What happened to A Hat in Time?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Luma Party

What happened to A Hat in Time?

Postby Luma Party » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:00 pm

So remember this?
Supposed to have a Q2 2013 release, Kotaku gave a review, green light for Steam.
Grant Kirkhope even co-wrote the soundtrack, and yet no updates since March 2015...

wwwarea

Re: What happened to A Hat in Time?

Postby wwwarea » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 am

A Hat in Time is either my first favorite reviving 3D platformers. Or second.

It's still alive, and may get released in late 2015 or early 2016. If not, I wouldn't be that surprised.
I guess it was delayed due to the extra content they need to add to it thanks to backers (not in a bad way!).
http://hatintime.com/

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:04 am

I'm wondering too, when they'll release it eventually. The most recent news were that they confirmed the development of console ports, but had some issues with doing so and that Grant left the project after doing like, 2 out of 7 songs. He apparently said that he realized that his style wouldn't really fit to this game. But I believe that he's just veeery busy with other projects.

Except from that, they initially says that they do the original 5 chapters / big worlds for launch & bring the remaining three some time after that. So they definitely try to hurry up, I guess.

FelixofMars

Postby FelixofMars » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Yeah I didn't bother with the Kickstarter and I don't often bother with them especially for games (as they seem one of the more unreliable Kickstarter projects) I have kickstarted a number of books, music albums, a hobbyist games dev engine and some games. Of the handful of these most of them have been delay, not what was promised or just never amounted to much. One of the reasons for actually funding Yooka-Laylee was that Playtonic had a convincing pitch and to a degree a known quantity with the team.

If Hat in Time comes out and sounds like its worth my time I would be happy to pay for it then.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Anna

Postby Anna » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I keep forgetting this game is a thing. I remember hearing about it way back when, then hearing about (and promptly forgetting about before backing :( ) the Kickstarter, then forgetting about it again until seeing this thread.

One of these days I'll pick it up. Wish there was a way to get just game, beta, and soundtrack, instead of 2 copies of game and beta, because I don't know anyone I could share with. Anyone here know if the soundtrack is good enough to want, or would I be okay with just getting the game and beta addon?
No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 am

duckling

Postby duckling » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Just a quick FYI - Check out the Twitter @HatInTime - They update that almost frequently in ways that wouldn't make sense as Kickstarter updates.

I only guess that it's taken this long for the game to arrive because UnrealScript is dead. Jonas Kaelerv is only one programming the game and they were unable to find any secondary programmers.

I'd suspect the game is dangerously close. Recently, Jonas took to Twitter and posted the total number of lines of code in the game (160k something), in the context of it's finished. Additionally, on separate occasions he's stated that both the game's content is complete and that they have a 3rd Party studio testing the game on various hardware/OS's.

Maybe it'll be here by the end of the year? Who knows. Keep a tab on their Twitter to check progress.

---

Also, just to clear a rumor, Grant didn't 'leave'/'disagree' with styles or anything. After any Kickstarter, 'X' amount of payments fail/invalidate, so in total they only raised enough for two Kirkhope themes.

---

Also, about the 2013 release:

They weren't expecting to raise anywhere near as much as they did, so with increased funds came increased scope. Unfortunately, that takes extra time BUT I'd much rather have a larger game than a sooner one. :)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:17 am

This thread made me go back and get re educated.

The game really looks great and seems to play great as well. The environments are huge and boss battles are more 2d than not but, they are done in neat ways.
I am once again looking forward to it.

Return to “Community Discussion”