Should Yooka-Laylee have a leveling system?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
snoodle1

Should Yooka-Laylee have a leveling system?

Postby snoodle1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Since most modern games have EXP and leveling I thought that it might be cool to implement one into Yooka-Laylee. You would get EXP from killing enemies and every 25-or-so EXP gained should increase your level by one. I think the stuff you unlock via leveling up should be similar to what you unlock via the Stop-n-Swap eggs in the re-release of Banjo-Tooie: Permanent transformations, combat moves, cheat codes and skins for the characters. I think the transformations should be minor and only increase stuff like ammo count and combat potential just like the Dragon transformation. The combat moves shouldn't be mandatory to unlock collectibles like the Breegull Bash, so not to force grinding onto the players. The cheat codes should just be optional expansions to existing moves like the homing eggs and the skins are self explanatory. I think it would best to have the player chose between one of the four every level.

So do you think Yooka-Laylee should have a Zelda 2 style leveling system.

DarkTone

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have a leveling system?

Postby DarkTone » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 pm

I wouldn't be a fan of that in this game. Maybe somewhere in future games, but for now, the traditional 3D platformer is fine.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:41 pm

We have this. It's called collectables are your EXP and allow you access to new worlds. Accessing new moves by talking to Trowser is leveling up.

No need for anything more.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:29 pm

It's probably best this game stays focused on collectibles to unlock those things you mentioned. In this sort of game you *typically* grow stronger, i.e. "level up," by exploring. In Yooka combat moves can be purchased from Trowser with the Quills you find, Playtonics you purchase will likely yield the "optional" Cheato code / Stop N' Swap style modifiers you mention.

Now many modern games do use EXP effectively (as you may know better than me, actually...)
In Yooka such a system could reinforce the combo system and encourage the player to string together a variety of combat moves. However my concern is that this would feel convoluted with the upgrade systems in place and detract from the exploration-focused gameplay. If players enjoy the feel of the combat moves and the look of how they animate, they'll naturally want to experiment with the system and gamemplay becomes its own reward.

P.S.: The new Rachet and Clank uses exp, right? Platformer aside, this seems a more action oriented game but as I, unfortunately, haven't played others could likely better speak to this.

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:37 am

Nah, I think traversing the worlds to learn new moves keeps the game flowing better. And we can modify the game with the Play Tonics if we want some variety.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 am

Imo the platforming genre does not need such a thing as a leveling element. It does't really add depth to the fun anyway, as borders can be determined by the amount of collectibles anyway.
So a leveling mechanic only for some extra's wouldn't give it the oomph and would feel cheap.

unless a developer would uniquely combine several other elements as well and makes an interesting mix-up.

No.
Stop picking your nose

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:52 am

It's a very interesting idea, and I could see it being integrated into a 3D platformer very well. But I think it wouldn't work in Yooka-Laylee, since it's sticking close to an established formula and it would be hard to make it mesh without reworking the whole game.

I am, however, very interested in this idea in general. Maybe that's something we could see from Playtonic if they decide to revisit the 3D platformer in the future.

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Lots of people are saying new moves should only be learned from Trowzer. The way I see it, you should earn platforming moves from exploring and combat moves from leveling. See Symphony of the Night and the Mega Man Zero games.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm

An EXP system in a platformer should be slowly enhancing your abilities. No levels, just experience. Damage you do to enemies? Ever so slightly increases based on your EXP. Same with your jump height and distance, your flutter distance, and speed. I'd also argue ammo could have increased firing rate, but that could be bad, so you'd have to actually give it a firing time that is maintained the same instead of having a firing rate tied to ammunition. So that part would be the trickiest perhaps.

It's not to say an EXP system for a platformer can't be done, but it's just not for Yooka Laylee. It would veer too far from the classic formula and/or mess up the game completely at this point, as alluded to above.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:20 am

No thanks.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Naw
Make the forum great again.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:31 pm

In a game like this? No, I don't think a level-up system is necessary. Not that I'd be entirely opposed to it, but I'd have to wonder why it's there, and what use would it serve.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”