Please layer in secrets.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
BIGZIPZ

Please layer in secrets.

Postby BIGZIPZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 pm

I would love to see secrets layered in such a way that, for example, in the starting area there is a section in plain view which you cannot get to until you learn a secret 15 hours later.

I love it in games when secrets are hidden in plain sight but for the life of you you just cannot figure out how to get to them

Daggerlike

Re: Please layer in secrets.

Postby Daggerlike » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Yeah dude! I want all the easter eggs and secrets! They definitely should do another mystery thing like stop 'n swap.

Captain Paul

Postby Captain Paul » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Backtracking usually gets a bad rap but going back to old levels with newly learnt abilities is really cool in these kinds of games. Mario 64 and, of course, banjo kazooie did this extremely well. More secrets like dragon kazooie would be cool too for those who explore to find them.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:17 pm

It was mentioned in the presentation that they want to include lots of things that may take months or even years to fully discover. I think there's a good chance there will be tons of hidden secrets and references -- I mean, these are the guys who came up with Stop 'N' Swop after all...
Taylonic Ltd.

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Yeah. I'm all for this. The best example that I instantly think of is the Click Clock Wood puzzle. It serves as both a head scratcher but also adds some great mystery and foreshadowing. It gives some tension and makes you curious for things to come. I think what was a misstep in DK64 was how huge chunks of the actual levels and collectibles required to progress were off limits even at the start and it made for a very unsatisfactory experience. You had to jump between levels all the time and it got confusing. I don't mind a secret or two or maybe one collectible being unreachable without having explored the rest of the game, but the actual levels, even the very first ones? No. What I love about Banjo-Kazooie is that with the exception of Gobi's Valley and Freezeezy Peak you could just pick it up and run through every world without thinking about breaking your immersion of that particular world to get a new skill for the sake of a jiggy. But the Sharkfood Island? The door in Gobi's Valley? The Ice Key? Those were great secrets hidden in plain sight, because they were essentially part of a bonus quest that came later on in the game. That's what I'd like to see.

Just don't put any arcade machines in there that forces you adapt to a completely different style of gameplay in order to pass to the final boss. That was just obnoxious. I love me some Donkey Kong and I love 3D platforming, but they are two very distinct things for different moods and mentalities and they don't make a good mix as obligatory obstacles in the main quest together.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:48 pm

yep, just like you guys said.It must have a lot of secrets!!!
Just like they said in the interview, "secrets that will remain months, or even years after release"!
Good job Playtonic!

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed May 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Random thought: I would love for every character in the game to have a secret idle animation. For example, Yooka could pull out some apples and start juggling until tossing them into Laylee's mouth. Just something interesting to watch, happening so infrequently that it takes months before they've all been discovered and leaked onto the internet.

It's like taking the concept of Banjo-Kazooie's file selection "fails", or Jamjars' "hit head on the way down" animation, to the next level and using it all over the game for some cool and unexpected surprises.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed May 06, 2015 5:08 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed May 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed May 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Make the forum great again.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed May 06, 2015 7:04 pm

As long as it works well, like in metroid prime.

lupaie

Postby lupaie » Wed May 06, 2015 7:32 pm

I loved the secrets in BK. BT was a little bit too complex for my taste.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 pm

What made banjo-kazooie and banjo-tooie stand out for me was the way the secrets kept lingering on in my mind for months, without the internet providing any answers whatsoever to the mysteries.

...probably because most of the secrets were never fully implemented (stop 'n swop) but yet... They continued to make me look for more, adding great atmosphere and replay value to seek every nook and cranny, every possible button combination in every place remotely off.

Rareware at that time kept the secret going at their "scribes" (former website Q&A) By providing vague answers to these secrets when inquired.

I loved it, only thing I didn't love was finding out they dropped the whole thing :/ it was never finished.

GTA V manages to do the same thing with the secret of mount Chilliad, since noone has found the jetpack yet.

Please playtonic, make the best hidden mystery of all time in this game, that keeps me exploring and investigating. A mystery so vast, it will make the whole game developers community regret their poorly hidden easter eggs.

I miss the days looking for a way to make the rusty bucket set sail once again, finding the lava world, opening the 2 big doors in gruntilda's lair, finding devil bottles and solve stop 'n swop... Not to forget DK64: finding out what the pillar was good for.

Ah... Memories!

Make it work and continue to inspire further exploration and take my money.
Stop picking your nose

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Stop picking your nose

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”