Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Yavga

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:46 pm

I can kind of agree on the sentiment of that post that was over at the Kickstarter. But I don't really feel betrayed by any company at all, I was never a blockbuster gamer anyway. I notice I keep returning to Nintendo games, sandbox games and platformers mostly. I'm happy that most of you can still put your dissapointments aside though and enjoy the game regardless even if you are slightly dissapointed.

Platformers were declining but I'm so happy one is returning at last. I will look at the love that was put in this game in every detail whether it is Grant & Co's awesome score or the colorful cast of characters and environments. Not to mention the secrets, tongue-in-cheek jokes, gibberish! I mean BoTW was awesome but I think I will enjoy this game even more. These developers have an awesome way of creating the perfect game experience for me that has even more magic than AAA Nintendo games at times.

It's saddening to see that these experiences would have to be tainted for some because of some minor miscommunication over a maybe somewhat clumsy business decision or whatever it was... whatever it was it was their decision.
And it is being made overcomplicated. It is being used as ammunition for some of these resentful people that go way beyond voicing their opinion or showing their dissapointment.

How can anyone justify boycotting a game over this in the name of good willed people? cupcake that guy that was here earlier preaching his poo-poo, I'm talking to you Opinionwhatever. Please stay the cupcake away, far far away. Good riddance.

Playtonic, they are not in any kind of way deserving of the backlash they get over this. That is something which truly hurts me. And I can imagine it is not really something Playtonic was anticipating for neither :/

Playtonic, I will play your game and be sure to let you know how much I enjoyed it without letting any of this stand in its way.

That doesn't mean I won't understand the valid criticism that was voiced here. Playtonic, I hope you will follow up in whatever way. Just a "sorry people misunderstood us" suffices for me.

But please keep the good people without any ill intent in mind that are concerned over this. I have faith in you and your future titles.

Good luck :)
Stop picking your nose

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurpleFyrus

Postby PurpleFyrus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Wowzers, the amount of people who haven't done their research is mind boggling. It's like they think JonTron is some kind of Racist! Lol

I bet none of them actually listened to either of Sargon's guest stream (/w JonTron) or the vs Destiny debate, and just read some article at a slanderous news site like Neogaf, Kotaku or Forbes.

Wake up Sheeple!

The people who are outraged are upset because of the injustice being inflicted upon JonTron for backlash he's receiving due to a heinous Slander campaign. Sure JonTron said some things that may have seemed controversial, BUT! they were all based on data and studies! If those studies were wrong then the fault lies with the researchers, not JonTron. Yet plenty of articles write what they want because they just want to get hits, they don't care about the truth.

For those who don't get why it's such a big deal, for me anyways, I loved the original Banjo Games. I then came to love JonTron due to the shared Love for these games we have. Many other audience members STRONGLY FEEL like JonTron being in this game is that extra special touch to send it home because of the strong connection with JonTron and Banjo. If you don't get it, you probably never will, and thats ok, you don't need to understand other people's love for a game and association with JonTron. But when you try to write it off as:

"Whats the big deal, it's just 1 voice line"

You my friend, do not understand how associated nostalgia and community love works.

This dropping of JonTron leaves a sour taste in my mouth, because POLITICS and SLANDER campaigns have come into my one true safe place (lol), where I retreat to, in order to escape the everyday Politics of life, and they screw it up.

This is not what I wanted when I backed this game. If playtonics is going to discriminate against people because of what somebody else said about JonTron, (but isn't willing to do the research themselves) then I am not willing to support a company that is that LAZY.

