donkeykongcountry.com

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Gaz

donkeykongcountry.com

Postby Gaz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Hello, everyone, some of you might know me from DKC Atlas. I'm really glad that Playtonic has their own forum board and am excited about Project Ukelele. While it's typical one would say that, I'm not sure what else to say about the upcoming title. I just hope it will deliver a slightly different experience from Banjo-Kazooie.

Okay, cutting to the chase: I'm an archivist and an avid Donkey Kong fan. I search all across the web for old Rareware material from the 90s/early-mid 2000s. For a few years I've been searching for the official Donkey Kong Country GBA sites. I'm assuming some of you here have a copy of the three DKC GBA official sites because ex-Rareware staff run the forums. The sites are extremely rare, and I do not want them to be lost in Internet history. Besides, they were more than just flash sites with information—they had fun, cheesy mini-games for web users to play. I remember wanting to have DKC2 GBA at age 7 because I went on the site. Good times... These sites are free of copyright and are therefore legal to share. Also sharing the pre-launch sites will make me happy. :)

A while back I contacted Seth Lincoln (one of the designers of DKC2 GBA/DKC3 GBA's official sites) to see if he had a backup of the site; he said on his portfolio that he would share samples of his work with others. He would have shared them with me but unfortunately stated that he had an external hard drive failure some years back. This is why it's important to archive—so others can enjoy what's been archived for years to come.

Additionally, I'm currently hosting a site collection of Donkey Kong sites here: (mirror: ). I have archived a lot of Donkey Kong material for everyone already. :)

If any of you are wondering which sites I'm talking about, here are the incomplete Wayback Machine mirrors of the three sites:

- Official DKC GBA site
- Official DKC2 GBA site
- Official DKC3 GBA site

I hope I'm not breaking the rules or anything. I pretty sure I'm going to join this place. After all, I'm a huge fan of Rareware's titles before 2008, including their underrated GBA handheld titles. :)

Krockhead

Re: donkeykongcountry.com

Postby Krockhead » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:26 am

Gaz has an incredible collection of Donkey Kong-related site archives, both official and fanmade. If anyone happens to have the sites archived and is wondering whether it's worth the effort to share it, let me assure you that, yes, it's totally worth it. It'd be an absolute shame for his archives to be incomplete.

Gaz

Re: donkeykongcountry.com

Postby Gaz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:42 am

Return to “Community Discussion”