Why Playtonic can't do amiibos

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yookalar_Bomb

Why Playtonic can't do amiibos

Postby Yookalar_Bomb » Mon May 04, 2015 1:57 am

Ignoring possible conflicts with Nintendo and integration, let's talk about cost! Nintendo, a multi million dollar company struggles with the demand because if the costs. Now this is Nintendo, a large company with money that can keep them going for 30 years making a negative profit. Now think about Playtonic, an indie bands company of a few guys, having not made a single game yet, and you expect them to come out with thousands of figures for a game? They don't have the budget. Even though it would be a hit, they just couldn't afford it.
Winners don't lose.

Alph

Re: Why Playtonic can't do amiibos

Postby Alph » Mon May 04, 2015 2:18 am

Sure, but that doesn't stop them from using amiibos that are already out. Specifically, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, who are characters from another game series the guys at Playtonic had a hand in creating.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 2:50 am

I honestly don't want Amiibo. They're going to be up on eBay for $1000 seconds after launch. They won't be able to meet the demand.
Make the forum great again.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Mon May 04, 2015 2:59 am

Blue

Postby Blue » Mon May 04, 2015 3:07 am

"Hands off my bread."

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:07 am

I'm sure it would be a commission, and Nintendo would produce and sell them not Playtonic.

BK_Fanatic

Postby BK_Fanatic » Mon May 04, 2015 8:38 am

They should NOT do amiibos!

Merchandising is just as bad as having ads in-game or charging for DLC in my opinion.

I think fans should fill the void with 3d printed or handcrafted items. There are plenty of amazing items that show up on etsy and elsewhere that I think we will get our fix of cute stuff either way.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Mon May 04, 2015 9:07 am

I certainly wouldn't mind having existing amiibos give you a few small things in the game.

But I agree that maybe making Yooka-Laylee amiibos is a little too outside the scope, and the liklihood of Nintendo even bothering to discuss amiibos of characters that AREN'T Nintendo Exclusive? Don't think it would ever happen.

@BK_Fanatic; those jinjo plushies are adorable as all heck, holy crap

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 am

I don't want amiibos anyway theyr pointless. I do however want those jinjos!!

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:15 am

I would LOVE a Yooka and Laylee amiibo. But they wouldn't REALLY help the overall game. But I still want one... If only people would vote for Yooka and Laylee for Smash Brothers... Then Nintendo would make the Amiibo themselves!! :D

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:20 pm

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 pm

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Mon May 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Blue

Postby Blue » Mon May 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Because there would be amiibos being sold for $1,000 on Ebay by people who aren't Nintendo and just want the cash of desperate fans which will happen because Nintendo is notoriously bad at keeping most Amiibos in stock?
Last edited by Blue on Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hands off my bread."

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 pm

when i say i want amiibo support i mean i want nintendo's amiibos like say the supper smash bros. line to unlock something very simple like mario unlocking his hat on yooka or laylee. because well wasn't that supposed to be the whole point of amiibos anyway? just to unlock something small in as many games as possible? it would be stupid of nintendo to not let a team of very well know experienced game developers who they have worked with before & made amazing games before with them not use amiibos in a simple way & as an exclusive to there system! plus amiibo need all the content they can get! (nintendo did say there are open to letting other developers use there amiibos like mario unlock a mario themed outfit for luffy in that one piece 3DS game)

but a yooka-laylee amiibo seams very unlikely at this point & maybe unrealistic right now especially because nintendo them selfs are F*$#ing amiibo up SOOO badly! to the point where scalpers have taken the market LITTORALY HOSTAGE! & only collecters will to spend the time & money to track them down & buy them where the average kid is screwed & the amiibo they want is a pipe dream :/ especially in the US where we have to deal with store exclusives, port strikes & companys putting up preorders when most people are asleep, in school or working! :/

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Mon May 04, 2015 6:46 pm

yeah they do by making people want the wiiu version more for amiibo features not on PC or other systems. i mean nintendo did put mario in that basket ball & snowbordering game with real people in it & it was on the playstation & xbox but they put mario,luigi & peach as the exclusive characters only on gamecube & they can do the same with amiibos as the wiiu exclusive! heck they should be doing that already with other games :D

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Mon May 04, 2015 7:10 pm

but didn't playtonic already said they know wiiu is the main platform that they themselves & most fans want & they are looking into adding in wiiu features like gamepad features & off TV play? thats already working with nintendo in mind by your logic we wouldn't even be getting gamepad features then right?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Make the forum great again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”