What you want to see

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
mijuee

Re: What you want to see

Postby mijuee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:27 pm

I want pretty much what HylianBadger25 said, for consoles wii U and retail, that can't be negotiated.
Then about the game, I want it to be fun, with a very big hub world, and tons of things to explore and collect so I can be playing for lots of hours.

Cube

Postby Cube » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:32 pm

I want to see all the content in the game at the start. No exclusive kickstarter digital content, no pre-order bonus, no Amiibo (or similar thing) content and no platform-exclusive content.

Of course, they're fine to have a few unreachable collectibles that will be unlocked by the next game, but that's only because of the original plans for BK.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Do y'all care if this game shows up in physical retail? Personally, I'd like it, but it's just so difficult to do for a small, indie studio. If it proves too much of a bother, I'd rather have them direct their efforts elsewhere.

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:08 pm

I want unique worlds... the developers shouldn't hop on the "Nintendo train" and create a grassy plains world, a desert world, a snow world, a beach world, a forest world, a mountain world, a sky world and a lava world. (You get my point, right?)
I want something different... I wanna explore worlds I haven't seen before in some other game. I want innovative level designs and different atmospheres throughout the whole game.

Oh, and they should totally create a level full of randomness, like Cloud Cuckooland! :lol:

Duth Olec

Postby Duth Olec » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Code chamber! Code chamber!! Specifically, I liked how BK and BT made you earn your cheat codes. Sort of. Unless you knew how to put them in ahead of time? Or the others? But yeah, cheat codes being integrated as part of the game world was neat.

hjort

Postby hjort » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 pm

As long as the game hits the Wii U and feels like a true spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie I think I'll be good.

Well, if they would add a sequence of the development team performing a barbershop rendition of A-ha's Take on Me dressed entirely in mashed potatoes I'd take that as well.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:33 pm

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire thread, but I might as well make what I want known here just for posterity's sake in the hopes that the Playtonic crew are reading:

UNLOCKABLES: Costumes (Transformations?), Alternate Player Characters, New Worlds, New Moves, Weapons, etc. This one is pretty straight-foward. Again, everything I want can be summed up by what disappointed me about Super Mario Galaxy. No, playing as Luigi isn't enough of an incentive anymore, Nintendo. We need to raise the bar for them, Playtonic.

DLC: While I feel that everything I mentioned above can be put in this category, what I'd want most here is to download another set of levels with their own objectives set within the story of Project Ukulele. With this can come new costumes and etc. that enhance the experience to make it feel new again.

SECRETS: I would love it if something like Stop n' Swop were revived in this game, but I would like it if everything was achieved within the game itself and didn't require a sequel to unlock. Perhaps if we unlocked every secret in this game and still had the save file, it would unlock new features in the sequel (if there is one). That would be great. The secrets could be nods to Rare's former glory or perhaps used as a method of explaining parts of the world that remained a mystery up until that point.

Lienk

Postby Lienk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:40 pm

I want to see something "iconic" in the main world. Just like Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie, the Castle from Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Island from DK64, the Wizpig face from Diddy Kong Racing, etc. Something unique that sets it apart (and to remember in the future).

Josh-Bominaqua

Postby Josh-Bominaqua » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:48 pm

All I wanna see is what we have been truly waiting for since 2000. That true feel of a collectathon, that nonsensical humor, and the best references.
"A delayed game is eventually a good game, a bad game is a bad game forever." ~Miyamoto.

F these birds am I right?

bottles

Postby bottles » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I think it would be awesome if they made a true sequal to banjo tooie exclusively on the new 3ds after they see how successful project ukulele turns out!only if they where able to buy the rights to their old series' banjo perfect dk conker Gemini etc..
Last edited by bottles on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cranky Kong

Postby Cranky Kong » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:49 pm

There are tons of elements of old Rare games I'd love to see comeback. I know that most things like a good soundtrack or likeable characters are a given, so I just want to elaborate on four things I want to see in Project Ukulele:

- Secrets, secrets, secrets!
Exploring and getting all the collectibles should be as rewarding as possible! Extended or second endings, new level or worlds, "true final bosses", the bigger, the better!

- Creative, unique level designs
The last thing I want to see are overused level archtypes which are too bland for their own goods, like in recent Mario games. Donkey Kong Country 2 or Banjo-Kazooie for example had quite unique level designs/areas (giant beehives, Clanker's Cavern, roller coasters in DKC 2...) or at least clever twists to well-known archtypes (like the switching of the four seasons in Click Clock Wood).
Well, the screenshots shown in the EGX Rezzed-presentation are very promising in this regard, anyways =)

- Minecart sections
Because these have been so much fun in DKC and DK 64!

