Your Year In Gaming

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Xenoka

Your Year In Gaming

Postby Xenoka » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:57 pm

So it's been a while since Yooka-Laylee got backed and we seem to have exhausted ourselves talking about it. However, we're all gamers here and there's been a lot of stuff coming out this year. My question is: how was your year so far? What games surprised you? What games let you down? Etc. I'm about to ramble on about my life story this year cause I'm at work and what else are you gonna do when bored? Anyhoo:

My year started out with me buying parts for my PC (aka buying a whole new pc pretty much) and with my GTX 970 I got The Witcher 3 free with it. It was my first big game of the year. Long story short (opposite of this game) this game was pretty meh to me. I got hyped up on trailers but holy crap do people tell you their life story EVERY TIME YOU TALK TO SOMEONE. Seriously, the reason I stopped was there came a point where all I was doing was talking to people for over an hour. I thought this was an action/RPG, not a visual novel. The fighting was ok but got old. It was fun for a few hours but it was free so hey whatevs.

Next came MGS5 Oh man. I couldn't wait for this one. Best game ever for sure. Except it wasn't. Bogged with design problems, it got tedious and the world was lifeless. Funny enough MGS is one of the few gaming series that had my interest in the stories and I didn't mind having a few cutscenes cause the games were so fun. But there is barely any story here! After 2 missions that were poorly designed I dropped this as well.

Funny enough the first game I really got into this year was a free game. My online friend exclaimed one day "Hey the World of Warships beta is out wanna play?" I said why not and we still play it to this day. I love multiplayer games and having a game you can sit down for 15 minutes and feel like you accomplished something works really well for me seeing as I have both school and work at the moment. It also helped that my friend (and me to a lesser extent) was into Kancolle at the time so it was fun seeing what ships were like compared to their anamorphic versions. Plus the game took skill which is something I really enjoy for multiplayer.

A little back story for the next one to put it in perspective. Late last year I became enthralled after watching The Smash Brothers documentary and soon was watching competitive Smash Bros. Melee. I was addicted. Then smash 4 came out and I was extremely hyped, except, it didn't quite do it for me. It was fun yes but options were limited and combos were all but non-existant. So I continued watching melee. Then I heard, don't remember how, of an indie game called Rivals of Aether. It was made to take the formula and deepness of melee while cutting out some fat (l cancelling anyone?) And make a competitive game. I was stoked. I got my online friend to buy it with me and we were hooked. It's just such a fun game. Fast and combo heavy yet easy to pick up. Plus it had online. If you haven't played this game I suggest you look it up and think about supporting the developers. They are great and listen to all the input people give them especially on their sub-reddit!

Mario Maker. When I first saw this I laughed. But then I saw more and more and more. I saw crazy stuff being made. I was astounded at the creativity! When it was about a week from being released I pre ordered it as I knew there were going to be little to no copies when released. And man is this game fun! Millions of Mario levels to play and I can play them in my favorite design (super Mario world). I hate the new 3d design of the 2d games. But even with those levels it's still a blast and actually challenging! I like when a game isn't too easy.

Then finally the other big one. Fallout 4. Not gonna say much because I'm still really into this one but I'm loving it so far besides the whole speech options deal.

Last but not least: after watching beta 64s video on Star Fox 2 I found out there's a final beta build of it. I have downloaded the rom but have yet to play it but I'm excited!

Well that was long, and took longer with sudden explosion of customers. My year went up and down as far as games were concerned with multiple games falling on their faces and others standing high. I didn't post all the small games I got just the important ones. Well what were your gaming experiences this year?

DWard14

Re: Your Year In Gaming

Postby DWard14 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Great post.

Its been a very slow year for me. I geeked out on Minecraft quite a bit at the beginning of the year, building a Perfect Dark themed city. It boasts every multi player level that I could possibly create and stay true mathematically to.
I also created the Urban level from PDZ, that one was fun and very challenging to accomplish. Then I built the second single player mmap ffrom PDZ. This one was very challenging because in order to make it look right I had to build all of the background buildings as well. These buildings served no real purpose other than skybox but it led me to the idea to link everything together into a city, and occupy some of the empty buildings with a Perfect Dark theme.

