Making the Switch

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

How does the Wii U version's Cancellation affect you?

Happy
19%
Disappointed
19%
Angry
11%
Doesn't affect me/Pledged for non-Nintendo version/Was gonna get a Nintendo Switch anyway
51%

Total votes: 57

WyvernWings

Making the Switch

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:14 am

http://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-lay ... s-release/
Wii U version was cancelled due to "technical issues" apparently.

Last edited by WyvernWings on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue

Re: Making the Switch

Postby Blue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 am

The switch to the Switch doesn't affect me as I opted for the PS4 version of the game, but I have a feeling those who backed the Wii U version are going to be unhappy. It probably doesn't help that a lot of the backers were getting it for their Wii U. On the other hand, it is a known fact that the Wii U was the weaker of the eighth gen consoles, so this change was for the best, I think. Less headaches for the developers, and less outrage than if the game were to be released in a buggy state. Wii U backers also get to switch to any other available consoles free of charge, so it's not all bad.
"Hands off my bread."

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 am

So why did I even pledge for this??? WTF...
I chose the Wii U version because I don't own a X1, an PS4 or a high-end PC (and I love Nintendo).
+ I also pledged thinking that I could play the game day 1.

The advantages of backing this project are COMPLETELY gone now:
- Non-backers get the chance to play this on console (Toybox/full game) before the people who did choose the Wii U version...
- We (Nintendo gamers) probably WON'T play it day 1.
- Non-backers can get all important stuff at the same time or even BEFORE Wii U backers!

--> Also ANOTHER delay... (Just like any other game studio nowadays. You're no different at all...)

I will get a Switch at launch, but as far as I can read it won't be available at the same time as on other consoles/PC.
+ You almost FORCE people to buy a Switch, because for some of them/us there is no other way to play this game otherwise!

Also why communicate this SO FRIGGIN' LATE into the developing process???

Sorry guys, I love YL, but now you're just pulling a 'Mighty No.9' on us.
This is REALLY shitty and I'm mad as hell.

I will NEVER back a Kickstarter project again.
cupcake.THIS.poo-poo.
Seriously!

P.s. At this point I won't even be surprised if it won't come to the Switch at all. ;)

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:03 am

Last edited by Piet on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:17 am

I thought Shoved Knight was the worst thing they could do. I was wrong.

Jesus Christ. I thought Playtonic would be a good company to back. But they screwed me over.

I'm not getting Day 1 Switch - I'm probably not getting it for over a year. I have a ****ing Wii U Playtonic. What the ****. I don't have a gaming PC. God ****. :x

Is there going to be an option for refund or am I just SOL? Expect the latter cause that's the nature of kickstarters, but this is a massive disappointment. Edit: Looks like their FAQ says I can work out a refund. I'll discuss it with my brother as he has a game-capable laptop, though 3D games still give him worry about overheating. So a game more powerful than Wii U may give him pause.

Especially after all the denials about a Switch version. Losing the Wii U version is infuriating - good choice to OP on that poll option.

I can understand not making a Physical Wii U release, but to not release a digital makes me lose faith in this company. The Rare Revival? Pfffft

---

Anyone selling their PS4 or ONE for $10? Playtonic, want to throw that into a backer package??

Hell. Why not this Playtonic? Release a "gimped" game that removes whatever feature you can't figure out on Wii U for Wii U backers in combination to whatever non-Wii U system someone has. I'd rather do that than be screwed over.
Last edited by Exaskryz on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:17 am

Its irrelevant to me since I'm as pc exclusive as I can get, but thats absolutely terrible on playtonics part. Promise for the wii u but stop probably because its at the end of its life cycle... :|

Blue

Postby Blue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:19 am

"Hands off my bread."

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:36 am

Last edited by Piet on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

kaiserpc

Postby kaiserpc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:39 am

I'm gutted. I backed this in good faith, but that's another Kickstarter campaign I've been burnt on. I don't have any other consoles, won't be buying a switch, and my PC is pretty old - so I've no way to play this now!! Plus me and my kids really wanted to play this on our big tv screen - not a tiny laptop screen!!

So what are the "technical issues" - why haven't they elaborated on the issues?!? Surely us Wiiu users should get the option of playing the "crippled" wiiu version at least. Have they seen the games Nintendo can turn out for the console - it's obviously powerful enough to cope with the game, and if not then turn down the framerate or reduce the poly count etc.

I would really like to know what the "technical issues" are. Can't they just release the wiiu version as it is, so at least we have a demo to play. Or do they not even have a development wiiu version running. Poor, poor, poor!! :-(

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:42 am

Okay, so how can I get a refund?
I'm sick and tired of this s***!!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:43 am

Great decision from PT's perspective. Obviously the Wii U version would not bring in substantial money, technical issues aside. I am happy seeing they use their head instead of their heart in this scenario. A perfectly healthy business mentality... Ghehe. Eventually... They're bound to become what they repel so anyway... A CASHINO IN FOR ALL YOUR MONEEZZZZ!!!1!11!

Feel free to stop reading and swap other opinions. Game looks awesome anyway, can't wait to play! Have you seen that trailer? Microtransactions for pagies confirmed :) PG 10+ rating is somewhat baffling though. Simulated gambling?
Stop picking your nose

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 am

Last edited by Exaskryz on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:50 am

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:51 am

Stop picking your nose

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:52 am

Blue

Postby Blue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 am

Last edited by Blue on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Hands off my bread."

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:57 am

I'm sure they would admit and feel sorry for not living up to a promise. But try to place yourself in their shoes... Perhaps some more gameplay elements or graphical choices came along their way and these would work on Switch, PS4 and XB1 but just not on Wii U. They decide that Wii U support is failing anyway because the game would release AFTER the Switch's release. The Switch looks promising to say at the least.

What would you decide to do from their perspective? What choices are there left to make it viable for Wii U and also get enough profit?
Stop picking your nose

AndyR
Site Admin

Postby AndyR » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 am

Hi all,

Sorry I've not made it to this thread until now - understandably we're receiving a lot of questions on a lot of different platforms.

The decision to transfer from Wii U to Switch was not easy for us and cancelling the Wii U version was certainly not what we wanted to do. We spent many months trying to overcome very unusual technical difficulties that sadly eventually proved impossible to overcome. We really did explore every possible avenue (which is why we didn't make the decision until late - we wanted to be sure) but unfortunately for an indie team working on a multiplatform game, it wasn't possible.

We're all huge Nintendo fans here with a big Nintendo heritage, so of course we're disappointed and now want to do our best to make sure fans on Nintendo platforms are looked after the best they can be. We're working very closely with Nintendo on Switch and hopefully, in the long run, we'll do Nintendo fans proud.

As you saw from today's announcement, Kickstarter backers will receive the game for a huge discount and of course will be receiving lots of unique rewards not available to non-backers. Our number one priority is repaying our loyal fans.

kaiserpc

Postby kaiserpc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Again, what are the "technical difficulties" - you've said nothing new here.

Why can't you release what you have on the wiiu as a tech demo - so at least we have something

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”