Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
RareAware

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby RareAware » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 am

If you check the kickstarter page, there are quite a few people demanding refunds. It seems Playtonic may have very well bumped into a bigger hornet's nest than the one it was originally trying to avoid.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 am

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:54 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:57 am

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:01 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 am

ShanPen

Re: A Solution to the JonTron Debacle We can all Support.

Postby ShanPen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:08 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:12 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 am

It's one thing to use words, but it's another to use actions. I don't think enough people think about this.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:53 am

Playtonic has every right to decide what sort of values they stand for, with their work. I support them in this.

It is unfortunate that we are making judgements about the character of various humans, based off of social/political viewpoints. We don't live in a world of heros and villains, beliefs may possess harmful qualities, but the people who hold them are almost disappointingly "just like anyone else."

If any of you have friends or family who voted for Trump/Brexit (or you did yourself and know people on the other side of the political chasm), surely you've found that they aren't all actually that horrible, or indeed far from it! They still have their strengths and weaknesses like the rest of us.
Jon made a nice tweet today that conveyed support and understanding, I saw. He provably feels more complexly inside, but chose to convey a respectful disposition.

Would be nice if there were some great evil we could lash out on, blame for the woes of our world -- that would really simplify things. Realy though, life is such a mysterious, conundrum ... and it's hardly a simple thing, knowing what to do or be, and frankly how much of a choice we even have.

Edit: maybe that great evil is Ganon, go play Zelda :D

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:03 am

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 am

Totally valid! I googled Yooka Laylee today, and to my disappointment got politics! Quite burnt out on these issues myself, to be honest.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:29 am

I wish Playtonic would just throw in a generic disclaimer to the effect of: "People of various backgrounds and beliefs were involved with the creation of this game; none of them necessarily reflect the views of Playtonic Games." That's a compromise I'd be perfectly content with.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 am

Sad thing is if they just kept quiet, or even quietly removed jontron's voice nobody would have noticed and they would have probably avoided all this stress. By taking the time to make an announcement they directly politicized their game. It comes off (unintentionally I imagine) as virtue signaling which a lot of people are growing more and more tired of. I know they had the best of intentions but I think this is going to do far more damage to them than simply staying silent.

I get WHY they did it, but they went about it the wrong way in my opinion.

Also Banning people and deleting threads on steam will not stop people from talking about this. the Streisand effect is a hell of a thing. The more you try to suppress a story, a debate, a topic, or any descent of any kind, the more it spreads like wildfire.

It's strange how professional community managers and PR people never seem to learn this.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 am

I don't think there is any discussion to be had here; I am so tempted to lock this thread.

Playtonic decide who does and doesn't contribute to their game. It was JonTron's privilege to be offered a minor voice mumbling role, and it was by no means guaranteed for him. He lost his chance by saying things wholly inappropriate -- something which Playtonic, a family-orientated company, want no connection with. What more is there to say about that?

If you don't want to play the game because of this, then don't. It's so simple.

I really don't understand why people are persisting to throw tantrums. :cry:
Taylonic Ltd.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:43 am

"I don't think there is any discussion to be had here; I am so tempted to lock this thread."

Thank you for making my point! XD

I get your points above but you need to let people vent.

whether you agree or not, this is the only way it will stop. If you close one topic on this matter another will take its place until people get tired of talking about it. Best to let it will burn out with time
Last edited by Pgcrooner on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 am

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 am

Return to “Community Discussion”