Nowadays, I finally sprung for an Xbox One with Fallout 4 and have just hit level 34.
So far the game is incredible however, many of the Minutemen quests keep repeating.

Rare replay is on the immediate horizon for what's next.

Oh. I also took a bunch time getting my rank back up in Perfect Dark. I was #34 in Agent times then slipped to 104 after Replay came out, now I'm at 71 and uninspired to do better.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Since backing Yooka Laylee in the spring i went on to play Banjo-Kazooie and then Banjo-Tooie.
Summer was about Yoshis Wooly World, can't remember if i played anything before or after this.
The last two months have been ALL about RARE Replay and what a fanstastic couple of months they have been. Loved every minute of it.
Right now i am playing Tomb Raider for xbox one and I'm planning to get the Rise of the Tomb Raider next.

It's been a good year for gaming but it aint half gone fast. Yoola Laylee will be here before we know it.

Great thread by the way MORE LIKE THIS GUYS.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:23 am

I got Majora's Mask 3D, Monster hunter 4 Ultimate (awesome game), some games from the club Nintendo closure (so sad), supported Yooka-Laylee, bought all the smash amiibo so far (crazy I know)

And last but not least bought Splatoon and this is the game thata de me realize Nintendo still borrows some design choices from the Rare golden era!

-the inklings got googly eyes.
-gibberish talking.
-interesting and Unique NPCs
-colorful art style
-arcade machine
-clothing for the animalistic characters

I know maybe they didn't actually did all thinking about BK or DK in mind but surely they still got some Rare influences flowing on them!

And that's what I take with me this year knowing Nintendo still can give some love to that kind of art style and make a hell of a good game from it, wich of course makes me happy!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:40 pm

This year was so good and so long that I found myself saying "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH! THAT came out this year!" a lot while thinking about how to answer this. The theme of the year is "I like it, didn't finish it."

I think Fallout 4 (PC) is my GOTY. I've been playing it nonstop the last several days and while it definitely has flaws, in the end I just don't care about them. Even with flaws (non-believable world that somehow nobody has fixed or cleaned or swept anything in 200 years, repetitive 'go here, kill everything, come back' quests, etc) the core gameplay is just so good that I want to keep playing. Maybe I'm just addicted to leveling up and picking perks. The combat is really improved as well. My biggest complaint is that I feel like the game wants you to pick combat ALL the time. My first character was 7 CHR 8 INT and I was hoping to talk or hack my way out of everything and in the end there was very little option besides "okay, go kill, got it". But again, the core gameplay was so good I still just loved the heck out of the game.

Bloodborne would have been my GOTY otherwise. I was completely sucked in by this game for weeks. The chalice dungeons were a bit shallow, but everything else was fantastic. The world was beautiful and cohesive, the lore was deep and rewarded exploration and required some individual work invested to really fully flesh out, the combat was FANTASTIC (I much prefer it to Dark Souls), and the Lovecraftian theme just sealed it for me.

I also enjoyed The Witcher 3 in a general sense but it couldn't hold my interest for whatever reason. The combat was sort of clunky and unintuitive, the quests were sort of bland. The world was built well, and I loved the books, but the game couldn't hold me. Maybe I'll go back to it and give it another shot now that I've finished Fallout?

Splatoon was a very pleasant surprise. The multiplayer was the first time I've had fun and gotten hooked on a multiplayer experience in a long time. Even my wife liked it. I particularly like how quickly it all moves. Lobby for like a minute which even has a mini-game to distract you, game on for a couple minutes, results, and on to the next game. It's deep enough for extended enjoyment, but set up in a way you can pick it up and have a lot of fun in a 15 minute window. The Splatfests are a great touch too.

