Where is the love?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
dotEXE

Re: Where is the love?

Postby dotEXE » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for being mature about this!
Make the forum great again.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:00 pm

I agree TC. I don't understand all the criticism and negativity from people who clearly have no intention of touching a particular game and have no stake in it one way or the other, so their negativity comes across as spiteful and solely intended to discourage the developers.

I don't think I've ever so much as clicked on a topic about a game I had no interest in. Yet I see so many people on the internet go out of their way just to express negativity.

Luigi_Lucarelli

Postby Luigi_Lucarelli » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:16 pm

It was never my intention to start arguments here, it seems that you all are very passionate about this genre and that's a great thing. I'm glad there are still forum members that can see the value in people trying to revive the 3D platformer. However, it seems some may have missed my point to this thread.

I never asked to support projects you dislike. Based on previous posts in these forums, it was obvious to me that some have made up their minds about how they feel. So it was never my intention to change your minds, simply to request that we as a community consider the teams trying to bring back this genre. Reviving the 3D platformer is the ultimate goal here and should be the main focus. It's not really fair that we don't have a selection of 3D platformers to choose from like other genres of games. I would love to see lots of different 3D platformers with new ideas and mechanics just like the 2D platformer revival.

It's much easier now with things like unity and unreal for smaller teams to finally make these kinds of games. If "AAA" studios aren't making them right now why not at least be happy that some out there are trying their best? You don't need to go and support them with money or praise, but at least understand that these teams have the ambition, motivation and drive to try.

Of course I want to see and play games that are exceptional, but that doesn't mean we have to insult smaller indies that are honestly only referencing games from the past as their inspiration. Working together to make something is great and it's unfortunate that some read into the wording of the taglines and ignore the amount of work and passion that went into these project. It's true that some still don't really get it if you just say "we want to make a 3D platformer", but if you bring up Mario 64 or BK they suddenly understand what you mean because they have an idea of the genre. I would describe Darksiders as a Zelda like game, it's not Zelda but it's inspired by the game mechanics or gameplay. Unless it's stated, you should not assume Darksiders is on par with Zelda, simply that it's Zelda like. The same goes for these 3D platformer projects.

I agree that constructive criticism is very important, I will often ask my peers to share their opinions on my art to improve myself and get a different perspective. In my opinion, insults and being happy that a project does not get made is not constructive criticism. Sharing your opinions with the community or the project creators on how to improve something is much more useful and valuable. Choosing to focus on what you don't like simply because you don't like it, won't help to improve the quality of anything.

Like some of you I am quite busy and would like to spend my time doing the things I enjoy, but I can still understand that there is value in teams coming together to call attention to 3D platformers again. This genre is what ties us together as a community, I see you guys as my brothers/sisters because it's not easy to find others with the same passion for these games. I don't want my words to have any negative effect on anyone here, it negates the point of my thread and I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone here. Hopefully we can see eye to eye :)

TLDR: Sorry if my thread has rubbed anyone the wrong way, my intention was to bring us closer together as a community. I don't want you to support things you don't like, and I would love to see quality games in the future. We should consider the teams trying to create something and support them with constructive criticism while avoiding insults. I really want to see this genre return to it's rightful place and I think many of you feel the same way. Thank you all for the replies, it's great to see fellow members that are passionate about what they love :D

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Luigi_Lucarelli

Postby Luigi_Lucarelli » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for the insightful reply Polomi, it's nice to get your perspective. Just to be clear, I don't think anyone should bottle up their opinions in any way. I just think it's important to focus on what you like, if there is something you dislike it would be nice to learn opinions on how to improve upon those things instead of simply saying you dislike it. That's just my opinion and it's of course not wrong to simply dislike something, everyone is different. I don't support silencing opinions and sorry if there was a misunderstanding there. :)

As for 3D platformers being revived, I can understand where you're coming from, having one good 3D platformer is great but using fighting games as an example; I really like Street Fighter and Smash Bros, these are very different from each other but are still technically fighting games. I'm glad that both exist so I can enjoy them equally.

If there are good 3D platformers in the future I would love to play them! I guess I'm just hoping others are excited to see this genre again and understand how much they can offer. Here's hoping there will be more projects with Rare quality in mind. :)

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:48 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 am

Return to “Community Discussion”