A hat in time (Hat kid?) cameo?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Mathouwa

A hat in time (Hat kid?) cameo?

Postby Mathouwa » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:03 am

hello everyone! So yeah, I was recently watching some streamers play A hat in time and since A hat in time and project ukulele are 3D platformers/collectathon and Gears for Breakfast and Playtonic share a friendly bound... i guess (in the only conversation that i saw between these two on twitter, they both said they were looking foward to play each other's games,) i think it would be awesome if, for example, A hat in time had a cameo of Project ukulele in it and Project ukulele had a cameo of A hat in time.

I don't know how these things work or how much effort it takes to do that but i think it would be really funny if, for example, you find a secret room in project ukulele and inside the room, there's a mafia dude complaining about how he failed to collect the toll from hat kid and how he landed there or something... :p

So that's my idea, what you guys think about it?

sorry for my bad english, have a good day! :)

Trixcalechat

Re: A hat in time (Hat kid?) cameo?

Postby Trixcalechat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Oh god, it's a very good idea ! Hat n Time is an awesome 3d plateformer game !
#UkuleleForWiiU

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:03 pm

I honestly would be surprised if Hat Kid doesn't make a cameo, considering the fact both games currently share Grant Kirkhope as a composer. and there's also .

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Great idea!
Kinda like how Mario World had a Sonic cameo.
Or when Mac had that Windows cameo.
Or when that journalist had a cameo in the ISIS video.
My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 am

I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:14 am

No progress in A Hat in Time? Have you watched footage of the beta version already? This game looks, sounds & plays GORGEOUS! And don't compare it to the Mac version - they are mainly focusing on the PC version first. A Hat in Time has so much potential. One has really have to play the beta to judge about this game. Don't forget that its an indie game with huge ambitions. And because of the massive scale, the team got far more work to do than the ones who are developing pixel-art-games.

I think it would be great & deserved to sneak in a cameo in some way. Since both studios aren't bound to a bigger publisher, they could easily do it if they want to.

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 am

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 am

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 am

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 am

I dont know about this ... only because its a collectathon and grant kirkhope composed a instrumental for the game it doesnt need to have a cameo in project ukulele. Project ukulele should stay original, because I dont see another connection why all those indie games should have a cameo ? But its only my opinion.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:51 am

I would rather they not. They're already building a big universe, and to be honest A Hat in Time is nothing like Banjo Kazooie. I know AHIT is trying to ride Banjo's coat-tails but they've missed everything that made Banjo be Banjo.
Make the forum great again.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:00 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:41 pm

Tarzerix

Postby Tarzerix » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Why the need for all these cameos and stuff?? Jon Tron, Hat in Time, Kickstarter backers etc...I don't really get it. Its nice that they care so much for their fans and community, but personally i'd rather want to explore a fresh and new world without the need of tipped hats at every corner and only referring to creations within their own universe. I enjoyed that in their old games. What has a hat in time to do with ukulele? Grant composed music for quite a lot of games...so?

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 pm

No. As great as it would be for two indie games to give each other exposure via some cross-promotion, I wouldn't want this. Lobo is the only one I'd be kinda okay with, but that's because that game is so Rare-inspired in not just the gameplay, but also the character design. A Hat in Time's character designs are far more Nintendo-inspired, as is the whole game.

If Ukulele is to cross over with another franchise, it has to be Banjo, Donkey Kong, or Conker. Anything else would just be off-putting for me.

Mathouwa

Postby Mathouwa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:23 pm

i have to agree with most of you, it would be annoying to find cameos every in corners.
i also understand that some of you dosen't like AHiT :p
I think if they put cameos of games like that, it would need to be very subtle or really hard to find so not everyone runs into it. the best that could happen in my opinion is if 2 friends talk about ukulele, they say stuff like '' i found a cameo of ________, its when _________ say ___________'' ''oh i never noticed that!'' . and thats all. I think everyone agree if i say that cameos should not collectibles in terms of number :)

Chruxl

Postby Chruxl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 am

This is obviously a touchy subject. On one hand it's possible for games (especially indie games) to promote each other in a fun way. There are good and bad examples a plenty. Personally, I think something small like a poster of Hat Kid might be okay, sort of how there were Perfect Dark posters in Goggles and Speccy's rooms.

Where actual cameos help most are in the Indie realm. So a Lobodestroyo cameo in A Hat in Time and vice versa could be good exposure for both if done well. Also, obviously, cameos in Playtonic games are mostly between characters in a larger universe. Main characters in this game could cameo in the next game.

I also agree with others in this thread in that if they start cameoing A Hat in Time, why not Lobodestroyo? Why not Clive? Where is the line in the sand?

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”