Should the toybox be made available once the game has been released?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 43

iggy

Postby iggy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Just a quick thought I had while watching the IGN footage of the toybox ()

It doesn't make much of a difference to me (I backed at the toybox tier), but I think it'd be nice to make the toybox available (either as is- separate from the game or perhaps as a hidden bonus area to find in the game, like the Insomniac Museum in Ratchet & Clank) for non-backers/non-toybox-tier-backers once the game has been released and toybox-tier-backers have already had their exclusive early toybox experience.

What do you think?

*Edited the question from "Include the toybox as a hidden bonus area in the game?"
Last edited by iggy on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taylor

Re: Include the toybox as a hidden bonus area in the game?

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 pm

I voted no.

It wouldn't bother me either way, but technically in a very strict sense, including the Toy Box in the final game would be a bit unfair to those who backed the project for the privilege to play it.

I'd be in favour of including super secret areas though for sure. Maybe the original Jungle World, or the test levels that Chris Sutherland used to test the various moves etc. -- little things (or maybe big things) that can be discovered after months or years of playing. Or until some naughty fellow hacks the game and finds it.
Taylonic Ltd.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:04 am

I've been thinking the same thing lately, too. I don't think it'd be unfair for backers because the main reason we pledged for the Toybox was to play some of the game before it came out. We're going to have a good half a year or so to play it before anyone else does, so I think it's perfectly fair. :D It'd also be weird to leave out something that probably had at least a couple weeks of development time.

karashata

Postby karashata » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:37 am

I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't include the toybox demo as part of the final game.

However, I would be perfectly alright with them making the demo available separately, either for free or for a small price, after the final game is released, possibly as a way of promoting the game, and to give people who might not be as into 3D platformers as most of us here are a chance to see what the game is like before committing to the full game.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 am

If I didn't back it, I wouldn't care either way if the final game got released. The Toy Box will be great for the waiting period, but it won't be as interesting when embedded in the full game.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:56 pm

I voted yes even though I backed some additional money specifically for the Toybox. The Insomniac Museum hidden in Ratchet and Clank 2 (and then less-hidden in subsequent games) was one of my favorite easter eggs. A lot like when there's a Developer Commentary version of a game you can play through. I love seeing the little test areas and the process of developing the game and I want others to experience those inside peeks too. I guess in terms of "fairness" it would be best if they hid a bunch of test areas other than the Toybox, but I wouldn't exactly be upset if they hid the entire Toybox along with other test stuff.
Make the forum great again.

iggy

Postby iggy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Interesting results and some good points made!

I didn't think of just making the toybox available as is (separate from the game) and using it as a demo or making it available for a small price, both of which are good ideas.

Perhaps a better question is should the toybox be made available once the game has been released?

Meinhard1

Re: Should the toybox be made available once the game has been released?

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:21 pm

As many have said -- the point of the toybox is for backers to get a feel for the game early.

Based in their statement, including it in the final game build would be both a) unnecessary and b) not a betrayal of Kickstarter backers.

But I would argue that it has value purely as an Easter egg for future generations of players. If they included a cheat code to access it, in game there would be no harm done.
If Banjo had an equivalent, I'd want to play it as a fan of the game, even-although it would be uneccessary and completely axillary to the actual game content.

BanjoThreeie

Re: Should the toybox be made available once the game has been released?

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 am

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:43 pm

you kuh lady

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”