Modding

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
BanjosBack

Modding

Postby BanjosBack » Fri May 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Would it be possible to mod Yooka Laylee say..a simple mod..Like re-modeling and skinning the main characters into other animals such as sayyyyyy..

A bear and bird? :)

Yavga

Re: Modding

Postby Yavga » Fri May 29, 2015 8:46 pm

I guess anything will be possible, the question is to what lengths would people want to go to alter the game?

Games like Skyrim are very mod friendly, I guess YL will be less mod-friendly. But there is always the possibility someone steps in and designs a framework for modders to work with.

We'll have to see when the game releases how much of a mod-scene we'll get :)
Stop picking your nose

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sat May 30, 2015 3:49 am

One thing I'm sure modders will do is put fan-arranged N64 versions of the music in. Someone could also maybe do recolors of the main duo, or throw some shorts on Yooka for laughs!
you kuh lady

xiriusnoodles

Postby xiriusnoodles » Sat May 30, 2015 5:20 pm

It's a game made using Unity3D engine, so if they really wanted to, Playtonic could release the project files used to create the game and let modders go nuts.

Unfortunately, this is basically an invitation for unsavory individuals to pawn off Yooka-Laylee as their own, so the dev team would probably code some modding tools to import assets and other things during runtime. Fortunately, there is a plug-in called "JSON.NET for Unity" that allows every "scene" (what you would call a level in Unity 3D) to be serialized in an easy to understand language called JSON. From there, a modder could insert their own files into the game's directory and edit the JSON files so that they can use these new models and textures.

Also, Playtonic's dev team could write a tool that allows editing of JSON files while the game is running, using this framework. As for mods that include new logic for original enemies or scripted events, I'm not too sure about that. Someone with more experience in Unity3D could probably answer that.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat May 30, 2015 6:49 pm

I never knew... You seem quite knowledgable about this subject.

Now I wonder... So basically one is able to easily reverse-engineer the whole game back to the beginning. Meaning we can have an semi open-source game all because it it made in unity?

How much freedom does unity offer script wise?
Stop picking your nose

Elsdrake

Postby Elsdrake » Sat May 30, 2015 9:44 pm

might happen on PC

tough i see no reason to why mod the game

xiriusnoodles

Postby xiriusnoodles » Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 pm

xiriusnoodles

Postby xiriusnoodles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Thought this would be interesting, for those who wonder about Unity3D and modding.

This video demonstrates an easy way to introduce modding in a Unity3D project by using the Managed Extension Framework to introduce new logic and the Runtime Model Importer plugin to bring in new models. One drawback is that the Runtime Model Importer appears to be broken in recent updates, and the publisher of that plugin is unresponsive.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”