Who's played Shovel Knight?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?

Have you played Shovel Knight?

Yes (no opinion)
11%
Yes, and I liked it
42%
Yes, and I didn't like it
5%
No (no opinion)
11%
No, but I'd like to
16%
No, and I'd rather not
16%

Total votes: 19

ZeroJanitor

Who's played Shovel Knight?

Postby ZeroJanitor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:42 am

(nvm i'm dumb)
Last edited by ZeroJanitor on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yavga

Re: Who's played Shovel Knight?

Postby Yavga » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:18 am

I played it a wee bit and died at the same spot a few times I believe. Got frustrated and never played it again. Didn't really enjoy it because the game felt sluggish imo.

Should I give it another chance?
Stop picking your nose

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:01 am

Unfortunately, the option I'd otherwise pick isn't up here, so for now I'll just pick I played it and I liked it... When in reality I played it and LOVED IT! Yacht Club Games, they know how to make a game, and they know the ins and outs of what makes a good, memorable experience, right down to the little details! It's especially impressive that they made the Plague Knight campaign feel like a completely different game, even though you're basically playing the same levels, just as a different character. But even the main Shovel Knight campaign is fun and enjoyable, with plenty of secrets to uncover, fun and interesting characters to me, and a lot of action pack into each level and boss battle!

...So in that respect, I'd say Shovel Knight has earned the notoriety and fame he's gotten since his game came out last year. And Yacht Club Games is STILL hard at work delivering a King Knight and a Spector Knight campaign, as well as a gender-swap mode and a battle mode, all promised in the initial Kickstarter. It's all great stuff, and with the promise of more games going forward, I'd say Yacht Club Games is a game developer to look out for!
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Zita

Postby Zita » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:26 am

I doubt the fact that everyone disapproves of Shovel Knights inclusion has anything to do with the quality of his own game. Shovel Knight is a great game actually, I haven't played it myself but I watched a lot of other people play it and I love almost every bit of it! I also like Shovel Knight as a character.
But I still don't agree that he should be included in Yooka-Laylee at all because it just destroys the immerson. It has been throughly discussed why people dislike his inclusion, for me it's just that simple. It could've been any other Indie character, really. Shovel Knight was probably one of the better choices they could've gone with so I'm only a little salty at best. Still thinking they should stay with their own character creations, though, for their first game at least.

| | |

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Shovel Knight is great, but I haven't finished it. I might one day, but it's not my type of style game really. I was born in the early 90s, not 80s. If I were to fully enjoy a retro game, it would require 16-bit graphics!

I prefer Freedom Planet instead. I even played it with a SNES-styled Classic Controller. Pure nostalgia for the 90s man.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 am

My problem is that Shovel Knight has become somewhat of a whore in the Indie community. Like 15 or so games with a cameo...give it a break already. Dudes been used more than Courtney Love.

Shovel Knight is NOT an iconic character no matter how you slice it. Not a Mario, Banjo or Kazooie, Not a Crash, or even Gex or Spyro. He is more of a Glover type. Why would I like his inclusion in a game backed by fans to be basically Banjo-Threeie?

Playtonic are rockstars in the industry. They are not an indie team. They are the Gods of this genre. They invented this shiz.
No need to pollute an excellent game with honestly sub-par talent.

Shovel Knight is just a decent 2d side scroller. Nothing extremely special at all.

My caveat is this. Apart from this board. The people are going crazy and, loving his inclusion. Everywhere you look, people just love it.
After my initial gut twist...I get it.
Many many people never heard of Yooka-Laylee until the Shoved Knight announcement. Publicity is a great thing for a new company.

Also. Playtonic needs to gain a fiscal advantage to make more games after this one. They (as much as I hate to say it.)are just making solid business decisions.

We all want another game from them in the future right?

That Kickstarter money dries up awfully fast when you try to be great.

I HATE it but, I get it.
Last edited by Shawnsim on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:48 am

fixed my post from a horrible, terrible, reprehensible, child scaring, ugly, girl screaming, baby crying, cancer causing, mama worrying, Daddy spanking, word ;) to an obvious stand in that means the same thing.

