Early reviews

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet

Re: Early reviews

Postby Piet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:21 pm

ontels

Postby ontels » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't think it matters that much anyway. I think Yooka-Laylee will sell quite well at retail simply because the box looks kid friendly. There aren't that many out nowadays besides the Lego games.
Pagies in cagies

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:42 pm

ontels

Postby ontels » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm

If they didn't then all of the journalists would be like "Playtonic hold back review copy's! Suspicious behavior from indie studio, broken game!?"
Pagies in cagies

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:41 pm

"while digital codes will be dispatched within the week so that backers can pre-load and play the game!"

When do digital game rewards dispatch?

Digital Game Rewards for Steam, GOG and Xbox One will be sent out this week so that backers on those platforms can pre-load the game in time for release day. PS4 codes will be dispatched and immediately playable on Monday, April 10 in time for Yooka-Laylee’s first worldwide release in Australia and New Zealand.

----

I guess we misinterpreted that we were able to play the game earlier :p we just "pre-loaded" it.
Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Poi and FreezeMe are bad examples. Sub-par games that steal a lot of assets from other projects. But I get your point.

Also ontels nails it about the review copies. You're really hosed if you do and hosed if you don't. I've seen games have an embargo until after the street release and it's all "they must know the game is terrible" / "shady developers" / "blah blah". The video gaming community is really awful. I'm so glad I've moved away from it into the board game and pinball communities. I still play video games but this is the only forum I talk about them with in ANY capacity anymore.
Make the forum great again.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:47 am

Stop picking your nose

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm a phd student in computer science, so no, the programming is no problem (besides the obvious thing of getting used to programming for a 3d video game, which requires some math that is not used in what I usually do in computer science). But what is more of a problem is always thinking about performant ways of doing stuff and in particular visual design. I'm working together with a friend (for level design) my wife (for artwork) and my friend's cousin (for music), but 3d art is killing me. Hence, the game is looking quite blocky at the moment and that may stay this way right until release...

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”