Interiors: Dr Puzz/Trowzer Building?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Re: Interiors: Dr Puzz/Trowzer Building?

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:37 pm

We're just talking. We already know the devs will do what they want in the end, and that they look at feedback from places besides just the forums (if at all). It's just something to talk about while we pass the time until Q1 2017.
Make the forum great again.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Yeah, I mean Dr. Puzz seems, the first transformation looks great; really there is something nice about being able to transform so quickly.
This game is going to have to find its own balance between streamlined/modern gameplay, and the more clunky but kitschy style of N64 classics.

But reoccurring NPC buildings goes back to the DKC games. There is a carnivalesque charm to seeing the cast has set up shop in each world you visit!

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:49 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:59 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 pm

Exascryz has good points.

Dr Puzz might have to stay by her little lab set-up for... urm. Sciencey reasons. But Trowzer does actually seem a bit out of place -- what does he do all day? Terrible salesman if he just waits in a hidden corner for you; his only customer.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:23 am

Stop picking your nose

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 am

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:47 pm

(Everyone keeps using a c instead of a k. I have a nice big signature of just my name, you can't miss it, can you? :lol: )

But thanks to everyone for agreeing with my late night rambling points.

As for Trowser moving around, I'm not too certain I'd like that, if we wanted to visit him multiple times in a level. If the worlds are too expansive, it may get tedious to find him. I'm sure it could be done well, to fit him being a traveling salesnake.

There'd also be a question of RNG limiting speed runs if he has random spawn points or randomly roams the world.

And if his role is like Bottles, it may not be a good idea to have the move teacher running around the world. When you first learn how to take on the property of something you lick, it'd be nice if there was something nearby to try it out on as soon as you learned the move. It's good game design.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:29 am

The bush that Trowzer would reside in could easily be made to stand out with certain designs and colours.
When you stand next to the Bush and press a button, out he shuffles. Much like bottles would wriggle out of his mole hill.

Dr. Puzz could be in a pop-up laboratory ( like how DK64 houses would pop up) and it design would consist of glass tubes filled with different coloured liquids. Bunsen burners. Test tubes with bubbling potions etc. On the walls for decoration could be past (failed) experiments.

What other NPCs need homes? I'm feeling creative...

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:14 pm

This was also the one thing that kind of bothered me while watching the trailers. I'm not totally turned off by it, but it did catch my eye and made me think.

People who like it claim that they'd prefer the characters out in the open because they'd like to avoid unnecessary loading screens while entering/exiting the characters' shelters. This totally makes sense. But personally, I'd prefer if Dr. Puzz, Trowser, and some other NPCs (like Kartos, maybe?) had shelters. Being out in the open world just seems... out of place. Somehow.

To me, the solution is this: Give the character's their shelters, but make them accessible without the loading screens. Being in or near the shelters causes the music to change to that particular character's music. I always liked walkign into Mumbo's Hut or Funky Kong's Ammo Shop and hearing the music while talking to that character. It really adds to the character's personality and story.

TROWZER:
Could have a plywood stand or kiosk or something that he sits behind, with a sign and counter and everything. It could look like something he hurriedly set up in a temporary location to go with the whole "travelling salesman" idea.

DR. PUZZ:
A tarp or tent spread over a metal pole frame like something a scientist or researcher would set up in the wild. I side is her transformation machine and table with books and test tubes and other decorative contraptions.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 pm

In general, comfy interiors are incredibly important to me. Not just with major characters, but with small sidequests like the tiptup school, or the shell's interior in Treasure Trove. The music fading into it's echoey cave variation, the shrinking/increasing jiggy logo transition effect, the hidden nooks and crannies and the wonder--it's all essential to the banjo feel. I hope that's not forgotten.

The loading screen excuse is pretty poor imo. Its always been a brief pause; a moment to gather your thoughts and keep tabs on your mental to-do list at worst. It's nowhere near long enough to excuse the absence of interiors loaded with charm and character.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 pm

I believe with confidence that playtonic will listen to everybody in this thread and create recognisable homes for the NPCs.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:04 am

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 am

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Both of those are true. He's not in there, and then the shell coils the wrong way as well.

As far as loading screens for the interiors, I think it would be worthwhile. How long would the load really be? They might even be able to pull some magic (keep the outer world loaded?) while you're inside to avoid a long load time when you leave the interiors.
Make the forum great again.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”