Does anyone else think David Wise's music doesn't fit the game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
CrazyChaos

Re: Does anyone else think David Wise's music doesn't fit the game?

Postby CrazyChaos » Fri May 01, 2015 11:34 pm

I think it fits fine. It can't all be exactly the same as Banjo-Kazooie. There are many other things to come that will not give off the same Banjo vibe, but this is Yooka-Laylee not Banjo-Kazooie. It is its own game, it is just inspired by another game and taking over where it left off at. It will probably fit in just fine once it has some imagery associated with it.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:37 pm

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Fri May 01, 2015 11:47 pm

BK-EZ

Postby BK-EZ » Fri May 01, 2015 11:59 pm

I actually find it really baffling more people aren't upset by this. So many people hate Nuts'n'Bolts for having such different gameplay from the N64 games, despite Nuts'n'Bolts having really great gameplay on its own. Here is what is supposed to be a Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor with music, half of it anyway, not even attempting to be in the style of Banjo-Kazooie, but "it sounds like good music so who cares".

Pauper

Postby Pauper » Sat May 02, 2015 12:02 am

I prefer both of them to be honest. I like the nostalgia feeling from Grant's but I also like the new feel of David's song as well. Grant's sounds like a complete Banjo-Kazooie ripoff and I don't know if I like that to much.

BK-EZ

Postby BK-EZ » Sat May 02, 2015 12:07 am

Last edited by BK-EZ on Sat May 02, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Sat May 02, 2015 12:26 am

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sat May 02, 2015 12:30 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sat May 02, 2015 1:12 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 am

A spiritual successor isn't just a reskin. Take Bioshock for example. It's a spiritual successor to System Shock, but it has its own identity.

croissant

Postby croissant » Sat May 02, 2015 2:15 am

I agree that coherency matters. And at the same time, I can only admit that I really do enjoy the vibes from both tracks. I think in terms of there being three composers for this game, they ought perhaps to compromise to some degree, regarding the style and use of instruments. I believe The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker had four composers. Regardless, I never felt that the soundtrack was questionable in any way; every theme basically feels like it's part of something wholesome. Even the very distinct theme of Dragon Roost Island feels like a drop from the same ocean. Anyhow, as I keep listening to these two themes after one another, I feel they both share an essence that is coherent with the essence of the visual theme they were composed for. Their styles may be a little different, but I personally enjoy how the laid back feel of Wise's tune complements the firm and sturdy melody of Kirhope's theme – it's like a hearty dinner followed by a creamy dessert. I find it quite delightful in that sense.

Emralled

Postby Emralled » Sat May 02, 2015 3:24 am

I do think the tracks are markedly different; Kirkhope's track sounds like it's straight out of a Banjo game, Wise's sounds like it could fit in any Donkey Kong game, or in any generally tropical-themed game. Because of this, I actually think Wise's track fits this particular game better, because Yooka-Laylee has a more "tropical", "lush" vibe than the Banjo games did; from the animals chosen for the main characters, to the hub world style itself. Purely straight-from-a-Banjo-game music, to me, seems a bit at odds with the developing Yooka vibe, at least judging from the pre-alpha lush, green, sunny hub-world footage we've seen so far. That's just my first impressions though, I'm sure there will be situations in the game where one musical style will fit better with the scenery than the other.

Since there will be many different world themes, environments, and situations present in Yooka-Laylee, I think both musicians' work can comfortably fit within the same game, along with other contributors. Maybe they just shouldn't show up side-by-side, in the same or similar worlds or environments. But both can coexist.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 02, 2015 8:47 am

I love what David did. Both pieces are clearly different stylistically and Kirkhope wins when it comes to the Banjo-Kazooie style, but I think both styles would work in Ukulele. Wise should do all the challenge themes and Kirkhope should do all the level themes, maybe.

There's something about the Wise piece that is so relaxing and catchy. It's like a tropical island. Perfect for a challenge that may take 10 minutes or more to complete.

Kirkhope's style is brilliant for the nostalgia and ties it right in with the Banjo universe.

It's a win-win. I wonder what Steve Burke will do.
Taylonic Ltd.

Archvile78

Postby Archvile78 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:55 am

It's perfectly fine, in fact i'm glad they're both doing their own compositions for the game instead of meshing their styles together.

Wise's music really remind of DKC: Tropical Freeze and i like the way it sound.

freakdave

Postby freakdave » Sat May 02, 2015 8:57 am

In my opinion, Dave's music fits the game perfectly. And you should not forget that the tracks presented on kickstarter are most probably still work in progress. So calm down, drink some tea and let Dave and Grant do their magic ;)

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:21 pm

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Yookalar_Bomb

Postby Yookalar_Bomb » Sat May 02, 2015 11:45 pm

See, when I decided to listen to the music I started with GK's. I really liked it, I could have sworn it was a Banjo-Kazooie song. But then I went over and listened to David's expecting it to be similar, but it wasn't. I listened to it, and I really liked it, very much a tropical feel. I feel that GK's is more paid back to give you the feel of just exploring, while David's is titled as "challenge" making you feel a little more rushed to complete the task, which works perfectly!
Winners don't lose.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat May 02, 2015 11:49 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

followstyle

Postby followstyle » Mon May 04, 2015 6:40 am

David, godlike
I am French of France. Sorry for the translation

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm

David Wise is the man. Grant Kirkhope is also he man. Put faith in both of them to deliver.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”