Difficulty level in Yooka-Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
jinjo89

Difficulty level in Yooka-Laylee

Postby jinjo89 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 am

With the release of Yooka-Laylee less than 10 weeks away I was wondering what sort of difficulty level people are expecting from the game?

After playing the game at EGX I was pleasently suprised by how challenging I found it just from the first world. I consider myself decent at platformers having finished the hard mode in DKCTF but you have to think differently with a 3D platformer and as there hasn't been one like this in a while only adds to the challenge.

With it been confirmed there is no hand holding and no map screen indicating where Paigies are hidden (which would spoil some of the fun) I am thinking the difficulty will ramp up nicely with the last worlds Paige's really giving us a run for our quills!

WyvernWings

Re: Difficulty level in Yooka-Laylee

Postby WyvernWings » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:25 am

I have never been excited about running aimlessly around a massive level just to find that last damn collectable, but bloody oath somehow I am now.

metalreflectslime

Postby metalreflectslime » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:46 am

I am hoping for something that takes precision of aiming to take into effect. For example, there should be a shootout challenge where hitting the bull's eye gets you 3 points and hitting the middle circle gives you 2 points, and hitting the outside region gets you 1 point.

IIRC, there has never been such a mini game in any BK game that has this.

It is either you hit it or you miss it.

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:10 am

"Hands off my bread."

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 pm

The difficulty would probably be the same as the first two Banjo games were. Meaning most of the Pagies/Quills are easy to obtain, while others are a bit harder to collect. But you never know that there might be a race in Y-L that's even more difficult than the race with Canary Mary in Cloud Cuckooland was back in the day.

metalreflectslime

Postby metalreflectslime » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 am

The difficulty needs to be based on something creative and not artificial difficulty (rubber band AI races in BK+BT).

Examples of creative difficulty is a shootout challenge where you must max the points earned by hitting the center of the target, maxing all gems in the last world's Kartos's challenge, etc.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:14 pm

I honestly don't expect it to be very difficult. BK and BT are trivial now that I'm older, but I still enjoy the experience greatly. These games are fun to do the collecting, but the thing that'll bring you back over and over is really the quality of the universe built and the characters.
Make the forum great again.

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 am

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:56 am

I don't think it will be difficult in a gameplay sense, but have a litte bit of clout to it in terms of puzzles and finding everything needed to move forward.
I'm hoping it's a bit of gameplay and puzzles though, as if it's just puzzles you'll get the classic 'this game is too short, downvote lolz', from all those silly sausages who followed a walkthrough.
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:36 am

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:10 am

Wow, you beat DKC: TF hard mode, TC? :P

I'm more concerned with there being varying types of difficulty. As others have alluded to, challenges may include: puzzles, platforming segments, mini games, combat based, simple fetch quests, and more.
Players should be able to skip what hey don't like and at least approach the minimum amount of quills/pagies. Those who dig deeper and expand areas should find more challenging segments. I'd personally like a difficult final boss. I enjoyed that Grunty took a few goes to beat

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 am

"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”