North American Localization

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
playtonicrarevival

North American Localization

Postby playtonicrarevival » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:26 am

Wow, does this toy box look great. Brings back a bunch of memories of the glory days of the buddy platformer. I can't wait for the finished product. One thing I would suggest is making the conversion from British English to American English when localizing the game. Especially for the sake of small children learning how to spell words like favorite, theater, and vocalize for the first time. It really breaks the immersion when having to double check dialog for "spelling errors".

Crownless

Re: North American Localization

Postby Crownless » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 am

Or I suppose we could just teach our children that other parts of the world spell those words a little differently. Guarantee if they spend any time online, they'll come across those words spelled that way. :P

Honestly, I prefer the dialog as it is. It seems like a silly change considering it's perfectly readable.

ReturnRare

Postby ReturnRare » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:01 am

After a couple Professor Layton games Nintendo said "screw it" and just gave everyone the British English translation for the later titles. It makes sense because the games take place in England anyway. The same thing happened with Xenoblade Chronicles. Nintendo of America wasn't going to give us the game until fans started a movement called "Operation Rainfall". Since those cool cats at Nintendo of Europe already had a translation in the works Nintendo of America decided at the last minute to give us that version and kept all British-isms. If anything it made the game even more unique. All the characters had British accents, dungeons had floor 1 labeled as "Ground Floor" and then numbered the floors starting with the second floor being called "Floor 1", and the British way of spelling was kept in tact.

British spelling doesn't hurt anything. If anything, it adds flavour.

Banner by @DYAgames on Twitter.
Follow me @Return Rare on Twitter.

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm quite alright with them sticking with British spelling, we here in Canada use the British spelling for a lot of words already anyway.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Stop picking your nose

IronSammet

Postby IronSammet » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:11 am

PLEASE do not localize (localise!) the dialogue. I absolutely love the way it is.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah, localizing an already English game is pretty pointless. Should they also remove the British humor and the British words?

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Well, in that case, there should be a Canadian English localiz(s?)ation as well! /s

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:04 pm

First you take "Where's Wally?" (Waldo), then "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (Sorcerer's), and now you're going after poor Yooka-Laylee?!? When will you people be satisfied?!? :o (I'm just kidding :lol: ).

But really, if you see the alternate spellings enough, you get used to them and then you just automatically adjust. For example, as someone from Australia where we use British English, I read your initial post and was wondering why you included the word "theater" in the list, because when I read it, my mind automatically corrected it and I actually saw "theatre", until I made a conscious effort to look at it and notice the different spelling of the E and R being swapped around. I actually never knew the word was spelled differently in American English until you said it. I did know about the other words you mentioned, but as Crownless mentioned, that's because I see the alternate/American spelling of those words so much that I can read either spellings and it's not jarring at all.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 pm

I'd prefer a mix of whatever English (or other language, or hieroglyph) is necessary to portray the intended character's personality.
Make the forum great again.

Volvagia

Postby Volvagia » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 am

What did Rare do? I swore they kept British spelling and jargon for the NA release, as they should.

No need for everything to be Americanized mate. That loses some o' the charm.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Tamashii7

Postby Tamashii7 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 am

I'm fine with the British spelling. It adds to the game's personality and charm.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:29 pm

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 pm

No offense, OP, but "think of the children" has rarely ever been a good reason to change anything

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:11 am

Stop picking your nose

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Fair enough. It's just OP's stance in this seems awkwardly egocentrical and kind of insulting.
Stop picking your nose

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Although I'm Puerto Rican (I was raised speaking American English), and I have certain viewpoints on localization, I think that localizing this game would be completely unnecesary.

It needs to have its original (both literally and figuratively) English language, and it needs to have its original, zany, Rare-like humor.

I had a good laugh when I saw the dialogue of Banjo-Kazooie. It was really fun.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:05 pm

I doubt that Team 17 would bother with localizing Yooka-Laylee into American English when the game is already written in British English by default. Not to mention the massive amount of work involved of translating Y-L in French, Spanish, German, Dutch (I wish), etcetera - leaves no room for such a trivial option being included in Yooka-Laylee. Also, it's very tempting to post a certain classic moment from The Simpsons that's about that statement of yours, OP.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”