Hopefully they retract their statement and we can just be done with this, I am hoping.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Well, when talking about "middle ground" it would of course be crazy to find a middle ground in the way of literally taking the mean of the opinion "blacks are genetically predetermined to become criminals" and "for all relevant (intellectual and behavioural) accounts, there exists no indication of a significant genetical difference between what some people call human races" doesn't make any sense and could only end up in racist viewpoints being said middle ground. What I feel people should clamor for is actual conversation instead of warlines. It is important to identify the reasons people cling to such ludicrous ideas and to fight the reasons for racist ideas being adopted. It is no use to vilify people over this, because this just leads to situations like the one at hand, which benefits no one (except maybe people who want to harm 3D platformers). Instead one must find the right talking points, the relevant topics to make people reconsider their stance. Of course, not all right extremists can be convinced, but it is totally worth it to try to convince those that are not rooted in such thought, but that have just adopted it uncritically. Racist ideas should be combatted, no question here, but it stands to question if aggression and twitter-stalking, as well as making up allegations (as in Mark's case) is helping anyone.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 21 times in total.

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Stop picking your nose

PurpleFyrus

Postby PurpleFyrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 am

While you may argue that it isn't Playtonic's fault, but rather those who pressured them into dropping JonTron, they did still perform the act of dropping Jon.

I'm not saying we need to witch hunt for those people in order to shift the blame, but the fact that Playtonics "listened" to who told them the info, and "caved" makes them part of the problem.

I still honestly don't have any hate towards Playtonics, but I sure as hell don't want to play the game anymore due to the sour taste that this whole debacle has left in my mouth. Not saying everyone else has to, but I ain't buying the game, I play games to get AWAY from politics, and this game in a sense has been tainted from my perspective.

But hey, that's just my perspective, me voicing my opinion. I ain't hurting anyone, so I sure as hell ain't gonna apologize for taking a stance.

(also, if you could provide those 16 sources I'd be delighted to read into them, but if you don't I understand you don't want to put forth any effort to back up your claims)

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 am

Last edited by Yavga on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Stop picking your nose

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:19 am

This topic has totally derailed from anything to do about Yooka-Laylee, or even JonTron. Not to mention that JonTron no longer has anything to do with the final game regardless. For these reasons, I am moving this thread to the Community Discussion subforum.
Taylonic Ltd.

PurpleFyrus

Postby PurpleFyrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:25 am

PurpleFyrus

Postby PurpleFyrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 am

PurpleFyrus

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby PurpleFyrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:52 am

Cube

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby Cube » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:10 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:15 am

Wow, it's so sad to see the shitstorm going on in social media when the game is so close to release... :/ People sure like to overreact!

I mean..., when I read about Playtonic's decision I didn't appreciate it (I like Jontron, I enjoy his content and I think he did a lot to keep the "old Rare" fanbase alive) but I accepted it. I won't discuss if Jon's comments were hate speech or not because we have had enough of that and it's leading nowhere.

After that minor change Yooka-Laylee still is the game I have been waiting for and it looks fantastic, so I won't let a (in my opinion) bad business decision affect my love for it. Since Jon's voice still is in the initial release we can still decide to keep it - and knowing the internet it won't be long before patches/guides pop up which will make it possible to keep his voice and stay up to date (at least on PC).

I'm not sure how Playtonic should react to all the hate they are receiving now but I think they should make some kind of statement. Backpedaling sure would be unprofessional and defending their decision won't calm the masses - but completely ignoring them won't help here. I hope they acknowledge the anger felt in the fanbase and manage to (at least slightly) soothe things.

I'm just looking forward to this game and don't want hate comments below every social media post so close to release! I miss the days when all you found there was love and anticipation.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am

Well that's just dandy. It seems that after we hit at least 400 replies things are finally starting to settle down.

I think every possible viewpoint whether it is political, ethical of just plain logic had been brought up at least 10 times now so lets use this thread as some sort of index and create a Q&A topic referring to this thread to see if your concern has already been discussed (it was most probably) so it can be archived for use in all future conflicts.

Now we can all go forward and enjoy the game to our heart's content!

(Unless you ... please use index)
Stop picking your nose

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 pm

There are too many people attacking thoughts and not enough people attacking actions.

Opinions can change, but actions are forever. All JonTron stated were unpopular opinions.

Jontron didn't deserve this.

twinspectre

Postby twinspectre » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 pm

can't wait for Yooka Laylee (PS4) :geek: :D :lol:

Return to “Community Discussion”