No Banjo Kazooie 3. Rare is officially dead.

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Genersis

Re: No Banjo Kazooie 3. Rare is officially dead.

Postby Genersis » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:34 am

They've seeming only changed direction just recently away from the Kinnect; I'm going to give them at least a bit of time to prove themselves.

Personally I still thought Rare to be a pretty good developer up until its marriage to the Kinnect, though I understand that's probably not a common view.
As long as that talent is still there in some form, and the new talent genuinely want to follow in the footsteps of their predecessors, I still think they could be quite respectable once again.

I certainly want to see more of Sea of Thieves; what was showed looked very early in development. Not sure if I'll be getting it though, MMO's aren't my thing. I wish Rare the best with it.
Well meaning Wally.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Since Playtonic Games has emerged from the ashes that was Rareware, it doesn't matter anymore whatever Rare Ltd decides to make. If one day they decide to make a Banjo-Threeie/Conker's Other Bad Day, that would be great. If not, no big loss. As we have the company back that cares about making the games we want just like in the SNES/N64 era, and no Microsoft that can almost all of their games because; "It wouldn't sell enough retail copies!"

Oh, by the way. Sea of Thieves is not the first time Rare Ltd tried to make an MMO. In fact, it's their third attempt in making an MMO. Here's the other two: /.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:54 pm

This might just be my interpretation, but I have a feeling that Rare Replay serves to draw under a line under the first 30 years of Rare - as has been noted, they've included some absolute stinkers among those 30 games - including the non-Kinect Xbox flops.

So Sea of Thieves is the yardstick against which we can measure this "new Rare" - if it's good, then there is hope.
If it's bad, then it'll be like Rare has blown its very last chance for me.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:09 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:41 am

Rare Replay is cool and all (yes, I've played it), but it adds literally nothing new to the games.
SOT sounded cool in the beginning, but now that it's announced that it is a MMO without decent singeplayer, it is a 'no go' for me.

Rare REALLY needs to get their poo-poo straight, because they went downhill FAST after 2002 and they are still going down...

Wolfen

Postby Wolfen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am

Looking over this thread, it kinda saddens me how most of the Rare fanbase possess this "if it isn't a new Banjo/Conker/platformer it sucks" mindset. Even after the buyout Rare didn't begin lose their creativity until Kinect Sports but because none of their games (barring maybe N&B but that's another can of worms) were platformers they get a lot of flak for it and people started proclaiming Rare to be dead.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:41 am

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Still have faith in Rare. That said, wasn't big on the N64 games.

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Honestly, this is what I was hoping Rare would do. Not necessarily a Pirate game, but a new IP. Rare has had a lot of people leave over the past few years. They are still a talented studio but I would rather not see them try to tackle Banjo again. Playtonic exists and we're already going to be getting the 3D platformer of our dreams next year :). Im fine with Rare doing new things in the future. Thankfully, Playtonic isn't under Microsoft's watch. They can do whatever they like with Yooka-Laylee, and it doesn't have to be locked to one console. It's really fantastic.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Funny enough, Rare has had at least 2 people leave development of Sea of Thieves so early into the project. To Playtonic lol
Make the forum great again.

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:02 pm

That doesn't really mean anything. They were relatively new employees, and going to Playtonic was likely a promotion for them, because it's such a small studio, and Rare is so large compared to it.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:18 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:09 am

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:04 pm

RIP Rare. You were great while you lasted. All we can do for you now is avenge your demise by KILLING MICROSOFT! WHO'S WITH ME? #AVENGERARE #KILLMICROSOFT Together, we can defeat the tyrannical Microsoft and in the process protect Playtonic from their devious schemes, because we all know Microsoft are going to try and buy them the moment Yooka-Laylee's out the door.

Return to “Community Discussion”