(Neogaf) Jim Sterling, Laura Kate Dale: Warning to Yooka-Laylee Pre-Orderers

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Re: (Neogaf) Jim Sterling, Laura Kate Dale: Warning to Yooka-Laylee Pre-Orderers

Postby Yavga » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Stop picking your nose

DarkTone

Re: (Neogaf) Jim Sterling, Laura Kate Dale: Warning to Yooka-Laylee Pre-Orderers

Postby DarkTone » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 pm

And we know how much internet reviews can sway a vote.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I never understood why anyone liked a reviewer who prides himself on using neo-Nazi imagery but... regarding Jim and any/all of his reviews I only have one thought. I can't type it here because this is a family forum but it rhymes with "go duck yourself Jim".

Plus wasn't this game just at a big conference or festival of some kind? Actual regular ordinary people have played it hands on. Jim's "warning" is total click-bait bollocks.
Make the forum great again.

KnifeySkarekrow

Postby KnifeySkarekrow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 pm

GIT READY FOR A SHOCK!!!

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 pm

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:27 am

noob question , what mean game performance?

and what mean 60 constant%

i see this time to time , i never really understand what it mean.. and to me its not mean a lot..

anyway i'm sure the game will be awesome.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:29 am

and what wrong about 60 fps?

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:33 am

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:52 pm

this whole debacle with jim and jon just mere WEEKS before the game finally launches.
as someone who has waited 2-3 years for this since backing on kickstarter, i refuse to let the madhouse ruin my hype.
MY HYPE IS AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!!!

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 am

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I had a very steady framerate in the Toybox, but then again I have a pretty high end PC rig. I believe I remember Jim Sterling playing Poi on Steam (another collect-a-thon game) and it sounded like he wasn't exactly enjoying it. I don't think these types of games are his cup of tea, and judging from his BotW review, I believe he has a hard time staying mostly objective when critiquing. Just something I've noticed.

I was a fan of Jim Sterling for a long time, even a couple years before he left the Escapist, but after some of his thoughts on what feminists say about the game industry and the whole BotW thing, not just his score mind you, I've gotten kind of a bad vibe from him. I feel he tends to try and take an unpopular opinion on something for publicity. Other gaming news sites tend to talk about him at times, including both times he got DDoS'd (which for some reason nobody else got DDoS'd for the same reasons but worse). I've just become very skeptical of the guy.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm

It is important to note that framerate is not necessarily tied to updates. E.g. in Unity you can use fixedupdate to make sure that the controls are read in fixed intervals. Though, if the framerate is not consistent, this can lead to some really nasty behaviour...

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:30 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”