Pretty sure I have seen cussing here recently.

Actually, I know I have. #lift the moderation. Or maybe just be consistent.

Oh. On topic. I did play it. Nothing really special at all. ITS A 2D SIDE SCROLLER.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:01 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I played through it. It's okay, like a 6 or 7 out of 10. I don't think it was amazing, I don't think it pushed any boundaries or tried anything new, and I really don't see why it warrants 17 cameos. To me it's like if they started serving McDonald's cheeseburgers in every restaurant. They make okay burgers but there's no reason to start putting them everywhere.
Make the forum great again.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:08 am

I gotta say, I'm disappointed by how many people weren't impressed with Shovel Knight. I mean, opinions are just that, opinions, but still, I can't help but feel like the majority of people here don't give Yacht Club Games enough credit. I guess they don't see the passion and drive I feel when I play Shovel Knight, or more specifically, the Plague of Shadows campaign AND the Japanese version of Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight itself had a lot of awesome details and minor things that made it feel like a lived-in world with unique characters and fun game mechanics, but it's the effort they put into two things they honestly didn't have to put as much effort as they did that really sets them above and beyond your typical game developer. Plague of Shadows is where you play as the boss character Plague Knight in his own story. Now, playing as another character in basically the same game is nothing new, but despite going through mostly the same levels, playing as Plague Knight is COMPLETELY different from playing as Shovel Knight, not just in how they attack, but in how they maneuver and even movement speeds; Plague Knight's abilities allow you to access and obtain things you otherwise wouldn't in Shovel Knight's mode, and not only does Plague Knight have a different supporting cast, but his own fleshed-out story! I swear, most game devs would just alter the sprite, give the character a different arsenal, a few altered lines of dialogue and call it a day.

By the same token, you'd think the Japanese version would just be the same game but with Japanese text; not this game! For Shovel Knight, Yacht Club Games did something they called "reverse-localization". You know how in old NES games, when games came to the US from Japan, they'd have stuff censored out, like crosses or more "suggestive imagery"? Well, for Shovel Knight's Japanese release, Yacht Club Games did all they could to make Japanese Shovel Knight look as much like a classic Famicom game as possible, from color-changes to different kinds of coins and food, to different statues, to more anime-esque character portraits... Read all about it here:

http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/07/japan-localization/

And if you think I'm just gushing about this game for it's bonus content, think again, because even the core game itself has a ton of appeal. Aside from the aforemented characters and gameplay, something that really sticks out is how much this game wants to feel like a classic NES game. All too often, games that use the 8-bit aesthetic are mostly just using it as just a way of keeping development cheap, but Yacht Club Games tried to replicate the feel of a classic NES game, all while doing stuff that would be technically impossible for an NES to handle. Again, read here to find out more:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAn ... Knight.php

I mean, geez, there's just so much awesome stuff to talk about when it comes to Shovel Knight and I feel a lot of it goes underappreciated... In fact, going back and playing through Shovel Knight again, while trying to beat the Plague of Shadows campaign for the first time recently, it made me realize just how awesome this game is... In fact, dare I say, it's a lot better now than when I originally played it, because of how much the game and it's world has grown on me!

So with that in mind, I DEFINITELY think Shovel Knight has earned his place in the Indie community, as well as the plethora of cameos he's gotten. In fact, I might just start telling people to go and play Shovel Knight along with Undertale as games you just have to play, they're really that good! ...In my opinion, anyway.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:11 am

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:40 am

My initial enjoyment was a strong 8.5/10
Over time its attention to details (like those in the posts above) and personality/charm have made it a perennial favorite.

Stellar post-release content, too. Plague of Shadows felt unique and it was so cool to experience a version game world finely tuned to PK's drastically different mechanics.

Ultimately SK feels "crafted" the design has charisma -- Rare-esque --the sort of things that keeps me playing games!!

Return to “Community Discussion”