Edge magazine material analytics

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Edge magazine material analytics

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 11:18 am

Edge magazine brought out a load of new info!
I think it's good to create a seperate topic for it to keep the forum topics tidy.

What did you guys discover so far? Theorize!
Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Re: Edge magazine material analytics

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 11:24 am

Haven't seen the info yet :(

Links, screen caps, or place where I can purchase a digital version?

Edit: I got the issue by downloading the app, starting the "free" trial which requires you to agree to a 1-month minimum subscription when it runs out, then going into the apps settings and canceling the subscription.
Last edited by dotEXE on Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 11:25 am

Stop picking your nose

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 11:28 am

Summary:

Begin in large hub area aboard a pirate ship that has become Yooka and Laylee's adopted home. It has 'Bat Ship Crazy' painted across it.

Butterflies: Eat with Yooka's tongue for health, or collect to refill your power meter. Yooka's roll uses up the power meter... i.e. you can't roll forever like with Kazooie's Talon Trot.

200 quills are scattered across the world, spread across race circuits and along minecart tracks etc.

'Tokens' (Playtonic Coins?) unlock 8 multiplayer arcade games. Once unlocked they can be accessed from main menu and support up to 4 players.

Play Tonics must be earned by achievement-style challenges (e.g. kill 100 baddies); They are optional, so apparently not integral to completing the game. One reduces the power consumption of Yooka's roll, another lets you collect distant quills with Yooka's tongue etc.

Ghost Writers: they all behave differently. One hides, one attacks you, one needs to be chased and caught etc.

Unlocking a world gives you a free move from Trowzer; you can also buy additional moves via quills.

Tribalstack Tropics
(Jungle opening area: I'm unsure if this is the hub area with the pirate ship; the article was a tiny bit unclear)

Transformation is a plant that lets you speak to flora that otherwise ignore you.

Spitting a 'Splash Berry' at a rain cloud creates a waterfall that fills the riverbed below, thus opening new areas. Spitting a 'Frost Berry' will freeze the river and create a racecourse across the ice.

Laylee's sonar blast move triggers invisible platforms to reach to areas.
Taylonic Ltd.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu May 26, 2016 11:31 am

*First Screenshot at the top right*
*Compares Nuts and Bolts Nutty Acres Screenshot*
Vehicles confirmed.
Last edited by WyvernWings on Thu May 26, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 11:48 am

Finished reading it but I'll need a couple times over. I'll reflect on it once I get to work, but for the last two paragraphs I'M SORRY PLAYTONIC D: sorry you have to do these announcements but we just love you too much :'( it's like Christmas every time we get a new snippet of info, even if it's like "quills exist the end".

Thanks for putting up with your (possibly overzealous) fans!!!

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am

Is the only way to actually see/read to purchase/subscribe to the magazine? Is there a website online with the current issue? I don't really want to subscribe to a magazine if only one featured article is all I care about. Any guidance would be appreciated :)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 11:55 am

Taylonic Ltd.

AndyR
Site Admin

Postby AndyR » Thu May 26, 2016 12:04 pm

The single issue is available for £3.99 on iPhone or iPad.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 12:07 pm

I was able to get the issue as my free trial on iPhone, I just canceled the subscription they have you set up after I downloaded it. Forcing subscription before the trial is a bit dated, but you can make it work.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu May 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Not really sure if I want to read it... I don't want to be spoiled. Sigh.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 12:15 pm

It's super tasty though. Like, such delicious new details. And a bunch of pictures of new characters! And some concept art that we're not sure if it'll be in the end game. There was a slot machine named Bandit (one-armed bandit) and like a refrigerator lady.

You know you want to.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 pm

I must say that I'm incredibly satisfied by seeing googley eyes on these floating rings and Yooka & Laylee's first transformation. That's the sh*t! Also, love that they're indeed combining both characters for their transformations. Not seeing what's going on with Kazooie was something that somehow bugged me in the Banjo games. Here's hoping for Sharka-Raylee!
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I noticed those eyes on the ring too! That's amazing!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm

Noone talked about the piece they wrote about speedrunning.

In short, Mayles really loves the way people do speedruns by even abusing bugs or glitches to cut off every second that counts. He wants to incorporate a method to facilitate this... In a certain way. (Dont think they will actually do bugs on purpose)
Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 1:27 pm

They said they're looking at a New Game+ where you start the game over but maintain all your moves, this would allow unintended shortcuts through early parts of the game, and also faster movement off the bat (heh) via flying and rolling.

Something I liked was the new full-bodied pictures of Dr. Quack and Dr. Puzz. Dr. Puzz looks WAAAAAAAAY less awkward with the new shot showing the full body. I thought she was just a tiny head with octo-limbs, but the full torso looks more natural (she's a squid now, she's a kid now). Also Dr. Quack's exo-suit is ... a gumball machine on wheels? lmao

Edit: Also, "Lady Leap-A-Lot, one of the Knights of Hamelot". Medieval castle area confirmed?

Edit 2: I think I'll have to play this at least 3 different ways. Once where I 100% a world the first time I enter it, once where I minimum% each world as I go along, and once in New Game+. And then a hundred more times, probably where I 100% worlds as I go along.

Edit 3: My biggest unanswered question - is there a song and dance when you collect a pagie? Oh please oh please oh please oh please.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu May 26, 2016 2:12 pm

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Thu May 26, 2016 2:14 pm

"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:44 pm

I can't even get the issue because I only have $.85 left in my App Store credit, which isn't even enough to get subscription, which is required to get a free trial.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Just send me a pm with your e-mail, I'll gladly help you all out.
Stop picking your nose

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”