Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
ryanator008

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby ryanator008 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 am

Last edited by ArchedThunder on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:31 am

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 am

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 am

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:36 am

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 am

I completely support Platonic Games with their decision.

And I can’t believe all the people here trying to make out that JonTron is the victim.

He was not “fired for his personal opinion” because he did not keep his opinion personal. It wasn’t like it was just average-Joe employee having a personal conversation with a co-worker in the lunch room where anything stupid said wouldn’t go any further - no, he, as an internet celebrity, said stupid, racist stuff in a public forum for all to read/hear, and now has to face the consequences of his actions.

You can hold whatever views you want privately, but if your career relies on an audience on a very public platform, and you’re dumb enough to say something massively offensive about a large group of people, then those people (and people who support those people) are going to be upset, and your audience may decrease - that’s just cause and effect.

Platonic obviously don’t support his racist statements, so as a guest voice contributor they’ve opted to take him out of their game, which is their prerogative. That’s not censorship, that’s just choosing who you want to be associated with. No different to if you had a friend and then found out they’d been saying or doing things you don’t agree with, you’d stop hanging out with them - they can still go do the stupid stuff elsewhere, but you won’t tolerate it in your own house.

He’s lucky that the consequence was just having his voice removed from game. That’s WAY less of a consequence than the ongoing effects of racism have on the people Jon decided to speak so carelessly about. :cry:

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:03 am

Plus does anyone else have a suspicion that some of these "I just made an account to say this" people might just be JonTron fans coming here pretending to be backers or potential buyers of the game, to try and pressure PlayTonic into changing their mind by skewing things to look as if more people are actually upset about JonTron being removed than reality?

Like how if a company does something controversial (such as having a gay couple in its advertisement), people who disagree but aren't even existing customers or people who'd ever use the company in the first place will still write to the company threatening to "boycott", just to try and get their own way by trying to scare the company.

PORKSLOPE

Postby PORKSLOPE » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:09 am

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:19 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:20 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

ArchedThunder

Postby ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:26 am

Thinking racism is bad is not a political stance, it's something every compassionate human should believe.

PandaLover

A Solution to the JonTron Debacle We can all Support.

Postby PandaLover » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:33 am

People are divided on the issue of JonTron being removed from the game due to his racist statements. I believe I have a solution that everyone can be happy with. There is a character that playtonic put into a game, a racist flower. I believe this is on the jungle world. The flower initially dislikes yooka-laylee because they are not flowers like him. They made the flower jokingly racist. You can get a transformation to look like a flower at which point the flower is willing to interact with you. So why not make JonTron the voice of the racist flower? Think about it:

Pro JonTron group happy? Check! JonTron gets to be in the game afterall.

Anti JonTron group happy? Check! JonTron is portrayed as the racist scum he is!

Is it Hilarious? Check! This would be funny on many different levels (no pun intended)!

Everyone wins!

No need to thank me, Im a problem solver, its what I do.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:38 am

I've read a lot of responses from the people who are "glad" Jon got cut, and think Playtonic was justified for cutting him from the game... and that just signals to me how petty and how toxic political correctness has gotten. Yes, PC culture is still a thing, and it's obviously still a huge thing that we haven't gotten away from, because as we can see, you can and WILL get punished for the things you say--SAY... not DO. Nobody can just argue and debate about what we disagree with, we have to PUNISH people for "wrongthink."

This sounds like something out of 1984, where you're punished for your speech... I'm sorry, what's the more harmful message to send our kids, that we should veer away from multiculturalism, which dilutes and destroys American culture, or that they're not free to express themselves without punitive action?

And I realize there are two points of contention surrounding JonTron. His thoughts on American culture and how we shouldn't just let every refugee from all over the world come in without even vetting them properly, and his somewhat/possibly misinformed statistics on black crime in the US.

Please point out to me where there was an EMOTIONAL argument he was making about black crime in the US that proves definitively that he's making racist statements, since I have a feeling this was the main point of controversy. Did he say blacks are more violent? Did he say blacks are inferior? What did he say that was *inherently* racist? Nothing. People like to shout "RACIST" just to shut you up. That's not debate, that's name-calling.

But the point is, what he said *sounds* racist. That's all these SJW's care about, and that's why Playtonic cut JonTron.

They cut him out of fear... and I'm sorry, but that is the most low, cowardly thing they could have done. I don't care if it's just a couple of mumbles, it's such a petty thing to do for someone's uncalibrated opinion they had on a particular topic. JonTron is not the head of any political office, it has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON ANYTHING what he thinks on anything related to US politics domestic or abroad.

So all of you people proclaiming you're "glad" JonTron was cut, I hope you know that you're terrible, reactionary, petty people who get easily triggered, and that's why we can't have JonTron in the game. Because of people like YOU.

Oh, and I'm canceling my order, Playtonic, if you're reading this. You need to know that if you're going to cheat your backers out of content without their expressed consent, you don't deserve--nor are you ENTITLED to--our money.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 am

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 am

Return to “Community Discussion”