- Baddies on parade at the ending ;)
EDIT: I thought of two more things I wish to be in this game...
- Acrobatic Jump'n'Run-Moves
Ok, that sounds maybe a bit cryptic, but basically, the playstyle for the main characters could take some cues from Super Mario 64 and the DKC-Series, where simply moving around your character "feels" good. That's one thing that always made Super Mario 64 a bit more fun than Banjo-Kazooie in the end, the way Mario played. Just tripple- and -walljumping around the world is a joy itself. The same goes for the DKC-Series, where rolling through enemies speeds you up and roll-jumping allows for cool shortcuts for more experienced players.

- Time trails (and online leader boards...?)
Time trails could enhance the replay value a lot, especially with an acrobatic moveset. Even if everything is collected in the levels, there would always be a reason to replay them.
Last edited by Cranky Kong on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingrat

Postby Kingrat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Confirming Grant Kirkhope has already made me extremely happy. Anything that man touches turns to gold.
Gibberish noises in place of speech is a must.
Having an underwater version of every track is something I always loved in BK, I'd like to see that return.
A unique hubworld which is explorable in its own right.
The same quirky english dialogue from the BK games. Self reference a lot.
Someone already said this, but, cheat codes (or code room) to unlock stupid stuff like giant heads (Please include wishy washy banjo.Please.)

The bar is set unfairly high for you guys, but I hope you make a great game for everyone that misses classic collectathons.

No cars.

Stolm

Postby Stolm » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:21 pm

1. Retail Release
2. PS4 Release

I was 10 years old when Banjo Kazooie was released, and it is by far my favourite game of all time. No other game gives me that warm nostalgic feeling like it does.

Thinking back on what I love so much about Banjo, and what I would like to see in it's spiritual successor, the following is comes to mind.

What I love most about Banjo is how progression works through the world. Collecting different items, and acquiring new skills and moves to access areas that you were not able enter before. Never having to collect them all, but always feeling awesome being a completionist and finding everything a world had to offer.

I know "collectathons" get a bad wrap (mostly from DK64) but Banjo was perfect. And it's probably one of the most addicting, simple, and fun gameplay mechanics.

I love how the game can seem so big, but how cozy it feels taking place in Gruntilda's Lair.(I remember feeling Banjo Tooie became a little too stretched and scattered) You are never running ridiculous distances over long boring zones. The world makes sense, and is fun to explore. I was always excited to unlock the next section of the hub world, and see where it led.

I love the different worlds, all completely unique from each other. I always remember how massive and daunting Click Clock Wood felt when I first entered. And how beautiful and amamzing it was altering the Seasons, and see a whole zone change.

Of course the artstyle and music are both amazing.

I have never donated to a kickstarter before, but I guarantee I will with this game.

This looks like the game I have been waiting for 15 years!

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:40 am

I want rhymes lots of rhymes from the villain!!

DKBananaSlamma

Postby DKBananaSlamma » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:44 am

Donkey Kong and N/3DS Spinoff.

AndyProtagonist

Postby AndyProtagonist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:51 am

Co-op would be awesome! :D
Andy Protagonist

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:03 am

Presents of the Past aka POOP that are a nod to a certain cuddly squirrel game we never got to play! You find a present in the game and follow the hints it gives you to find the rightful owner of the gift! When it opens therels a cool reference to a past Rare game (in parody form) that can be used as a Miverse Stamp and others containing Miiverse Stamps of artwork and characters from the game!!!

Big water world! With islands, reefs, sunken ships, beaches, etc! Love water exploration in games!!!

PandaBear

Postby PandaBear » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:20 am

I love that there is such a huge focus on exploration, but I hope that the game also has its fair share of platforming challenges as well. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie really nailed this, where as Banjo-Tooie focused more on navigation and mini-games.

I would also like some though provoking puzzles. Being able to see a "jiggy" that's just out of my reach, but getting it is a puzzle that's purely within the level's context as opposed to just needing to wait until I have the right move from later in the game.

lankykong422

Postby lankykong422 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:54 am

As many references to stop n swap as possible.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:25 pm

A couple of thoughts because I started watching a playthrough of Banjo Tooie. I appreciate that they did away with lives in that game - some people might consider that a cop-out but I feel a lot more obliged to keep trying to finish tough levels if I get unlimited attempts at it.

And this is purely visual but I was kind of sad they removed the gradual change of expression on Banjo and Kazooie's faces on the health meter as it depleted. Just thought that was a neat touch which added character to the interface, would be nice to see that brought back for the interface of Project Ukulele. That and quirky character idle animations...but I think the latter is a given, since it's been a staple in platform games for a while.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”