Backstory for each characters

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dance1211

Backstory for each characters

Postby dance1211 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:20 am

It's been said that the designs have been lackluster (An opinion that I don't really share). What I think would be the best option would be to give our heroes their own fleshed out backstories because then we could all agree that they're recognizable. I don't want to say what they are but It would be a very necessary thing considering this is their debut game.

Jellyfunk

Re: Backstory for each characters

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon May 04, 2015 3:33 am

I hear the word "generic" thrown around a lot. They look no more generic than Mario, Banjo, or Sonic.

I think it's their personalities that will make people love the designs.

Tamashii7

Postby Tamashii7 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:39 am

I'd like to see Yooka wearing some kind of clothing, maybe something small like a necklace or scarf, but otherwise I think the designs are fine.
It would be charming if Yooka and Laylee were misfits who failed to fit in with the rest of their species and were thrown out of their respective communities, after which they found eachother and decided to be misfits together.
Last edited by Tamashii7 on Mon May 04, 2015 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kinoyo

Postby Kinoyo » Mon May 04, 2015 4:46 am

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon May 04, 2015 9:01 am

Yes, but there should be backstories for multiple characters, instead of just the main protagonists. And it should be in the manual of Yooka-Laylee, like Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie did.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 am

I think Yooka and Laylee's backstory should be that they were once a circus acrobat duo. They look quite comical, especially Laylee with her clown-type nose. Their moves are also very acrobatic and circus-like; Laylee riding a rolling Yooka being the prime example.

Also this could make an excuse for a Witchy World-type level. Grant does fairground music so well.
Taylonic Ltd.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Mon May 04, 2015 9:17 am

I hope Laylee has a HUGE family! Like you're in the mandatory castle/graveyard/spooky level, and suddenly BATS everywhere and they just tackle the pair adorably and Yooka's just being all cool and chill "Haha!" about it, and Laylee is just "You guys are so embarrassing, we're on an ADVENTURE. Shoo. >o<"

I love the idea of one of the characters having a big family that they don't really fit in with but still love. Nothing too sad and kinda silly! Banjo literally only had a sister, and we don't know about Kazooie's family, so.. yeah.

Of course anything the devs are up for doing for their character things is cool with me, and anything would make me just love them more!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 12:44 pm

I think it'd be funny if Laylee had a huge family referenced somewhere. Bats frequently fly/nest/sleep/whateverbatsdo in huge groups.
Make the forum great again.

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Tue May 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Maybe they were forced to become friends by accident. The wily Laylee was flapping around after accidentally dipping her feet into a tar pit on a hot summer's day. Irked, her volatile zig-zagging left her eager to land anywhere. She chose the nearest tree branch, which really turned out to be Yooka in camouflage. The hot tar singed them together immediately, prompting Yooka to violently change colors and run around in circles. They were stuck together physically and, by the time they could get themselves separated, they were stuck together emotionally. Yooka found that he enjoys Laylee's upbeat company and Laylee finds a sense of purpose in aiding Yooka in his journeys. After all these years, the unlikely duo are still together, dispensing jokes and defeating foes.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Yooka and his family lived in Maui, Hawaii. His mother raised him and his three siblings while his father worked at NSA. One day, Yooka's mother got a phone call saying that Yooka's father and his co-workers had died in a rocket explosion. Rather than grieving, Yooka bottled up his emotions, and sat in front of the TV.

Yooka's mother decided that it was time for a change, she told the whole family that they were moving to Mexico. Week after week of Yooka watching TV, his mother decided to take action, and sell the TV. This infuriated Yooka so much that he decided to leave his home, and never return. For the next few months Yooka slept in his friend's garage, and made money by doing odd jobs.

One day, Yooka's mother found him and had fantastic news. Yooka and his family had inherited over twenty-billion dollars from his late Uncle Banshee. With the money, Yooka bought a mansion back in Hawaii and the largest screen TV in the world.

As seen in the game's opening, Yooka was watching his enormous TV one day, when a bat buzzed by his head. Yooka flicked out his tongue and swallowed it. Unknown to Yooka, the "bat" was actually a metallic transmitter. Suddenly, Yooka's remote jammed and the TV went blank. A huge hand shot out of the screen and grabbed Yooka by his neck, and pulled him into the Media Dimension. The cold claw belonged to Microsoft, the overlord of the Media Dimension, who had intended to make Yooka his new mascot and conquer the world.

