Visual clarity for rolling uphill

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
navisayslisten

Visual clarity for rolling uphill

Postby navisayslisten » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Several times during my Toybox playthrough, I found myself thinking "blue ramp = I can roll on it." On several occasions I was wrong and was unable to roll up the ramp. I know that when the game is released the ramps won't be a certain colour but I think that there needs to be a clear indication to the player whether a hill or ramp can be scaled.

Thoughts?

BlackKoromon

Re: Visual clarity for rolling uphill

Postby BlackKoromon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 am

Notice the two different shades of blue. One can be scaled, one cannot. They are not too hard to tell apart IMO.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 am

I thought the clear indication would be if you go to roll up it and you slide back down, that means you can't roll up it :D .
I see it as part of the trial and error of adventure and discovery, and think the game would be less fun if they made it really obvious where you can and cannot roll.

BlackKoromon

Postby BlackKoromon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 am

That is true, was always exciting to try and get places you shouldn't with chicken legs.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:24 pm

On the other hand, I remember an incline that was much greater than a blue one that I was able to simply walk on. I would like to believe that slopes would naturally appear to be far too slanted or have a certain type of surface if you can only traverse them with the Reptile Roll.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:38 am

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:34 am

Slopes you can roll up are light blue. Slopes you can't roll up are dark blue. They probably should've made them red or something, but they did include a visual distinction between the two, however minor.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:28 am

They are just slopes for beta testing. I remember some beta areas in LoZ Wind Waker that shares similar assets.

(reference)

In the main game these will obviously be reworked.
Stop picking your nose

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”