Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
ArchedThunder

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby ArchedThunder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 am

Peeps, calm your tits, it's a game about a chameleon and a bat having fun. Stop juggling all these twisted balls as if this game has some sort of political agenda because of something entirely understandable even without bringing politics in it. It's waaaaaay out of context already.

I mean, look at yourself! sheesh!
Stop picking your nose

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:28 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:29 am

As someone who backed the game on day one and has been looking forward to it ever since, this turn of events is very unfortunate. I believe in the tolerance of ideas from all across the political spectrum and am repulsed that Playtonic would remove a voice actor simply because of his views.

If Playtonic wants to be distanced from Jontron for his views, consistency demands that you should also distance yourselves from the money of "bigoted" backers who share his views. I do not support any company trying to enforce ideological homogeny within the game industry. I've already submitted my request for a refund and unfollowed Playtonic on Twitter.

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 am

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:00 am

UglyCrankyWhisker

Postby UglyCrankyWhisker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 am

First off, I am a huge fan of your work. I treasure signed copies of previous masterpieces by staff members of your company on the legendary work that they have done. I have no doubt that the newest title, Yooka-Laylee will be up there with your previous work such as Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, and Diddy Kong Racing (amongst MANY others). One of the best parts about these games is that I can still play the game as it was originally intended many years ago. No matter how old these games get, I can play the same product over and over that you spent many months/years putting work into knowing that I am playing the same exact content that you intended it to during development. However, I'm afraid that this ability will be lost with the upcoming release of Yooka-Laylee.

I am mainly writing to inform you that I agree with your stance as a company that you should not back other people's political opinions. This is ultimately the safest bet for the security of your company. However, I cannot help but notice at the same time that you have decided to voice an opinion, contradicting what you have stated. Although I may not agree entirely with the words of Jonathan Jafari, you have chosen to outright come out and publish a statement stating that you are going to remove content from the game because you do not support someone's political opinion.

May I have to remind you of what some of your cast members have stated about other individuals expressed through public social media accounts. For instance, one is quoted by stating "trumps a window cleaning idiot", "f**ck Trump, Nintendo are back" and finally, "We all have Twitter accounts to do and say whatever the cupcake we want". Are you stating that the entire company including Mr. Kirkhope supports this? Well wait he just said he can "say whatever the cupcake we want"? So why can't Jontron? What's so explicit that he said that Grant hasn't. Why not remove all music tracks and other work from Grant?

I cannot help but read that you have chosen this path because of "diversity". May I ask you how your team at Playtonic Studios is "diverse"? You have 26 team members which all are white males with the exception of 2 female members. Moreover, you are famous for displaying hidden sexual innuendos in your work with extremely suggestive things such as displaying penises within your games. Why do you feature vagianas in your work too?

Where does the line get drawn for you? I unfortunately cannot invest into this project anymore and would like to request a refund. I pledged £340+ and refuse to support this company and it's recent involvement in politics. You are intolerable of other people's views and I simply cannot support a company that believes that shunning other people is not a "political stunt".

Hiniku

Postby Hiniku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 am

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 am

Very well-said, UglyCrankyWhisker.

Hiniku

Postby Hiniku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:48 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 am

Hiniku

Postby Hiniku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 am

UglyCrankyWhisker

Postby UglyCrankyWhisker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:59 am

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 am

UglyCrankyWhisker

Postby UglyCrankyWhisker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:22 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 am

Alright I want to take a few steps back here. I haven't finished the debate JonTron had because I got like 6 minutes in and Destiny just started irritating me. So what exactly did Jon say that was racist? I'm a little curious to know and don't really want to go through this 2 hour debate.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:24 am

So aren't Playtonic being bigots, by definition, for not tolerating Jon's viewpoint?

Return to “Community Discussion”