Yooka managed to find the hidden pagies in the strange, television worlds. Yooka made it through a disturbing cemetery, an odd cartoon land, an enormous jungle, an ancient Chinese village, the mysterious Planet X, and Rezopolis, the capital of the Media Dimension. Yooka made it into Microsoft's inner sanctum and battled them head-to-head. Using Laylee, Yooka defeated Microsoft, and made it back home in time for his shows. Microsoft transformed into a ball of energy and escaped.

Two years later, Yooka is still living in Maui and still greatly enjoys watching TV. Eventually, every day began to seem like the same one over and over again. Yooka was on the verge of insanity. One day, the TV goes blank for a few seconds, then flashes Microsoft's image over and over again.

Two Playtonic agents show up at Yooka's house, requesting his help. He denies, saying he's already saved the universe once. One of the agents then beats Yooka over the head with a bat (non-flying one), knocking him unconscious.

When he wakes up, he realizes he is in an interrogation room. The two agents ask Yooka what he knows about Microsoft, Yooka tells them everything. Once again they ask for his help, one of the agents reaches under the table and pulls out a briefcase full of pagies, as well as a secret Ice key. Yooka finally agrees to help them. The two agents give him a kinect game, and say they want Microsoft to "disappear",

As Yooka leaves the building, a beautiful female agent walks up to him, and introduces herself as "Agent Stopswopper", she wishes him good luck and leaves. Yooka then leaves to the Media Dimension.

Once Yooka is in the Media Dimension, he navigates through several channels. Toon TV; Scream TV; Rocket Channel; Circuit Central; Kung Fu Theatre; The Pre-history Channel; Rezopolis; and Channel Z. Once Yooka navigates through Rezopolis and Channel Z, he fights the overlord again. By dropping a large TV on top of him, Yooka defeats Microsoft. Microsoft once again transforms into a ball of energy, and is then trapped in the same TV Yooka dropped on him. Microsoft begs him to let him out of the TV, they even bribe him with Banjo Threeie, but Yooka shuts off the TV.

After defeating Microsoft a second time, Yooka retreats back to his mansion in Maui, which was looked after by his newly hired butler, a tortoise named Tuptip. Yooka is watching the news one day, when Agent Swopstopper contacts him through his TV. She says that Microsoft has kidnapped her, and she is trapped in Rezopolis. Yooka uses a secret entrance to the Media Dimension, that he calls the "BatCave".

Yooka navigates through all new channels. Holiday; Mystery; Ancient Egyptian; Army; Western; Pirate; Greek Mythology; Fairytale; Anime; Mafia; Superhero; and Channel Z. Once Yooka collects all the pagies, he travels to an enormous Space Station above Earth, and battles Microsoft. Unlike the previous two times, Microsoft did not transform into a ball of energy, instead he exploded into several pieces, possibly meaning that they are truly dead.

Yooka is last seen in a hotel room with Agent stopswopper, who is telling him about her time in the Media Dimension. Tuptip contacts Yooka, saying there is an emergency, however Yooka disconnects the computer and ignores him.

... There, oh... Spoiler alert for everything above!
Stop picking your nose

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Tue May 12, 2015 4:32 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 12, 2015 6:55 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Tue May 12, 2015 7:55 pm

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue May 12, 2015 8:39 pm

I know I've seen that image (without the added text) somewhere before...

Aha, it's artwork from Final Fantasy Tactics A2!

Gotta love reverse image search, heh...

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 12, 2015 8:45 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 pm

The cool thing is that many of the characters in YL will have their backstories explained, so they CAN have their own games in the future.

So it could be that we meet a grumpy & cruel mouse character in Yooka-Laylee (incl. backstory), who will later be revealed as Conker's spiritual successor or that we meet a space-cat who is actually Fox's spiritual successor.
(These are just examples btw.)

Playtonic can create a whole new game universe, while they still keep the spirits of the old games alive.

Oh and I also expect to see sequels to some of the spiritual successors (ie. YL) in the future and also completely new games which have nothing to do with the older Rare games. :)

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Tue May 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”