and web design and IT for a chain of dental offices by day, and I during my offtime.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:27 pm

I work as a baker, but I recently applied to college for computer programming. We'll see if I get in; I've been out of school for years. I love to bake, but it's backbreaking work professionally and I actually have a bad back now (and I'm only 24).

Actually technically, I don't do anything currently since I was in a car crash a month and a half ago. Nothing too bad, lower speeds and all, but since I work a very physical job, I can't do it right now.

Return to “Community Discussion”