Could Yooka-Laylee finally beat Donkey Kong 64's record (please)?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Lugbzurg

Could Yooka-Laylee finally beat Donkey Kong 64's record (please)?

Postby Lugbzurg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:01 pm

So, Donkey Kong 64 has long since been known to possess the largest amount of objects to collect in videogame history. In which case, I would like to state that I would be completely fine with Yooka-Laylee having even more objects to collect than Donkey Kong 64 and would even encourage this.

The main issue with DK64 was that you had to constantly switch characters and backtrack, since several objects were color-coded to specific kongs, so... Lanky Kong can't pick up that red banana even though it's RIGHT THERE AND HE CAN TOUCH IT!!! With Yooka-Laylee, I highly suspect this wouldn't be an issue. (Correct?) As such, I would be very, VERY happy if Yooka-Laylee held such a gargantuan amount of objects to collect that it even surpasses Donkey Kong 64 in this regard.

If the plan happens to have its cards on the table by any chance, then... I would fully support this collect-o-thon player's dream!

Scraps69

Re: Could Yooka-Laylee finally beat Donkey Kong 64's record (please)?

Postby Scraps69 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Just... No...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 pm

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Less is often more.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:52 pm

They've already said no. So no.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Flooding the game with thousands of collectibles won't make it better; you'd just end up with loads of clutter all over the place that serves to challenge whatsoever. It's just tedious to run over every square inch of a map.

Playtonic will use collectibles in intelligent and interesting ways. Quality is better than quantity.
Taylonic Ltd.

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:32 pm

The main problem I disliked about the collectibles in DK64 is they felt all the same. Hit this switch to open this thing and touch a barrel to play a minigame. Now the mini games were not bad themselves but the fact they got recycled was lame. In the banjo games all the collectibles were different and all their own. I'd rather have enough that it feels like a lot but not so much that the creative juices stop flowing and they start repeating ideas.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:23 am

I think that's a good point: That the problem is not because of having so much, but rather on how you get them. DK64 did a poor job on that, causing so much backtrack and all.
I still loved DK64 though because I was a huge fan of exploration and the music.

I don't know if I want so much to collect in order to progress, but it can promote exploration to have more items though.. If they put so much, maybe make it more optional and not handle that the same way as DK64.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Pearcinator

Postby Pearcinator » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:49 am

There's a reason why DK64 is regarded as the weakest of Rare's N53 platformers. It went overboard with the collectables. Like REALLY overboard. I actually like Dk64 but it's definitely more grindy than the Banjo games.

I think it goes like this;

Banjo-Kazooie was great but was too short and could have used some more collectables.

DK64 is pretty good but went overboard with the collectables. It was too overwhelming.

Banjo-Tooie was fantastic because it had the right amount of collectables and each puzzle piece had variety.

I admit that Banjo-Tooie had a few too many mini-games but honestly, there were for the most part fun and did not have many duds. I actually enjoyed the FPS ones and also liked the backtracking. Made everything feel connected and part of one big, crazy world.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:46 am

I don't think you realize what that would look like. The only way DK 64 justified so many was the different characters. Since YL only has the duo, it would not make sense to have all this hundreds of things in one stage

twinspectre

Postby twinspectre » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:48 pm

I have no problem having a looooooot of collecting stuff :)
in my opinion it will increase the longevity
can't wait for Yooka Laylee (PS4) :geek: :D :lol:

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:12 pm

It was fun using different Kong's sure, but retracing steps, wasn't always. I think as long as it's fun and exciting, there isn't really ever too many collectibles, but if they are just placed because the character needs to collect something, then it probably isn't a good thing. There needs to be a fun, exciting end goal. E.g. you collect notes, you go through a note door, rather than you can collect the yellow bananas, but not those invisible red ones you'll have to travel 30 miles back for with Diddy Kong. I still loved DK64 though! It didn't really bother me as much as it probably did with others. Some of the minigames bothered me. The one you shoot kremlings that the lighting changes in was terrible, I had to pause the game to trick the framerate in order to finish it :cry:
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”