Exclusive games on consoles

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
polomi

Exclusive games on consoles

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 pm

I'm shocked by how many people ask for the game to be an exclusive for their favorite console. Or by how many people say "I'm OK if the game is multiplatform, but at least I want it on my favorite system". Just being OK with it is not enough in my opinion.

Why are you people fighting each other to get the game only on one console? Exclusives don't benefit you, not directly, not indirectly. They don't benefit Playtonic Games. They only benefit huge coroporations like Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony. These corporations take games as hostages on a system and prevent a large number of people from experiencing the fine games that developers make. Instead of quibbling about exclusives, we should unite to make the gaming world more open. These corporations go against our interests by making the gaming world a more closed place.

It would also take at least some creative control away from Playtonic. Remember what Nintendo made out of Dinosaur Planet? Remember how Kirkhope said that Nintendo was being a pain in the ass just because of how "thank you" sounded like "cupcake you"? That's the kind of things that Playtonic would have to suffer through.

I hope that Playtonic remain as independent and free as possible, and let as many people as possible enjoy their games.
Last edited by polomi on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Re: Exclusive games on consoles

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:09 pm

My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

hjort

Postby hjort » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm

I don't demand this game be exclusive to my platform of choice, and would like to see as many people as possible enjoy it, so I agree with you there, but in the case of Nintendo specifically, they don't treat their development partners or studios the way they did fifteen years ago, so making it sound like working under them would result in the same situations by default isn't a very good argument as far as I'm concerned.

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:23 pm

"Xbox literally murdered Rare and forced their children to watch."

Microsoft did that. Not Xbox players

Xbox players should not be punished for the mistakes of the evil corporation that makes their games 30% more expensive and forces them to pay for online multiplayer. And be the same logic, it was Nintendo who sold Rare to M$. But not gamers who play on Nintendo consoles

We are all fans of Rare here, and we should all want everyone else to be able to play and enjoy Playtonic's games.

"#1: A lot of people want this to be like the old N64 platformers by Rare.
#2: The old N64 platformers by Rare were only on the N64.
3#: The N64 was a Nintendo Console."

The old Rare games were on N64, and the new games should indedd be on the Wii U. But they should be on everything else as well. There is no reason to exclude enyone

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:25 pm

My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

hjort

Postby hjort » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:39 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:45 pm

hjort

Postby hjort » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 pm

A lot of people tend to ignore a very important piece of information regarding this. They act like Rare's only place is on Nintendo systems. You have to remember, a significant portion of Rare's history has been with Microsoft.

This statistic explains it the best: Rare's time as a second-party developer for Nintendo lasted 8 years(94-02). Their time as a first-party developer for Rare has lasted 12 full years and counting(02-present). Not only does that make me feel window cleaning old, it's also slightly depressing considering the connotations of Rare's MS years. It's not that sad when you think about it, Rare made some damn good games in the Microsoft years. It's big part of their history. Hell, going back to when Rare was third-party in the pre-DKC years, they even made a couple games for SEGA systems.

The point is, even though their golden years were on Nintendo systems, you can't act like that's the only part of their history. Ukulele should be on Wii U, but it shouldn't be exclusive to it.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Rare

Postby Rare » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:13 pm

I don't demand it be exclusive but I would love for it to be exclusive to Nintendo. That's where most of the fans are. Last I checked Xbox owners don't buy Rare games and I don't think Sony fans are thirsty for Rareware magic.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Why leave them in the dust? Especially the Xbone owners, as twelve years(and counting) of Rare's history has been with Microsoft. Besides, Viva Pinata and the XBLA ports of the Banjo games and Perfect Dark have sold well. Without the Kickstarter, I could understand Ukulele being exclusive to one system, but this is gonna be a successful Kickstarter, so you might as well reach the broadest audience possible.

hjort

Postby hjort » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:58 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:04 pm

A lot of people sayy that Xbox player don't want games like that, but that is simply not true. It is just that Microsoft does not privide them such games. From what I have heard, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie are still very popular on Xbox Live Arcade. Xbox players may be me dismissed as dudebros/fartboys by many peope, but it seems to that lots of them enjoyed Rayman Lgeneds and Ori just recently.

And even if just 1% of them likes 3D platformes, it would be shame not to let them sexperience this game. And I am saying this is someone who would never buy an Xbox in my life. I have no stake in an Xbox release at all, other than basic goodwill toward my fellow gamers regardless of what they game on.

As for the Playstation and PC gamers, there is no question they want 3D platformers. The succes of the Hat in Time and Lobodestroyo Kickstarters means there is a huge demand for a Rare-like game on PC. And PC has always been home for indie developers who like to go against the current trends and cliches. And a Pc release means the game is future-proof. Xou will probably be able to play it on your PC 10 or 20 years from now too. Andy maybe the community will keep making mods for it so it will still look incredible. (Although this kind of style ages very well regardless...)

And the Playstation was always home to 3d platforners, with the Spyro games probably being their closest counterpart to the N64 collechathons as far as my PS knowledge goes. And now that Sony is focusing more on more cinematic games, they are even more thirsty for a game like this. And they are the only platform who never had a Rare game ever bofre, so this mistake must be fixed immmedeiatly :)

And to Wii U gamers: Let's not forget that if the game is released on everything, you will still have an exclusive feature, the Amiibos, if the developers manage to include that feature. I know many of you feel that a Nintendo exclusivity would somehow "feel right", tradition alone is never a good reason to do anything. Especially when that thing is exclusing 75% of gamers from something that you enjoy. We should all strive to share the joy of 3D platformers with ay many peope as possible.

And just look at all the gamers here who are asking for the game on PC, PS or Xbox on this very forum. These people were here within a day of the forum's opening(many withing hours), followed the developers on Tiwtter, and many of them watched the EGX Rezzed discussion live. They are just as much fans of Rare as you Wii U gamers. And it would be a shame to exclude them

And exclusivities usually lead to less creative freedom. The Nintendo of today would never allow a game like Conker to be made( it barely allowed them at the time, and would not give them a second chance after it did not make that much money) And the world would be a worse place without risky games like Conker.

Exclusivity is a toxic trend in the video game industry. I know some Wi U gamers feel neglected by big third party publishers and would like a trump card against other platforms. But we should never fight exclusivity with exclusivity, because an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

The right way to figth exclusivity is by making a multiplatform game that is better than any exclusive. And if anyone can do that, it is Playtonic.
Last edited by Ikunuku on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”