Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Yavga

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yavga » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 am

Stop picking your nose

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 am

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:54 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:19 am

Am I the only one around here who doesn't give a turd about JonTron or his voice acting?
There are more important matters surrounding YL atm, I think.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:21 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am

The big issue isn't JonTron being removed. It's Playtonic responding in what appeared to be a massive kneejerk reaction to appease people like the above while offering little assurance that the decision was even one the employees had confidence in. ...Because no matter how much fallout they were getting, everyone locking their accounts and vanishing directly afterwards didn't do a whole lot for optics.

Playtonic should have had Andy Robinson (or whoever does PR now) on the scene posthaste where he could have at least *tried* to reassure backers that the studio's decision was autonomous and not entirely a result of scaredy-cat NeoGAF succumbence. They really need to get on this.

DayDrinkingDan

Postby DayDrinkingDan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Interesting. The same thing happened to Micheal Jackson and Sega. Of course he was under suspicion of molestation and JonTron just has differing opinions. I see how the reactions would be the same.

Sarcasm aside, I think the removal of this cameo is uncalled for. No matter what the man said, no matter if you agree with him or not, you cannot deny the effect he has had for the Banjo series. I was unaware of his cameo until it was slated to be removed honestly, but it would have been a sweet easter egg. I think the buzz Jon has created for this series and this new game should more than earn him a cameo.

It takes all different kinds of people, thoughts and ideas to run this world. I am curious to see if Playtonic continues the trend of past mistakes of other gaming companies. They've already covered Sega, maybe its not far off to predict Rare 2.0 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:35 pm

This is the last thing I wanted before the release. On the bright side, at least this game IS being released!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Stop picking your nose

JonTronWasRight

Postby JonTronWasRight » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and am woefully ignorant on how free speech actually works from a legal perspective in the U.S. let alone the U.K. and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but I think it's kind of scary that this guy was kicked from this project just for having an opinion. This seems like a real first amendment issue that this guy can't just have an opinion and not lose his job over it. Think about the damage this kind of censorship does to art and free speech. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle because being racist is bad but being too not racist is just as bad.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Can we personally block threads so we don't see this junk?

I have no idea what's going on, but as Playtonic is not a government that promises freedom of speech and equal opportunity, there is literally nothing wrong with whatever they're doing by not including someone in their development team or whatever is going on.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GamesOfAwe

Postby GamesOfAwe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Hey, look on the bright-side! At the very least we can be sure that Playtonic agrees with the personal views of everyone else that contributes to the game.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Right, and with that let's get back to actual important stuff. Yooka's feet. You think they'll still smell as great? I love Yooka's feet.
Stop picking your nose

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:20 pm

I didn't want to post about this subject but a thought just came to me (wich may have been brought up already but wathever):

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Jontron ends up getting his role back, just as it was intended to be, and turns out to be an insignificant npc who makes vague sounds just like every character and so Jontron's voice is almost unrecognizable anyway?

I remember one of the earliest South Park episodes, first season, wich had George Clooney himself voicing... a dog. Nothing but simple barks. Something like that.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm not reading through 8 pages of this, but what the heck does this have anything to do with the game (content, gameplay, story etc.) and why does it even matter to people? Who cares who mumbles what? Can't decipher one person from the next when it comes to the mumbling "voices."

TheAnvil

Postby TheAnvil » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Project Ukelele for Wii U. @MLFoxwell

Pomigard

Postby Pomigard » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Honestly despised Jontron's behaviour the last weeks and was hoping I would never need to care about him, but I wish playtonic would just ignore this stuff and not give any attention to it. While I don't like him, removing him for his political views is pretty gross imo (it's just a voice, he's NOT a politican and has never hurt a human being). Especially after he made an apology video explaining why he acted like a nazi. Basically being fed-up with liberalism becoming more totalitarian against people they deem "bad" (mostly white people, racists and men), which is understanding and I support those views, but feels hypocritical with the things he said on twitter in the past, which I do not support.

If you support equality you should always act towards equality, not jump on a new train because some passengers are being annoying. I hate all this diversity bullshit too where companies require X amount of people from each race regardless of their qualifications. However I won't go against liberalism for it and act like blacks and muslims are not equal because some fake liberals are trying to act like white people and men are bad. That's just hypocritical and screw that.

But anyway, I hope this will all be forgotten soon or playtonic will give him his dumb role back so we can focus on what matters most. Yooka-Laylee and Playtonic's debut as a new indie studio. It really bummed me a lot seeing drama for my most anticipated game and game studio so close to release, I hope it won't affect the fans or the company too much and they'll forget about the incident. Also sorry for this rant, just felt like putting it here.

Politics and video games should NEVER mix together.

ShyGuyXXL

Postby ShyGuyXXL » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:08 pm

If what Jon said really isn't true, then what's better?
Decrying him as a bad person and never interacting with him again?
Or maybe, you know, actually TALKING to him and trying to correct him?
If his beliefs are based on faulty statistics then you can simply tell him HOW they are faulty and I'm sure if he sees the facts he will change his mind.
Jon may suck at debating but he's not intellectually dishonest.

DayDrinkingDan

Postby DayDrinkingDan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Return to “Community Discussion”