Playtonic's next project

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Xellos

Re: Playtonic's next project

Postby Xellos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:24 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:11 pm

They need an established line up before they do a Kart Racer. I'd say do 2ka-Laylee or a 2D platformer starring someone else.

Don't forget this team had nothing to do with cbfd or perfect dark so a spiritual successor to these isn't likely.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:45 pm

I pledged this first project because a revival of "collectathon" 3D platformers was something I really hankered after for years, and I feared there would be no one in the industry to finance it. We'll see if they were wrong or right.

But for fresh projects, hey, make your business plan targeted at more conventional stakeholders.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:22 pm

What if they did a game that was totally unrelated to any genres they've worked on previously? That'd be wild, and I'm not sure it's something any Playtonic fan is expecting.

I personally voted for a 2D platformer or Cart Racer next, but I would totally understand if the next thing they said was "our next game is a totally unique venture using <character list> from Yooka-Laylee. We want to do this so we're not spiritually succeeding every RARE game for the rest of our careers."

YL makes a lot of sense, but it would also make sense if they don't want to live in a shadow and be RARE2.0 forever. Even being the Better Brother to RARE is different from standing on your own.
Make the forum great again.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 pm

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:42 am

djfuts

Postby djfuts » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:54 am

A diddy kong racing successor would be ace! loved that game esp the adventure mode, you just know these guys would make an ace job of of too! Yooka Laylee Racing has to happen!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:22 am

I mean, it doesn't have to be a 1:1 spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing. Just like Yooka-Laylee, I expect a proper evolution of their vision of a fun racer. The only thing I would like to insist on is the three types of vehicles (karts, hovercrafts, planes) in some way and an adventure mode with an overworld. Everything else, like the controls (oh they better make the controls better :mrgreen: ) and the gameplay can vary and evolve to whatever they like to. Oh, but the upgradable-item system was pretty genius as well.

Rareware/Playtonic were/are probably the only ones that can deliver an experience on the same or higher (high) level of a Mario Kart. And the DKR formula deserves a proper evolution. Who will do that, if not Playtonic? Who knows, maybe they even gain Nintendo's trust to directly do a DKR sequel with Nintendo / Playtonic characters instead of Banjo and Conker (whenever that will be, that is). I would love that.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:34 pm

I suspect the company will want to diversify and do something totally unrelated to platforming for a second game.

Maybe a Killer Instinct-type fighter?

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Well, this will be likely just a joke, but Playtonic and Retro games just answered a fans Question about an DK64 Successor :D

I wouldn´t mind if Playtonic is going to make someday a new Donkey Kong game. ^^

---
Source: https://twitter.com/RetroStudios/status ... 3559454721
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 pm

keyboard_tapper

Postby keyboard_tapper » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 pm

awesome meter is up to the sky :D

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:54 pm

"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Thought I'd revive this topic to say one game I'd love to see come to fuition: a variation/spiritual successor to Dinosaur Planet, one of Rare's greatest lost gems.
I'm playing through Star Fox Adventures at the moment, and as much as I like it, I get sadder the more I play it knowing what it was going to be before Miyamoto came in and botched it just because of a few similarities between the protagonist and Fox.
Watching the pre-release footage, reading the condensed story on MundoRare and listening to all the voice acting from Dinosaur Planet hinted at just how interesting it would have been. It's the strongest written story I've heard from Rare and it kills me to know I'll never experience the original game as intended.

So, I'd like to see a similar kind of idea from Playtonic. I don't know what things to change to avoid infringement or whatever but, yeah...
___

On that note, Kyte would have been my favourite character. If you know the original story, Kyte's tale would have been very bittersweet.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 am

I'd say the next logical step, after a Banjo-Kazooie inspired game would be a Donkey Kong Country inspired game, but then again, it's not like people are begging for that kind of game the way they were a 3D platformer collect-a-thon (thank you Retro Studios)... Perhaps a raunchy 3D platformer like Conkey's Bad Fur Day? Or a racing game like Diddy Kong Racing? How about a first-person shooter stealth game like Perfect Dark? Maybe a fighting game like Killer Instinct? Maybe something totally off-the-walls crazy like Blast Corps?

Personally, I'd like to see a Diddy Kong Racing or Blast Corps kind of game the most!
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

ericcole_hn

Postby ericcole_hn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:41 pm

1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong 64
3. Sequel Yooka-Laylee

Return to “Community Discussion”