Playtonic Should Do This...

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
John Enigma

Playtonic Should Do This...

Postby John Enigma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Just recently ()

I saw this and I thought "Wouldn't it be a good idea for Playtonic Games to sign up to this website just to develop the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee?".

Also, I know Yooka-Laylee is been developed for the Wii U, but I would also love to see if the game ever comes to the NX.

Just thinking here.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

duckling

Re: Playtonic Should Do This...

Postby duckling » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 pm

I'd say it's safe to think that they either have their WiiU development tools already or are already in the process of doing so (Even before their new site went live, it wasn't too hard for anyone with a game to get the dev kit)

As for NX, possible - They'd have to either port Mono to the system or have IL2CPP build on the system. It would be easier to wait for Unity to officially implement support themselves. I'm not sure if these SDKs are being given out to just anyone either - I'd guess 'studios' like Epic and Unity have got them already to get that abformentioned support going.

More likely we won't see the game on the NX initially, but perhaps a port at some point in time!

FelixofMars

Postby FelixofMars » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:00 pm

The Wii U isn't doing so great for 3rd partys though. We have one in the office gathering dust in case anyone wants to develop games for it and we need to support it its the same for Vita.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:59 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 am

From the looks of this portal, it's to develop for Nintendo platforms as a whole, rather than just Wii U or 3DS (or NX).

It looks very indie-friendly, probably worthwhile to developers starting out. Nintendo would likely give those on the portal first dibs to upcoming systems and updates as well.

DixieKongJD

Postby DixieKongJD » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Nintendo are pretty good with devkits from what I've heard, though.

PC is definitely the best start for an indie development, and besides it would be great to see a company finally beat the typical thought that Nintendo consoles exist only for their own games to be played on by some people.

A company which can bother to take advantage of every system is one that works perfectly; one that just copies and pastes the PS4/XB1 versions and leaves the Wii U out isn't. :)

Playtonic (2015-today) vs Rare Ltd. (pre-2002). Who'd win in years to come?

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Do you want to know what else they should do? Become a first party developer for Nintendo.

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Return to “Community Discussion”