What kind of an audience of gamers is here? Tell me about yourself.

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
supergardie

Re: What kind of an audience of gamers is here? Tell me about yourself.

Postby supergardie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am

I always hated the word "gamer". I don't know why, but it really rubs me the wrong way. I don't see "enjoys video games" as a defining personality trait, so I guess maybe I find the word unnecessary. Or maybe it's just the way it sounds, like "moist". Just sounds wrong. Anyway...

First game? I'm not sure. Something on the NES, probably Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt, but I did have this "21-in-1" cartridge with a bunch of pirated games on it, and I loved that thing. It had Mappy on it, and Mappy is the best arcade game ever. I love Mappy. Apparently my mom played it obsessively while she was pregnant with me, so maybe that explains things. My first Favourite Game Ever was Super Mario 64. I was obsessed with it as a little kid, and would often feign sickness so I could stay home from school (at my grandma's) and play my cousin's N64.

The N64 was my favourite thing as a kid (and I still have my old one, in working condition). After my Super Mario 64 obsession, I discovered The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and ever since I've been a fantasy geek and a huge Zelda fan. The Zelda series is my uncontested favourite; I own them all. I was introduced to Banjo Kazooie by accident; I rented it at a Blockbuster one day, because the box looked cool, probably. Anyway, my siblings and I loved it so much that we rented it three times in a row just so we could beat it. After that, of course I ended up adoring Banjo Tooie and DK64. I don't remember how either of those came along.

I played a lot of Pokemon as a kid, too, though only on my cousins' Game Boys and with their cartridges, because I didn't own a Game Boy until the Advance came out. I got Pokemon Silver on it. I now own at least one Pokemon game from every generation except the first one, and I really want Pokemon Yellow. The Golden Sun games were probably my favourite for GBA.

Obviously, I'm a Nintendo fan. I do enjoy Playstations as well, but not as much. I loved the Spyro games, and Crash Bandicoot was fun, too. I also enjoy the Tales of... series, which have more games on Playstations than anything else, so I bought my husband a PS3 and used it to play Tales of Xillia. I have never owned an Xbox because there really hasn't been much on them that I want. I like Fable and might enjoy a couple of the Rare games released on it, but I'm not going to buy an expensive console for five games.

I absolutely hate shooter games, especially when they need to be all "gritty" and "realistic". I am weirdly excited for Splatoon, though. Another game I can't stand is League of Legends; my husband is a huge fan, and I cannot understand the appeal. I find it so boring. So incredibly, mind-numbingly boring and tedious and ugh. Yet it has legions of ridiculously obsessed, dedicated fans. Meh. I can hear it now... clickclickclickclick.

Basically, I love Nintendo. I own an N64, a Game Cube, a Wii (admittedly, I never liked the Wii much, though it had some good games), a Wii U, a GBC (my husband's old one; it's mine now), a GBA, original DS, original 3DS, and a New 3DS XL. I also have a PS1 and a PS3, and I want a PS2 and a PS Vita (and hey, one day a PS4 when they're not stupid expensive). I love Zelda games, Mario games, and cute, colourful 3D platformers like the Rare games.

Jaresk

Postby Jaresk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm

- -

Zita

Postby Zita » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:43 pm

| | |

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:32 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:14 am

I'm personally a huge fan of RPGs, the Final Fantasy series holding the most sway for me, but also Mass Effect and Dragon Age. As I left my teen years my taste started to vary, and whilst I generally dislike games with guns, I am very much into the Borderlands series as well.

Nintendo held a big part of my childhood but I drifted away from them as a teenager - I suffered from the typical "I don't play that kid stuff" mentality. Other than Pokémon, I moved on to the PlayStation. Lately, with the release of the Wii U, I've gone back to Nintendo, and Skyward Sword was a masterpiece. Naturally it's going to be glorious to revisit old memories with Project Ukulele, and I can't wait to see what the Kickstarter reveals.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:22 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Had no idea members on here were so young.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:45 am

Ragrunzel

Postby Ragrunzel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:27 pm

My very first own game was The Jungle Book for Gameboy. Got it together with the Gameboy Pocket for my 8th birthday. One of the best days in my life! I've played other games before, but only at my cousin's or friend's.

