That one game you wish everyone knew about?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Enrel

That one game you wish everyone knew about?

Postby Enrel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Well we've all been there with some of our favorite games. They're just such a delight and have engrossed you for hours on end. Yet nobody knows about them! What kind of crazy world do we live in where we can have these great games that nobody touched. There might be some reasons behind them... Say they were only available and a service that was in the later years of a consoles life, or it was completely overshadowed by a game of a higher pedigree? Either way these game deserve love and this is where we express it!

What I'm hoping is to expand some people's knowledge on some really good but often times looked over games from the past or even present. Share the game of your choice but make sure you put in WHY! I doesn't have to be a long thought out answer but at least something that isn't just listing game names. I wanna know why YOU of all people really enjoy this game and why you think others want to as well.

Alien Soldier- This game was on the Sega Genesis only available on the Sega Channel. So it being overlooked is pretty much expected. Though as a kid I was always looking in stores to see if I could find this bad boy. It's a game from Treasure's hayday. It was hard, fast, and really addicting. Think Gunstar Heroes on crack. You play as an anthropomorphic Eagle battling an evil virus or something? Either way the story didn't really make any sense. What did make sense were the tight controls and heavy focus on countering as well as dodging. There were only a few times in this game where I felt like a death wasn't my fault, and even those times that I felt they were out of my hands it was because of my inaction. It was very much in the area of hard but fair. Dear god do I wish we can get another game like it.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: That one game you wish everyone knew about?

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:09 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Doesn't have to be JUST ONE. It's just I want to start it off small on my end so others might join in.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 pm

There's a lot of older games I wish everyone knew about, but a recent one is by Vlambeer.

It's an extremely fun rogue-lite with a decent difficulty curve. The game is extremely addictive and you just want to beat the game once you start it (and once you 'beat' it, you want to continue and see what can be done).
The game's got a decent amount of characters, each with unique passive and active abilities, so there's most likely at least one that clicks really well with anyone.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 pm

First game that came to mind was Boktai.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 am

Years ago I used to play an MORPG called Engless Online. I wouldn't recommend looking it up now as it's really gone down hill and is filled with hackers and botters with no game masters around to stop them. But at the time, for a while, it was my life. :lol:
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:39 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 pm

The old classic RPG Grandia is one I've not hear many people talk about. Also have to agree with Boktai being shamefully unknown!
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:10 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

iggy

Postby iggy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:22 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Grandia 1 had the better combat system, 2 had a better plot. Unfortunately we never got 3 or Grandia Xtreme... Also, Boktai was fantastic for its time but quite the gimmick, as it required you to play outside in relative sunlight. Very fun little game, but didn't grab the market as well as it deserved.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm glad there's a lot of talk in this thread about people's favorite little known games. Here's another one that I want to bring up. Though with the recent announcement of the remake I'm hoping there's more popularity to it.

This was a Mircrosoft original IP made by Yukio Futatsugi the guy that made Panzer Dragoon 1, 2, and Saga. It's an action arena based card battle game with psychic powers and destructible environments. The story is really great even if it sort of starts off slow.

A short gameplay montage of the original Xbox game.

Leaked Remake Gameplay?

Chruxl

Postby Chruxl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 pm

In an era of cheap mass produced PC games, there were a couple of diamonds in the rough. (Okay, maybe this isn't a diamond, but bear with me, okay?) Picture it, 1998 or so. egames put out discs with many titles in a move not unlike the app stores of today. Solitaire, Galaga knockoffs, etc. But none of them hit the spot in quite the manner of Spooky Castle.
As a kid with a gray monster and dial up, this little gem entertained me for hours. Throwing hammers to kill the undead? Picking up pants as a power up? Grabbing some chinese takeout to heal? This wackiness enchanted me. Sure, it wasn't Banjo-Kazooie or the other greats of its time, but it honestly didn't try to be. It was what it was. A dumb game to break the monotony of the time.
Imagine my nostalgia when I discovered not long ago that the creators put this title up on their website as a free download. Give it a go if you have some time to kill.

Tabula Rasa

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:32 am

I used to play this space simulator type game on the PC years back (and still play it), called Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos. Now it's not the best game in the world but it was just the fact that it was in space with huge spaceships made it all the worth while. And the soundtrack goes perfectly with the game itself.

Return to “Community Discussion”