Switch is confirmed!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rasmusic

Switch is confirmed!

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:46 pm

It says here that you will be able to change to a Switch version! That's great :D

Also gratz for going gold!
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Piet

Re: Switch is confirmed!

Postby Piet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm

They realised they weren't going to make the 'January more info' thingy, so they updated us on stuff we already knew + negative things...

Let's call this the 'how the keep 'em quiet' update.

- No physical Switch release.
- No Switch release date (they are leaning towards a delay).
- It looks like we have to decide to change to the Switch version BEFORE we even have all Switch version release info (like the release date). Be transparent... Give.us.info...
- What about the people who (also) backed for a PC physical release, but who want a physical release for another platform at this time?
- Toybox backer struggles (no console Toybox for backers).
- Physical release via Kickstarter is (way) more expensive than via (let's say) Amazon. So people who've helped creating this game have to pay more for a physical copy than non-backers (which is ridiculous).

Example:
£15 paid for backer, for digital +
Physical £20 =
Total £35...
-----
Amazon £29 physical...
Prime member £27...
-----

- We'll first get a new update to update us on the date/time we can make changes to our backerkits.

I have a feeling more negative Nintendo news is coming our way 'in the future' (as they like to call it).
They promised we'd get more REAL info in January, so that leaves tomorrow. :)

I'm once again leaning towards asking for a refund, 'cause things are starting to get really sketchy...
Last edited by Piet on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.

ReturnRare

Re: Looks like switch is confirmed!

Postby ReturnRare » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:58 pm

I know they're under enough pressure as it with canceling one version and bringing development to another console so late in the development cycle, but I still wonder if Switch will get a physical version sometime down the road. Perhaps, given their history together, Nintendo will throw Playtonic a bone and help them publish physical Switch copies. But it's probably too early to tell if they'll do that.

I have a feeling we'll have to wait a while for the Switch version so after the other versions are released a Yooka-Laylee Switch game card may be announced after Playtonic looks at how many people signed up for the digital Switch version. Then the BackerKit can be opened up again for the Switch backers to upgrade to physical. I have a feeling it's something Playtonic (and by extension Team17) and Nintendo are both looking at and at this point it's about playing the numbers game.

Banner by @DYAgames on Twitter.
Follow me @Return Rare on Twitter.

Piet

Re: Looks like switch is confirmed!

Postby Piet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:02 pm

The Humble Gamer

Postby The Humble Gamer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 pm

I am getting more and more psyched as time goes on.

People complaining about the upgrade price need to get a bloody grip already.
You realise upgrading is OPTIONAL, right? Plus, you weren't forced to back this project in the first place, stop being so damn entitled.

There are tons of people who have been and still are whining about the wii u cancellation/switch version "issues", which I really can't see myself.
You realise playtonic aren't tight with Nintendo like rare was back in the day right? Nintendo most likely never helped them very much from the beginning. To get so far in the development cycle of the wii u version and have to stop...(for good reason i might add, the wii u is a dead console, and I'm saying that as an owner of one) and start working on making a port for an entirely new console...it's not a quick process.
The switch version will never be done for the launch (at least not a physical release) we'll be lucky if the switch's digital version is ready for April 11th.

Personally I care not for the Switch and will be playing the game on PS4. I have no quarrels about paying the £20 upgrade fee for a physical copy (if i chose not to upgrade I'd get a digital copy for free anyway) because I think it is more than worth it and I'm not entitled to a free physical copy just because i gave $300 to the kickstarter. Physical copies of a game are a little bit more difficult than that.

Wii U backers need to stop being so entitled and self-important. You are entitled to nothing. This entire project has been a choice from the very beginning. You did not need to back, you did not need to take interest at all. Stop acting like the wii u cancellation is "unfair" because you didn't get exactly what you wanted.

Sorry for the small vent there but I needed to get that off my chest and out there. It's not perfectly well written out because I'm seriously tired but I think the point is there, otherwise I'm absolutely happy about everything to do with this game right now and can't wait for it's release.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:23 pm

So you say that Wii U backers feel entitled, while your own post only consists of 'I' and 'me'?
Way to go...

And if Wii U backers didn't back this project in first place, there wouldn't have been a YL in this form AT.ALL.!

All my points still stand firmly.

They just keep on breaking promises + they are are not transparent at all.
That's what makes this even more frustrating!!

Take of your pink love glasses and be realistic!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:23 pm

So what do you suggest? Should they magically get a port ready over night? Nintendo screwed themselves with how they set up the Wii U, that is the big point that stands above everything. Seriously, I'm out of these discussions. Once the Switch version is out and we receive the next games by Playtonic on day one on Switch, nobody will ever care about a port for a port-unfriendly, failed console. And yes, I'm a Wii U owner and backer as well. In my case, I fully understand the development of things because of that. That is realistic and not emotional thinking in my book.

As I said before: The situation is s*itty for Nintendo fans, but there are valid reasons for that, other than "Playtonic are an evil bunch of people and screwing us over just because!"

They announce things once they're certain to do that, so just be patient. Or you get more of your "broken promises". I want the Switch version on day one as well, but things are how they are until they announce further details. Go make use of your if that stops the whining.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: Some people just like to complain...lol

I'm glad they gave us some info and that they confirmed the Switch release. Even though they didn't set the date, perhaps they will reply to a tweet asking considering they are usually very good with interacting with us after updates.

Don't think we should be complaining at all about anything. It's a game. We're way too spoiled as a society if this is getting some of us so worked up... :?

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:02 pm

He he!! Oh boy, exciting! I wonder how my fellow forum buddies feel about this update

Last edited by WyvernWings on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:39 pm

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 pm

The Humble Gamer

Postby The Humble Gamer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 pm

My goodness, I guess my point was completely missed then.

Let me make it clearer.
-I own a Wii U
-I love the Wii U
-I backed for a digital Wii U copy
-I do not own a PS4 (Yet)

But despite all this...
-I think the £20 upgrade price is reasonable considering its optional
-I think Playtonic have been very straightforward about whats happening
-The Wii U cancellation did not bother me as I can see from a business standpoint why it was done
-The switch only getting a digital release (for now) seems understandable considering how recently Playtonic have had to switch from working on a Wii u version to focusing on a switch version and probably haven't got a deal ready with Nintendo yet to publish physical switch copies.

People complaining about the "lack of transparency" from playtonic confuse me.
What have they not been transparent about exactly? It's clear the switch will get a digital release day 1, and it's also clear the upgrade price to physical on Xbox one and PS4 is completely optional and you could just stick with a digital version (which you'll get for free). These complaints honestly baffle me.

What Rueckkoppler wrote above is spot on.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:18 pm

The Humble Gamer

Postby The Humble Gamer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:49 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:49 am

Day 1 release is April 11th, 2017.

If the Switch releases in May, that's is not Day 1 release, in any logical or accepted sense.

Switch isn't getting Day 1 Skyrim. It's getting Year 6 Skyrim.

---

See any of the other threads talking about how pre-order people get a toybox. See any other threads about how it's cheaper to buy a physical copy on Amazon than back a digital copy + upgrade.

---

If it only took 1 1/2 months of effort to get the game onto the Switch, then there is hardly any reason to not release both Switch and digital-only Wii U.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”