Back then I always wanted to have all the Disney games, so the next ones my brother and me got were games like The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Lion King and Mickey Mouse Magic Wands. Fun fact: The first games I was ever interested in were Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong Country 3, thinking you could play every game in the world on your Gameboy....... but so Rare and me kiiinda had history even before we ACTUALLY had history, if that makes sense :D

The first Rare game we actually got was Donkey Kong Land. I've always loved the boss music so much!
Of all Rare games the ones we own to date are DKC 1-3 (also the ones for GBC and GBA), DK Land 1-3, DK64, BK & BT, Conker's BFD, JFG, PD, Mickey's Speedway USA, Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Conker's Pocket Tales, SFA, Kameo, Viva Pinata.. yeah, I think that's it. Not really counting probably, but I'll also list Timesplitters 2.
Perfect Dark was the hardest to get. Back then I wanted to have it for my 12th birthday and sat next to my mother when she was about to order it via telephone. The seller, however, recommended her not to buy me the game.... so she didn't. That was such a very, very sad moment for an innocent, poor little girl. But a little later my brother and me saw it in a store (which is kind of odd, since it has never been released in Germany). He took the price sticker and put it over the age restriction...which is how we finally got our hands on it 8-)

Besides the Rare games some of my all time favorites include the Pokemon main games, Dragon Quest Monsters, Ôkami, Monster Hunter series, Zelda series (MM <3), Lufia series, Golden Sun, Fantasy Life, Smash Bros series (Melee being on the top), Mother 3... wah. I have played too many amazing games, wish I could list all of them here to do them justice!

You have probably noticed I'm a very big Nintendo fan. However, I'm open to everything and there are other games on other platforms I'm dying to play, but I can't do everything simultaneously :)
Also, my brother and me were never spoiled with games and consoles. For example, our mother wouldn't allow us to have an N64, even if we bought it ourselves...or that's what she said. We (only being around ~10 and 12 years old at that time) saved absolutely every penny nonetheless. In the end, she was so touched by our determination that she gave us the last few bucks, and so we had our very first home console. SNES came a few years later, but to this date I still don't own a NES! Will do someday in the future though, I'm sure of that.

By the way, I'm 25 years old now, if that's from interest to you.
Ribbit ribbit. Rabbit rabbit.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

ottake

Postby ottake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:37 pm

I really liked Banjo on the 64, even when DK64 had the smoother graphics and looked better, banjo was better gameplay-wise.

My favorite games are usually fast arcadey stuff like F-Zero, Metal Slug, Street Fighter 3, or Devil May Cry (the old one not the fake-ass reboot).
Then I really like some chill games like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, stuff with a lot of attention to detail...
And finally, while not my favorites, my guilty pleasure are those games that aren't too polished but have weird crap in them like Deadly Premonition, Mischief Makers or Flower, Sun & Rain. I admit they might not be fun for most people, or might not even be technically acceptable at times, but they are interesting anyway

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Whitedragon

Postby Whitedragon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:14 am

For me my gaming experience started on the PC actually. At the age of 3ish my father picked up a game called warcraft 2 Tides of darkness and after spending a day or so watching him play I fell in love with the idea of building things can commanding your men around.

As for my favorite genre I think it has stayed a mix between RTS, Adventure, and RPG.
If I had to make a list of my favorite games now a days while keeping it down to 1 per brand…

1. Warcraft 3 (Honestly this is the only PC game I will load on to every computer I ever own. The ability to create your own maps, the vast library of games made by people, and the grate single player story slams this in as my #1

2. Metroid fusion (Some may wonder how this beats out Super metroid and prime, but for me the atmosphere this game gave, and the outstanding bosses beat out the other two.

3. Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door (This game had it all Wonderful comedy, Grate level Designee [From more stock levels like fields and forests to more unique like a tournament arena and a whole section just on a train.], engaging characters, and a grate over arching story.)

4. The legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask (Honestly dose this game need any introduction at this point. Love it or hate it almost everyone knows what it is and what it dose.)

5. Final fantasy 3 {6 now a days} (While 2 {4} had its moments, and 7 did a lot right, 6 was the culmination of elements that just clicked for me. To this day I’m still hoping for a 3D remake to go crazy over.)

6. Banjo Kazooie (While I also loved super Mario 64, I think good old bare and bird win out for the collocation game type here)

7. Starcraft (this game took what I loved of warcraft 2 and gave it a wonderful Si-Fi setting and a grate story.)

8. Spyro the Dragon (Having an unnatural fetish for dragons this game was a must have for me when it came out. Once loading it up I ended up with a wonderful game regardless of my blind buying tendencies, so that’s a plus.)

