Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Rueckkoppler

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Stop picking your nose

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Well he didn't make it into the final game but he will go down as being the topic for the longest thread on the forums...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 am

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Out of all people on the internet, I surprisingly found Keemstar to make the best comment on this whole situation:

"If this had been any other person who said these things, we would've crucified him."

It's very easy to jump to the defense of JonTron because he's funny and likable. There was a lot of things he said that can't be defended, yet you're tempted to rationalize it because it's coming from the mouth of someone that you have established a very positive relationship with.

I don't get why people are acting as if JonTron was this huge selling point from the get-go, when in reality he was not. I've been here since day one, and all I can remember was some flirting between JonTron and the devs over twitter, but there was never any official announcement or confirmation that any of it came to fruition until they announced he was NOT in the game.

This is definitely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I'm sorry Playtonic had to get caught up in it.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Oh no... hurry up, we need to label bwh80 and siggeplump with terms like SJW or anti-white before their logic gets to us... ;)

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:08 pm

I'd love for a kickstarter to be free of drama. -.-; Is that so much to ask at this point?

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Stop picking your nose

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm

I like it that the OP made this excellent thread some hours before this whole debacle began (and is still ongoing as we speak because Playtonic stays silent), got his wish, and never came back to say thank you to Playtonic who now endures the onslaught of their pissed off customers. Thanks OP! /s

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Stop picking your nose

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:18 am

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 am

I believe this guy makes a good point. Disregard the end of the video though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8u6n9Wkxd0

Slippery slope isn't always a fallacy.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 am

One thing I'd add to this ongoing discussion is that I think it's unfair to lump all of Team17 and the moderation team (including me; however, I am not part of Team17) in with Playtonic. In my view, we are separate entities. It's Playtonic, mostly the ex-Rare staff, that made the game over two years; it was Team17 who came under fire for being 'rude' to JonTron fans and 'silencing' Steam forum members. As the publisher, I think Team17 are the ones who carry out a lot of the PR things (although admittedly I'm not entirely sure how the work is split). Playtonic themselves are pretty busy creating the actual game.

Personally I have absolutely no affiliation with Playtonic; my sole purpose is to moderate the forums and keep things neat and tidy, and I do this for free as a hobby because I love the game and company. I've been quoted telling people how they might be able to get a refund, to help the best I could, but also giving my opinion that I don't think they should receive one under these circumstances. As a member here, I am allowed to state my opinions just like everybody else, providing I follow the forum rules. People have also made a big deal about me locking threads, which I still don't understand as there was nothing else to add in those topics that hadn't been said -- I gave advice on how to contact Playtonic directly to discuss refunds. These forums are not the place to make multiple refund requests.

I can see why some people are angry/upset (some JonTron fans and some just upset with the whole 'political' side), but I do think a few people may be jumping to conclusions and overreacting, especially the ones that are flaming and being extremely offensive to others...

Anyway, I am going to continue moderating how I always have done.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 am

Stop picking your nose

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 am

Return to “Community Discussion”