Laylee's Big Red Nose

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Do you like it?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 95

rocho

Re: Laylee's Big Red Nose

Postby rocho » Fri May 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah I guess it's very soon to judge the game already, the question came to me as they already shown some high quality artwork of the characters, I guess I can still change through the development

Sas87

Laylee's Nose to big?

Postby Sas87 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 am

Iam i the only one who thinks the nose is to big? Me, some friends and some people on the web complaint about that thing,..
Just make the nose a little bit smaller and everyone is happy, laylee would still looking cute ;) And yooka could wear some cool clothes, like a shirt, t-shirt, hoody or something,... Or laylee with some sunglasses! are there any other ideas out there? ;)

Taylor

Re: Laylee's Nose to big?

Postby Taylor » Tue May 24, 2016 3:33 am

Quite a few people were surprised at its size to begin with, but I think we've all grown to it. I like the characters exactly how they are; in fact, if they were to change, I would probably feel as if they were not the same Yooka and Laylee that I have come to love.

As for clothes/accessories -- again, I don't think they need them. But I think it would be nice to have a cheat code or some way to unlock secret clothes. In Banjo-Kazooie it was possible to use cheats to get a big head etc. but I never really found that very interesting; secret clothes would be a bit cooler. Although the best cheat would be to play as an entirely different character altogether, a bit like the washing machine code in Banjo.

Maybe if you play the game during Christmas, you could unlock the Christmas suit that Playtonic posted last year:

Taylonic Ltd.

rocho

Postby rocho » Tue May 24, 2016 4:33 am

I remember there is already a topic about this buried somewhere...

They look just fine to me as they are right now. No plastic surgery needed.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 24, 2016 5:57 am

Troll much?
Stop picking your nose

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue May 24, 2016 5:58 am

If Laylee's nose was smaller, or if Yooka wore clothes, there would be no reason to poke fun at the main characters, and no chance for some self-deprecating humour, which is what Rare and Playtonic are very good at, as shown in Banjo and Conker, and in many of Playtonic's tweets and news updates.

The character design is weird, and that will make for some good humour in the end, which is what Rare was very good at in their games.
If Yooka wore clothes or Laylee had a smaller nose, there will be missed opportunities to make fun of their appearances and personalities, which is what the Banjo games and Conker also did, and that helped the tone, style and personality in those games.

I might add that Playtonic is fully aware how we feel about Yooka's nudeness and Laylee's big nose, and believe me, they're going to take advantage of that reception for some good comedy.

The designs are fine. ;)

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue May 24, 2016 6:00 am

A bit of digging later: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1046

Also, regarding Yooka and clothing: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1118&hilit=nose

Old topics are *old*, so probably avoid posting in them and bringing them back to the surface, but feel free to read through them and see how the discussions went at the time.

Sas87

Postby Sas87 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 am

Ok,i think i have to live with that,.. Jokes were also possible with an outfit like this,...http://m.imgur.com/IU4A7I9?r ,.. Naaah, just a wish :)

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 pm

At first I thought this thread was bumped.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue May 24, 2016 3:05 pm

It's not Laylee's huge nose that bothers me, it's her lack of texturing. It's the same with Yooka. You have these big, beautiful, detailed worlds, but running around them are two models that consist of only a few colors. It makes the game look kind of cheap to me. Hopefully they look better when you're actually playing the game.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 pm

A large amount of people complained about the nose at the start of the whole campaign but they never reduced or changed it so i guess Steve Mayles is standing by his design.

Sas87

Postby Sas87 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:59 pm

(Sry for my bad english, iam from Germany)

I think the point is, sure most people like the nose, but they can live good with a smaller nose, too.
On the other hand, people who doesnt like the nose, have problems to like Laylee,.... I think a smaller normal looking nose is the better choice to reach all people :geek:

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue May 24, 2016 5:56 pm

NOTE: I've merged the two nose topics together. Making a new topic when an identical (but admittedly very old) topic already exists isn't good, but bumping the old one as well with the same post is really not acceptable.

P.S. ignore this post -- continue talking about Laylee's nose, or don't reply at all and let the topic sink into the archives. It's always best to stay out of topics you disagree with if you want them to die.
(On that note, I'm staying out of here).
Taylonic Ltd.

Sas87

Postby Sas87 » Tue May 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Ok,just a final strike to reach more people :D its almost 60/40 a smaller nose and everyone is happy, all who signt for "yes" could live with a smaller one, but all the others will find laylee ugly ,...

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue May 24, 2016 9:03 pm

I think Laylee's adorable, hee hee. :lol:

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:26 pm

I think it's an intregal part of the character and a perfect sense of charm and orginality. A more conventional studio would have a more conventional nose.

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Tue May 24, 2016 10:45 pm

I think the big nose is quite charming, myself. But hey, I'm all about body positivity. :D

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed May 25, 2016 9:48 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed May 25, 2016 12:19 pm

If the nose was my biggest problem, this game would still be my favourite KS ever.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Wed May 25, 2016 3:02 pm

The amount of body shaming in this thread. Hoo boy. People have their faces and lives destroyed because of this nonsense.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”