I really wanted to love Yoshi's Woolly World, but I got to World 3 and couldn't really be bothered to finish it. Maybe I'll slag through the last 40% over Thanksgiving. The levels are very cute, the character design is very cute, but really most of the levels are very same-y with a few notable exceptions, and overall the difficulty and variety in the game is far below the obvious comparison of Yoshi's Island.

I also switched camps this year from 110% hating on Xbox One to owning one. Now I only 85% hate Xbox One. I haven't played any games on it that I consider must-haves yet.

Rare Replay was a great value collection, even if all the oldoldold games are frankly pretty bad (like Gunfright or Slalom). It was my first time playing Conker and while I haven't finished it yet, I enjoy it. I even went back to play Nuts & Bolts with a more open mind. I still feel the same about it. The car building is really, really neat. The world is neat but basically void of life. The game should not have Banjo or Kazooie in it. I don't feel it's worth finishing.

I got the Halo MCC once it was fixed, but don't enjoy it like I did when I was 18. Plus everyone online has clearly done nothing but play Halo online for the last 11 years. I die as soon as I spawn :lol:

Really, the XBO sure makes a great Netflix box and that's still mostly it. Saying "Xbox On, Xbox go to Netflix, Xbox Play" as I enter my house has saved me literal minutes of time and effort.

I'm looking forward to ReCore, Scalebound, and a few others on Xbox One next year. For PS4 I'm looking forward to the Bloodborne DLC, FF15, KH3, Uncharted 4, Farcry 4 Primal, Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, the new Hitman, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, No Man's Sky, Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, Horizon, and Yooka Laylee. For WiiU I'm excited about Xenoblade, Zelda U, and the NX to hopefully not suck. And for PC I'm looking forward to the new DOOM, XCOM 2, Deux Ex: Mankind Divided, and Yooka Laylee as well.
Make the forum great again.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Such extensive posts; if I wasn't in lecture I might read them.

But my GOTY was definitely Splatoon by far. Far better than any other franchise in existence's most recent installment. Mario Maker comes close though, yet it all falls on Splatoon. I loved the idea of shooters, but they all became the same, and they didn't have much strategy besides "Make sure you don't die, try to kill the enemy." Splatoon clearly allows for strategy, which I love.

And the best thing? You can actually see the world. Which makes me excited for Yooka-Laylee, as there's color.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Wizard Dojo

Postby Wizard Dojo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:11 am

My gaming year has been very active, namely because of Wii U and retro games. I plan on getting a PS4 soon. I would love to get an Xbox one as well down the road, but Rare Replay and Halo are honestly the only games that interest me.

Anyway, some of the new games I've played this year include Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Majora's Mask 3D, Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and I've pre-ordered Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Xenoblade Chronicles X, so I'll probably be playing them soon. And once I get my PS4 (probably at the end of the month after I've bought Christmas gifts), I plan on getting Bloodborne, MGSV and Fallout 4.

Of the ones I've played, Super Mario Maker is hands down my GotY. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I put over 100 hours into it within the first month of release. And it's infinite Mario levels, so it's kind of an easy win. Splatoon and Woolly World were also excellent though.

I also went back to some 2014 games, like Smash Bros. Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (my 2014 GotY). I also played Shovel Knight for the first time and played a lot of Castlevania games (the NES trilogy, Super IV, Dracula X, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and currently playing Dawn of Sorrow). I've also been playing a ton of games on SNES and N64 recently, as well as other retro titles on the Virtual Console (including DK64, though I was bummed to see how poorly it's aged). Honestly, I've played almost 100 games this year, it would take a while to name all of them.

2015 has been a pretty eventful year for me where gaming is concerned. I of course backed Yooka-Laylee with probably more money than I could really afford to part with, and even backed Red Ash... But let's not talk about that. I probably didn't play as many new games this year as 2013 or 2014, but I probably played more games overall (and I might catch up when I get my PS4). I've certainly played more than I did in 2012 though. That year was a total dud for me.
http://wizarddojo.com/

That's me website! Shameless self-promotion for the win!

Return to “Community Discussion”