Making the Switch

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

How does the Wii U version's Cancellation affect you?

Happy
19%
Disappointed
19%
Angry
11%
Doesn't affect me/Pledged for non-Nintendo version/Was gonna get a Nintendo Switch anyway
51%

Total votes: 57

dotEXE

Re: Making the Switch

Postby dotEXE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Make the forum great again.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

After this I won't comment anymore.

Just check the Kickstarter comment page.
There are people over there who don't have their love glasses on all the time.
They ARE realistic (unlike many people over here)!

Bye, bye!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:48 pm

"Just check the Reddit /r/games page.
There are people over there who didn't say the sky fell because a console was switched for another"
They ARE realistic (unlike a person over here)!"

Ahhh, misrepresentation of huge, differently opinionated groups for the sake of supporting a viewpoint.
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:49 pm

Stop picking your nose

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:55 pm

I can't wait to play Yooka-Laylee on the go.

This, plus that 3D Mario game that was shown in the Switch teaser trailer, plus whatever 3D platformer there'll ever be for the Switch...

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:36 pm

Wow I feel depressed after reading this thread..
Such a trainwreck hah

Anyways, I have faith in Playtonic, and fully support their decision to cancel the Wii U version. There are definitely some issues with Unity and Wii U, and YL shouldn't get ruined by bad porting! People would probably be even angrier if YL had some of the bugs that MN9 had anyways..
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:17 am

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 am

dang some people are real mad

The Humble Gamer

Postby The Humble Gamer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 am

Wow, this thread is wild.
Can I make a Suggestion that I think will help heal these wounds a little quicker?

It might sound silly, but why not release Yooka-Laylee on all platforms (INCLUDING SWITCH) at the same time?
You might have to delay the game's release for that, but atleast then all of us loyal fans can play day 1 in the knowledge that we're the first to play it, which is what was promised in the kickstarter.

A bonus of this would be it would give those with little spare funds (like myself) enough time to get a console to play it on, whether it be PS4, Xbox One or switch.
PC just isn't an option for alot of people.

I do hope a mod sees this

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:27 am

General reception to the Wii U's version's cancellation has been very mixed.
Some like me are getting a Switch anyway, others predicted the Wii U's shortcomings and early demise. About 55-60 percent of backers are alright with the Wii U version being scrapped.

On the negative side on things though, It hurts my heart to see Playtonic go through all this mud, when they probably didn't have a choice BUT to cancel the Wii U version. Backlash was inevitable.
Andy's answering questions to some upset people on Twitter, some don't believe him. People who have no knowledge in game development are accusing the company of lying and taking their money, even though refunds are promised. The fact they're offering refunds means they will be LOSING money. (I think that's how it works with Kickstarter anyway, not 100% sure though.)
Playtonic have worked on Nintendo games in the past, so I trust that they didn't give up the Wii U version lightly, whatever the reason may be. If I were them, I too would feel be very, very gutted to go back on the promise of the Wii U version. Very horrible feeling. It's a blow to everyone.

But what I'm most disappointed about though is that after the Mighty No. 9 debacle as well as other Kickstarter blunders, Yooka-Laylee looked like one of the few notable Kickstarter video games done right, the one that everyone would point to should one doubt the power of croudfunding. Sadly, that may not be the case anymore due to these circumstances. It's sad, really. It would have been a perfect weapon in such debates.

I might also point out that as much faith as I have in the company, the Toybox should not have been a pre-order bonus for the PS4/XBone. It's a cool idea for an extra, but it doesn't do Wii U owners any favours, nor does it for the people who didn't pledge enough for the Toybox but are getting the full game as a reward anyway.

The game is still looking awesome and I'm still very super excited as ever to play it, and I hope Playtonic and everyone affected by this news recovers from this.
There will be another update in January. We should wait to see if they release further information about the Wii U version. I don't know if Nintendo would appreciate a developer explaining specifics about why the game won't function properly on their own system, but as professional as Playtonic has been with their PR, a more detailed explanation regarding these technical issues would be appreciated.
Last edited by WyvernWings on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:36 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:36 am

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:19 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:23 am

karashata

Postby karashata » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:37 am

I had to go check my Backerkit page to remind myself which platform I ended up selecting for my digital version and it turns out I had chosen the Wii U (since it was between that or PC since I don't own either of the other consoles, and I'm already getting a physical copy for PC as part of the "64-bit Edition" package). I'm a little bit disappointed but ultimately I doubt I would have played the Wii U version much (if at all) anyway on account of having the PC version. Not sure if I'm going to switch my digital version for a PC copy just because or if I'll wait to see what happens with regard to a possible (and seeming likely) Switch version (and whether I anticipate getting a Switch any time soon after its release). Will have to wait and see how things go, for now.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”