Rolling on water?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TreeInT'Mornin'

Rolling on water?

Postby TreeInT'Mornin' » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:01 am

Okay, this is a gameplay mechanic/ability suggestion that may require some changes to level design(mostly water levels as you may guess) and such IF (now isn't that a big if?) it were to be implemented.
Now the idea is simple, and inspired by what I assume to be a graphical glitch that I encountered and then couldn't replicate. It looked as if I was performing the Reptile Roll (the curling into a ball move, whatever you wanna call it) over the water, a la the jester's cap power-up in Billy Hatcher. Now this immediately got me thinking, as the body of water I encountered this in (the first one, where you can swim through the tunnel to the bridge area) I entered through one of two ramps leading into it, and that would be a sensible balancing or limiting factor for such an ability- dropping into the water in ball form would be no good, you'd have to gently lower yourself onto it through some form of ramp.
Now potential advantages of this could be faster traversing of watery areas, ignoring any underwater currents (only while on the surface, however) and perhaps allowing you to avoid some water based hazards (like really cold or hot water, or giving you a fighting chance at avoiding sharks that would definitely catch you otherwise, or something like that). It would have its drawbacks however, have all the same precision problems as it does on land, perhaps even exacerbated and (of course) requires ramps and water. Not to mention that if this ability seems a tad problematic to balance, it could be made one of the PlayTonic abilities- limiting its usage and any unwanted exploits that may arise.
Personally I think it'd be a great way to make traversing water (at least the surface) a little faster, as currently I thought it was a little slow.
Last edited by TreeInT'Mornin' on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you score negative on an IQ test, they give you a free pass outta everything.

Nanirourou

Re: Rolling on water?

Postby Nanirourou » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:50 am

That could make an interesting power up! Only can be performed if already in Reptile Roll when entering the water, can't fall from a distance into the water, and how about only if you're going a certain speed? As soon as you slow down or stop, you fall in. I would enjoy some timed challenges with this mechanic, something similar to riding the Bloopers in Super Mario Sunshine.
you kuh lady

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:08 am

Maybe you can do it with a different kind of berry, for instance frost berry?

BlackKoromon

Postby BlackKoromon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:42 pm

I ALSO got this glitch and couldn't replicate it, but was able to Reptile Roll across water for a short time. I was so surprised I almost immediately ruined it, but I'm sure it happened. Also thought it would make for a cool powerup!
Make the forum great again.

TreeInT'Mornin'

Postby TreeInT'Mornin' » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:24 pm

If you score negative on an IQ test, they give you a free pass outta everything.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:17 pm

I just remembered that you could run on water in Banjo-Tooie! When Kazooie wears the Turbo Trainers she can run across water, but if you stop moving they fall in and lose the trainers. This move was important for Glitter Gulch Mine to make it to the barred cave in the time limit, and in Jolly Rodger's Lagoon to collect...a Jinjo was it?

So, basically I subconsciously wanted the water Reptile Roll to function like the Turbo Trainers did. :3
Last edited by Nanirourou on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
you kuh lady

TreeInT'Mornin'

Postby TreeInT'Mornin' » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:34 pm

you kuh lady

TreeInT'Mornin'

Postby TreeInT'Mornin' » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:08 am

you kuh lady

TreeInT'Mornin'

Postby TreeInT'Mornin' » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:09 pm

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:45 pm

I think another cool idea is if you could skip across the water Kiddy Kong style.

BlackKoromon

Postby BlackKoromon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:47 am

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 am

Well, I'm currently playing through Zelda: Majora's Mask on Project 64 with an Xbox One controller on Windows 10 with no issues. Earlier this year I played through B-K and B-T with the same set up, with the difference that I used a 360 controller part of the time. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what makes my set up work but yours not though. I wish I could give you better troubleshooting!
you kuh lady

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”