List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
bjaxx87

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby bjaxx87 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks again for all your support, my next update is in the works and it's gonna be a big one. ;) I already found that Wikipedia list last week and checked most of those games. Many will be added but some are just too far away from games like Banjo and Mario 64 (e.g. Mirror's Edge, the Jumping Flash! series or Maximo).

Yes, if a mod would agree to sticky this thread, I won't refuse! ;)

Barryisamuslim

Postby Barryisamuslim » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Smash bros fits this category. It isn't a fighting game, just a platformer, don't know why people think it's a fighting game. Even back in 2003 on Shoryuken it was absolute conclusion by majority of members even moderators of smashboards and people who played that game that it wasn't a fighting game because by that logic power stone is, so yeah smash bros is fun as a 3d jump n run, which it rightfully is.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:06 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 am

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:35 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you so much for this. I'm so happy that this list got made. :mrgreen:

Now it almost feels complete. I don't know if you're updating the new list, but you forgot to add Spongebob Squarepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, some classic 3D platformer Nickelodeon games, all of the Nickelodeon mashup games, some Cartoon Network games (like Ed, Edd, & Eddy: The Mis-EDventures), and Disney's Treasure Planet (I have one for the PSX, but I don't know if it works). Wow! Damn, this list keeps growing.

Maybe I'm just asking to much, but I feel like this huge list deserves to be in some kind of blog, where it lists all of the 3D platformer games in alphabetical order. I might help you create that blog.
Last edited by John Enigma on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I want to play mystical ninja amd glover.

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:01 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Oi allo there! My first post!
My all time favourite games include Zelda: OOT, Ratchet and Clank series, Uncharted series and of course Banjo Kazooie/Tooie (and most other Rare games). To the topic at hand, I thought I'd register so I can help out a bit? I'm new here so lemme know if I mess up or anything. ;)
I've been hunting for some more obscure 3D platformers since Yooka Laylee's announcement, and I've found two more to confirm to the list, Duck Dodgers and Scaler.

DAFFY DUCK STARRING AS DUCK DODGERS
(N64)
(Gameplay starts at 2:31)
Platforming: Yes
Open 3D worlds: Yes
exploration-driven gameplay: Yes
progress through collectibles: Yes
learnable moves: No
hub world/huge coherent world: Yes

If you want more in-depth opinion, I used to rent it from the video shop about 10 years ago but didn't play it very much. I managed to track it down on eBay a week ago, and I just finished it for the first time. Pretty underrated, it holds up well for the average Platforming fan. I loved it!
It's definitely inspired by Banjo Kazooie. There are 5 levels, each with their own hub to run around and explore in. Searching around for Atoms (the Stars/Jiggies of this game) opens up more sections of the level to find even more Atoms. Beating the level boss unlocks the next level.
Controls are a bit loose, so it may take some time to adjust, but after some experience I found the platforming very satisfying.
The game is full of personality, from its cutscenes to Daffy's expressive animations and dialogue (performed by the late-great Joe Alaskey). Daffy even complains when you put the camera up close to his face. It's clear a lot of heart was put into the game's development.
There are no learnable moves, but there are plenty of powerups, minigames and puzzles for variety.
Duck Dodgers lasted me about 6-8 hours going for 100%. It barely innovates; it doesn't add anything new or noteworthy to the genre, but it's still fun. Not one of the best, but I really enjoyed my time with it. For a game based on licensed property, it really suprised and impressed me. Definitely hunt it down if you looking for a Yooka-Laylee substitute for the time being.

SCALER
(Gameplay starts at 3:47)
(GCN/PS2/XBOX)
Platforming: Yes
Open 3D worlds: Yes
exploration-driven gameplay: Yes
progress through collectibles: Yes
learnable moves: Yes
hub world/huge coherent world: No

I bought this game for the PS2 from eBay for 10 bucks. Funnily enough, like Yooka-Laylee, this game also stars a chameleon! Well, a boy who was transformed into a chameleon anyway.
You select a level via world map, and run around jumping from thing to thing, beating lots of baddies, and collect giant lizard eggs to unlock more levels.
Scaler can punch, climb special walls, grind on rails and smack up things with his long tongue, and can also learn new abilities and upgrade some of them. He can also transform into 5 different creatures to pull off vastly different abilities, so Scaler's arsenal of moves is incredibly varied.
There's lots of fighting in this one. Punching the living daylights out of the common bad guy is satisfying, but the combat can get frustrating with the more powerful enemies.
In my opinion, the game is alright. Not great, but not bad. You can have lots of fun with it, but my main problem is the level design barely changes anything up. While all the levels may look different, they all carry the same formula, so there isn't much variety in terms of atmosphere and level design, so it can feel repetitive as a result. LOVED the game's soundtrack though.
I liked Duck Dodgers more, but Scaler gives you good enough value for its budget price (on the PS2 anyway). Quite a long game too. Will last you 2 weeks or more. It's a decent game, so give it a try.

Did I do good? :D

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 am

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:32 pm

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:07 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Pearcinator

Postby Pearcinator » Sun May 29, 2016 2:04 am

This game fits all the criteria. It's also pretty good too! I remember loving this game!

Karate Joe

Postby Karate Joe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 am

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: BATTLE FOR BIKINI BOTTOM
Developer: Heavy Iron Studios
Publisher: THQ
Console platform(s): GCN, XBOX, PS2
Release date(s): October 31, 2003 (NA), November 28, 2003 (EU)
Platforming: For sure, it's a pure platformer
Open 3D worlds: Yes, the levels are more linear in structure than Banjo games but you can get around them quite easily. Every level is a donut with branches more or less, with a few exceptions like the Mermalair.
Exploration-driven gameplay: Yes.
Progress through collectibles: Yes, shiny things are needed to open gates and spatulas are needed to unlock levels.
Learnable moves: Yes, after each major boss.
Hub world/huge coherent world: Yes, which expands over time.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Is there a (good) 3D-platformer (collectathon) available for the N3DS?
Ik really want to play a nice platformer on the 3DS...

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 pm

I wonder...

Whatever happened to this list?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Return to “Community Discussion”