What kind of local 4-Player ya hoping for?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

What kind of Multiplayer ya want!?

Minigames (Tooie Style)
40%
Arenas (DK64 Style)
17%
Mission-Based Arenas (Conker Style)
33%
Other (Specify if you wish)
10%

Total votes: 42

Vile Bile

What kind of local 4-Player ya hoping for?

Postby Vile Bile » Tue May 05, 2015 12:43 am

I do love me a bit of smack-your-mate-around-the-back-of-the-head splitscreen, gimme 4-Player local over online any day.

Anyway...

Banjo-Tooie: Minigames
Donkey Kong 64: Arenas
Conker's Bad Fur Day: Mission-Based Arenas

What do ya want/think we'll get, in Yooka Laylee?

I personally would like Conker style multiplayer ...with a minecart racing mode. Everyone loves minecarts. Even you!
I did not know what to write here, so I wrote this.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: What kind of local 4-Player ya hoping for?

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 12:47 am

I'm hoping for Tooie style minigames; they were extremely fun, and the Playtonic team has more overlap with the Banjo team than the Perfect Dark one, so I'm not sure how much I'd trust them with making a multiplayer shooter compared to a platformer or minigames.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Tue May 05, 2015 12:56 am

Like Gang Beasts.

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 am

4 Player quiz-challenge.

Seriously, the one in Kazooie would work similarly to Mario Party 1-8 and the one in Tooie literally is a quizshow...

Since we are going to get a quiz in this game, I want it to be playable for 4 people.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Tue May 05, 2015 3:42 am

I would most prefer a multiplayer that utilizes the core mechanics of the game, so I voted for a DK64 style arena.

Conker's Mission-Based Arenas would be my second choice, and Tooie Mini-games would be third. Not either of them would be bad or unappreciated, I just like the core gameplay over anything else.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue May 05, 2015 5:03 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 5:06 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Tue May 05, 2015 5:15 am

Honestly, I hadn't considered a mission-style format akin to Conker, but that seems like an awesome idea! I can imagine playing some equivalent of capture the flag, deathmatch, and other modes that take place within modified versions of the worlds in the game, and it could have a lot of depth to it that keeps you engaged.

I'm sure other modes like the minigame mode in Banjo-Tooie would also be cool, "Mario Party"-esque additions as well. I don't see why they'd need to be mutually exclusive. I think we could have the best of both worlds.

As for how we'd play these mission-style modes, it would be cool to integrate transformations, moves you learn in the game, playable characters, and other features into how we go about accomplishing these missions. Just tons of variety in the gameplay to keep you invested would be something I would love to see in a multiplayer mode.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue May 05, 2015 5:23 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Tue May 05, 2015 5:43 am

It would be a dream come true if they managed to made 5 player multiplayer utilizing the wii U gamepad!

But, not keeping my hopes up.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue May 05, 2015 6:01 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue May 05, 2015 8:02 am

I liked Tooie's multiplayer, but I voted for DK64 arenas. I've recently picked up DK64 on the Wii U and have found the short 'Mario Party' games to be pretty fun.

I think the local multiplayer should be a mix between Banjo-Tooie, DK64 and Crash Bash.
Taylonic Ltd.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Tue May 05, 2015 11:27 am

honestly im hoping for all of the above!

it really depends on what kind of game play elements they incorporate into the game itself?

like for example: banjo-tooie had a FPS section in the main game & they added a multiplayer mode based off that (WITCH WAS SUPPER FUN! & honestly the kind of FPS kids SHOULD be playing not C.O.D.)

so depending on what they add to the main game? i'd like to multiplayer modes based off that & hopefully with online as well as off line play & CPU opponents for when you have no one to play with or want to add a CPU as the 4th player when you only have 3 friends playing or something like that maybe?

also my brother had a neat idea that i think would be cool!

1:a race like mode in sonic adventure 2 battle! 4players get to be different color yooka&laylees & they need to race through different parts of a level to get to the finish & can maybe add items & power ups as well to screw your friends over.

&2:a treasure hunting like mode also in sonic adventure 2 battle! this game is a collectathon platformer based on exploring so taking a part of a few good levels rework them for a multiplayer treasure hunt could be fun! once again we cant play as different color yooka&laylees & have to explore looking for treasure (maybe those signs with eyes in the kickstarter video can give hints like in SA2B?) & get power ups or items to mess with friends!

would both be fun game modes using the main gameplay as its base for multiplayer gameplay & i think it could work well for a game mode for this kind of game & of course any other kind of minigame or other gameplay elements like FPS could also work as good multipayer modes as well!

what do you guys think?

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue May 05, 2015 11:36 am

Mini games sound fun. I also liked the multiplayer in Conner. Anything with replay value is ok with me.

Vile Bile

Postby Vile Bile » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 pm

I did not know what to write here, so I wrote this.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 pm

I imagine that one will at least be like the DK64 arena, which I found fun. I just was playing that with a bunch of guys last year.

lebowski

Postby lebowski » Thu May 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Other - no multiplayer

I wouldn't mind if it was added late in development as an extra, like they did in goldeneye. But in my opinion main focus should be on singleplayer.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

selebu

Postby selebu » Thu May 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 pm

The Donkey Kong 64 multiplayer never really captivated me. I remember playing it a few times, but it was never really that notable for me.

Conker's Bad Fur Day's multiplayer, however, is one of my favorite multiplayer games of all time. These modes were humorous, diverse, and unique.

Really, the most disappointing thing about Conker: Live & Reloaded for me (even more than changing the the name from Conker: Live & Uncut and censoring the game) was that the classic multiplayer modes were gone. The Xbox game's multiplayer was fun, but nowhere near as special as the Nintendo 64 game's.

So I'm definitely hoping for unique, mission-based, maybe even asymmetric multiplayer.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”