9. Halo CE (I have always liked FPS’s such as golden eye or Metroid prime {which is a combo of FPS and adventure} halo had an interesting spot as not only an FPS but one with a grate story and a multiplayer worthy of recognition.)

10. Pokémon Sapphire version (I have played every generation, but for some reason #3 connected the most with me. Also loving my remake that finally came out after all of this time.)

Some honorable mentions would be the Super smash brothers series, the Diablo series, Super Mario world, The Advanced wars series, The Fire emblem series, the Donkey Kong series, Kingdome Hearts, and the C&C series.

DudeSean

Postby DudeSean » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:11 am

I have no idea what my first game was. I've been playing video games since before I can remember. The farthest back I can remember is having an Atari 2600 and an NES. But pretty much once we got the NES, we put the Atari 2600 away and never touched it again. Then we got the SNES, N64 and GameCube. Then when I turned 18 I got my own DS, GameCube, Wii, 3DS, Wii U and just recently got a PS3.

My family had about 20-30 NES games total (once they stopped buying NES games). I played them all frequently. I made it my goal to beat all of them, although there were a few I probably didn't. I had some of the classics, like Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Zelda 1&2, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Castlevania 1&3, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior. Then we had some more obscure games like Deadly Towers, Rygar and Legendary Wings. I think the hardest game I beat as a kid was Deadly Towers. I beat Zelda 1&2, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, among others, but Deadly Towers was very confusing to navigate, didn't have a save feature, used a horrible password system and was just a very clunky game. Obviously now I can look back at it and just say that it's a crappy game, but I guess I didn't think that way back then. I just accepted the game for what it was and didn't think of it as flawed.

As for Rare games, we had Wizards & Warriors 1&2, Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES), Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (SNES), Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Donkey Kong 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Starfox Adventures. I very much enjoy all of those games. Beating Battletoads & Double Dragon was always excruciating, but I've done it. No way I ever beat Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. The Battletoads games are just too hard. I have beat Goldeneye on 00 Agent and unlocked all the cheat codes, but I've never been able to get past the Area 51 levels on Perfect Agent in Perfect Dark.

My favorite games of all time, that's hard to just make a list off the top of my head, but I'll try anyway:
1. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
2. Perfect Dark (n64)
3. Goldeneye
4. Starfox Adventures
5. Donkey Kong Country 2
6. Donkey Kong Country
7. Super Castlevania IV
8. Contra III: The Alien Wars
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Super Mario Bros. 3

That was a hard list to make, and if I had to make it again tomorrow it would probably be slightly different, but I think that gives a pretty good indication. I'm not really in to RPGs, but I like the way it's done in Zelda 2 and Chrono Trigger is just such a good game, I can forgive the fact that it's an RPG. Actually, I do like some RPGs, I just don't have the time for them anymore, I guess.

Oh, and I also like TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect.

What have I played recently? Well, one of my favorite games right now, actually, is Black Ops 1 on PS3, purely for the Zombies mode. I used to play it when I would hang out with friends who had a PS3, but I've moved since then so I don't have any friends that live nearby and have a PS3 with Zombies, so I just got my own. I also got some other games for PS3, like the Metal Gear Solid games. I do have a Wii U, too, though, so I've been playing some Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. for Wii U. I also played Shovel Knight recently, that was fun. I still go back to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and the Wizards & Warriors games pretty regularly, though.

Well, this post is long enough, so I'll just leave it at that.

One more thing, I'm 29.

ottake

Postby ottake » Fri May 01, 2015 7:46 pm

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun May 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Some pretty good taste in games here!

My first games were Tetris Attack, Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World all at once (what a childhood!)

As for my top games, I've only ever been able to bring it down to 10, although I can't rank them for the life of me. All I know is that EarthBound is number 1, and Paper Mario 2 is in the top 3 if not 2nd place.

-EarthBound
-Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox or PC)
-Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
-DKC 2
-Animal Crossing (GC)
-F.E.A.R. (PC)
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix+
-Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon (I was happy to hear the members of Playtonic list this as a favorite)
-Wario Land 4

I have a separate category for Smash Bros. Melee. At this point, it's like a sport among me and nearly every one of my friends, so I feel like it's a mandatory inclusion, and don't even bother mentioning it.

Return to “Community Discussion”