VR support: Yes or No

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
snoodle1

VR support: Yes or No

Postby snoodle1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Lucky's Tale showed the incredible potential 3D platformers have in VR. Why shouldn't Yooka-Laylee evolve the idea into something truly incredible?

Rueckkoppler

Re: VR support: Yes or No

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:00 pm

I only see VR as a opportunity for a new Playtonic game, if ever. Y-L isn't build for this technology. But there's this one game (maybe it's the one you're mentioning) with simpler, more linear platforming sections and an almost isometric camera perspective. And the characters sometimes interacting with the "camera"/the player. But yeah, I wouldn't want VR for the sole reason that it's pretty expensive and I'd like to enjoy all Playtonic games on a classic TV with classic controls... I wouldn't want to be excluded anytime soon from their creations.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I don't see how VR would improve the experience all that much, honestly. Aside from the whole "WHOA, I'M IN THE GAME WORLD" which will likely get old after a while, what would VR do to improve the Yooka-Laylee experience?
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Because it's not required to make it better, or be good overall.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:41 pm

Yooka-Laylee? No

Next project? Sure why not. Providing they think they have a great idea and believe they are the people to do it.

SurrealBrain

Postby SurrealBrain » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:54 am

Yooka-Laylee VR should be optional, and that's if they do it at all. Thing's expensive.

As for if Playtonic's next game should have it? Depends on if it's a success.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Naw. Bad gimmick.
Make the forum great again.

yooka-dragon

Postby yooka-dragon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:55 am

Oh no. Don't need !

Exclusive Website on Yooka-Laylee, News rumors and complete wiki and walkthrough on Yooka-Laylee.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:13 pm

How about... NO!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:16 am

People saying no haven't tried VR. It makes a huge difference when judging jump distances. You can look anywhere instantly instead of focusing on moving the camera with a joystick. It's a pretty neat way to play.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Having demoed a VR system, no. A game needs to be designed from the ground up for it. Yooka-Laylee was not.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:25 am

as a vr developer, i can tell you its not as easy as just a tick box, you have to change the world to fit within vr, and from what ive seen, vr would not be a welcome fit into the world.
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Flint

Postby Flint » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:56 am

Last edited by Flint on Sat May 13, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

GigiFusc

Postby GigiFusc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Lucky's Tale is a lovely platformer for VR despite being quite shallow in gameplay terms. Ironically, the fact that it has a kind of isometric view which makes you feel like you're inside a little toy world, the side scrolling of the camera can easily induce nausea. Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems with VR is that what affects one person doesn't affect another so it's nigh on impossible to get this right at the moment.

Having said that, the studio I work for are developing a full on 3rd person VR arcade adventure and having the camera sat behind the MC isn't as nausea inducing as having it in iso mode. This is likely due to the fact that the most nauseating thing you can do is to move the camera sideways - it's less so moving the camera forward (although some people do still feel sick just moving forward.

Having said that! The difference between our VR game and YL is that we control the main character with the players head whereas with YL, you control the MC with the control pad. That means that with a VR headset on, you could look in one direction and move YL in another direction meaning the camera would do the high risk, motion sickness inducing side/strafing movement. So that would be a big nono.

Motion sickness is currently the scourge of VR and there's no solution as yet (most dev's work around it leading to less freedom of movement than we have become accustomed to). I've been told of some non scientific research that could potentially mean that it will just go away over the next few years as our brains just get used to VR. But we'll have to see. :)

Piet

Postby Piet » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Nope.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”